Pennsic War XXXIII

Kalum

Alright, seein' as how I be bein' new 'round here. I'll pose this e're question to ya'll. Who be goin to Pennsic War? I noticed it wasn't listed on the calendar. Tsk Tsk

So who be goin? Who be needin' a place to stay?

Nice to see that you made it over Kalum !

Captain Duncan McGuyver

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Juryrig

MDRF Based Social & Renfaire Crew

The Juryrig

Port Tortuga

A Piracy based Pennsic household

B09 Block, The Highlands (Up Hill & Left)

Port Tortuga

• 2 weeks later...

I am Captain Mathaniel Roberts of the East Kingdom Ship The Loose Cannon, My crew and I will be making our first raid at the up coming Pennsic War. Till now we have only been to local events testing the waters, before heading to any foreign shores. Hope to see you and many others there. :D

Captain Nicholas Sparewe

The Loose Cannon

"Ita Deverus Quando Hic Adveni..."

"Ne Aviusum, Prospeculorari!"

"Nihil Privatus"

If I had the money and chance to get there from north Texas, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Alas, my lord and I are rather broke at the moment hehe

Most people want to be the sun to shine upon the brightest days.

I would rather be the moon to brighten up the darkest hours.

I am Captain Mathaniel Roberts of the East Kingdom Ship The Loose Cannon, My crew and I will be making our first raid at the up coming Pennsic War. Till now we have only been to local events testing the waters, before heading to any foreign shores. Hope to see you and many others there. :rolleyes:

You'll have to make it a point to come out on the Pirate Raid night then! E'ery pirate that's worth their salt comes out for that at Pennsic. If'n you and yer crew need any help on what to expect from war lemme know. This'll be my 19th and it be always good to know the waters in which you sail

:ph34r:

Pirate raid night? haven't heard of that. 'Course, since I work security shifts, I may have dealt with it and just not known it. :rolleyes:

Come by and say hello. I'm in the front corner of B08, the gunner's camp, and St. Barbara Central. If I'm not there, I could be at the battery position on the NW corner of the battlefield. Or, I'm on the marshal's radio channel as GUNNER ONE.

Fair warning!! Flinlocks are verboten at Pennsic, unless they are converted to earlier styles. I will be enforcing that.

Nobody is allowed to bring powder to Pennsic unless it is officially sanctioned as part of the gun crews. That means it gets cleared through me, and all powder will be stored in my central magazine for the duration. It will be issued as needed.

Sorry to be hardarsed about this, but those are the rules and I am on staff. This comes under the safety regs, and with 12000 people, we HAVE to enforce them, and we will.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

B08?! Damn yer close to us. We're off the map near B03. Small world ain't it?

If you've worked security you've more than likely had to deal with the pirate raid night....Actually now that I be thinkin' of it it doesn't really have a name persay, but it does infact happen! Folks from Raven Spittle, Black Corsairs, Iymec, ourselves and a few other of the pirate groups get together and raise a lil hell.

So true on the powder! Don't even think about bringin' it to war with ya. I do have a question about a boarding sword with a flintlock that's attached. Note that the flintlock can't be fired. It's merely ornamental. Forsee any problems with this?

• 4 weeks later...
I do have a question about a boarding sword with a flintlock that's attached. Note that the flintlock can't be fired. It's merely ornamental. Forsee any problems with this?

Non functional weapons are not my area. I'm only concerned with the ones that use powder and show up on the line, at the classes, or that get fired illegally agound the camp.

Would I be happy to see it? Not really, not if it can't be documented. I believe in the pre-1600 rule and flintlocks aren't.

Look at it this way- pirates have a very shaky rep in the Society, unfortunately well earned. Walking around in non period kit, carrying non-period weapons just reinforces the stereotype.

Come out in pre-1600 kit with correct weapons and you do a lot more good for yourself and all the nautical personae.

Just FYI Here is the schedule for the nautical track from the A&S office:

Development of Ships in the SCA Period

Captain Elias Gedney.

A timeline & discussion of the evolution of major ship types in western Europe 600-1600.

Sponsored by the Nautical Guild of St Erasmus.

Mon 16th 2:00 pm AS 12;

Wed 18th 3:00 pm AS 4.

Early Methods of Navigation

Lord Leon the Navigator.

An overview of period navigational methods from Loadstone to Astrolabe. Class will have hands on experience with instruments such as the Arabic Kamal, Sun-compasses, & Backstaffs; and will cover hand-crafting your own navigational instruments. Limited materials.

Mon 16th 9:00 am AS 4.

Nautical Persona Roundtable

Captain Elias Gedney.

An open forum for discussion of issues related to nautical personae & their portrayal within the SCA.

Tue 17th 1:00 pm AS 8;

Fri 20th 1:00 pm AS 9.

Period or Non-Period Pirates?

Captain Elias Gedney.

A field guide to telling period from non-period nautical recreation.

Tue 17th 11:00 am AS 8.

Viking Boats: Construction & Operation

Skapti Herjolfsson.

Learn about the construction & operation of Viking boats.

Mon 16th 4:30 pm AS 4.

Hawkyns

:lol:

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

By this time next Friday, I'll be driving the truck to Pennsic. Doesn't everyone need to rent a 10foot box truck to go on vacation?

Don't forget, B08, at the shrine of St. Barbara. Stop in and say hello!!

Hawkyns

:lol:

rod_21.jpg

Considers if her budget will handle her renting the trailor and the plane ticket. sigh... nope. :ph34r:

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Come out in pre-1600 kit with correct weapons and you do a lot more good for yourself and all the nautical personae.

I'll admit I've always wanted to see this. Do you have to be a member of the SCA to attend? If not, it would be tempting to beg/borrow/steal an early snaphaunce and throw together a Tudor sailor's kit.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'll admit I've always wanted to see this. Do you have to be a member of the SCA to attend? If not, it would be tempting to beg/borrow/steal an early snaphaunce and throw together a Tudor sailor's kit.

Blackjohn

No, you don't have to be a member, but it is cheaper for members than it is non-members. Go to http://www.pennsicwar.org or http://www.pennsic.net fr more info (the second site is an unofficial one, but is helpful for people new to pennsic and the SCA)

Thanks for the links. I wasn't sure about the whole member/non-member thing, and I seemed to recall YEARS ago the medieval group I was in would hire their archers out as mercenaries.

To go or not to go, that is the question!?!

:ph34r:

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.