Bougainville Voyage 2005

the Royaliste

What's yer boat like? I read on your crew's website that you still have some fiberglass work to do... and nothing says period like fiberglass boats!

...that said, I've got some glass work to do on my own boat (onna other hand, it's not a period boat...)

So because my units website says we only have one boat, you don't think I have my own personal one? Get a life.....I live on an island...I've been sailing for years....of course I'm going to have a modern one.....a nice 26 ft schooner......and as for the fiberglass boat, the mold it was formed on is based on historical construction and drawings....so even though it's fiberglass it looks no different than a regular boat......besides, it's not going to be used for the crew much anyway as it's to small to hold all the members. We're working on building a 40 ft. half galley from scratch using period drawings, construction, etc. But it's going to take us a year or two to complete the project.

Sorry to hear the event was called off also.....but I have some other big events I'm going to in 2005 anyway.......

And as for the public complaining....they're not going to do that cause they don't know the difference between what true pirates acted like and looked like than what they saw on Pirates of the Carribean.....They were brought up with weird, fanciful, ideas about pirates and everything and they never change. That's why they don't complain. They're just uneducated, and very few people try and teach them the truth. You can still have fun, and do it right. Trust me, I've done it. Hell, I'm always having fun at events, but I'm still teaching the public the truth, and they're always just as, or just more interested than when at pirate fests. Doing it right isn't hard, I've actually found how to do it cheap, and mainly all it involves is you taking some time to actually read for once. I don't see why people make a big deal about being authentic means you can't have fun, or that it's SOOOO expensive, cause it's not. Just a matter of reading, making some cheap clothing to replace your neon flashy rags, and going out for the sole purpos to educate the public.

So because my units website says we only have one boat, you don't think I have my own personal one? Get a life.....I live on an island...I've been sailing for years....of course I'm going to have a modern one.....a nice 26 ft schooner......and as for the fiberglass boat, the mold it was formed on is based on historical construction and drawings....so even though it's fiberglass it looks no different than a regular boat......besides, it's not going to be used for the crew much anyway as it's to small to hold all the members. We're working on building a 40 ft. half galley from scratch using period drawings, construction, etc. But it's going to take us a year or two to complete the project.

Relax! I was just asking, and it was just a little gentle fun-poking. And besides, I have no way of knowing whether or not you have a personal boat. About the half-galley... sounds great. I'd love to see pictures of it and the smaller fiberglass one you're building.

And in any case... I think we're all in this for the same reason: to have fun (if it wasn't fun, why would we do it at all?), and to learn a little about history and our own inner character. I will never go out for the SOLE purpose of educating the public. I'll go out for my own enjoyment and for the sake of how I'd like to spend my precious Saturdays. As fer insulting people about their lack of a life.... I'm spending mine doing exactly what I want to be doing. And nothing could possibly feel better. Like Royaliste said, I wasn't looking for grief... I didn't even see anything in this post to get you riled up in the first place. Just a captain and crew excited about an event and looking for ways to make it happen.

There's a thread on the Capt. Twill page for 'Authenticty nazi' debates......To step out of character and 'pirate speak' here, and stand on internet protocol, this smacks of flaming, and as the starter of this thread, I seeded it for constructive information regarding our participation in this proposed adventure. If you read from the head of the column, I posted all facts addressed to me as 'public knowledge' for the pursuit of enjoyment in participation at this event. This is not a forum generally acknowledged for dissent at this level. We are generally of 'like minds here, and that also includes 'Hollywood'.....So..........If it's negative discourse you seek, seek it elswhere, mate.

7CsMissionScroll.gif

Aye! And I take personal offense to those who don't like to be poked yet slam "Hollywood" and films like Pirates of the Caribbean.

Some of us ARE in it for the fun of it only! Others for the history and realism. As an entertainer of 25 years, I say if it's Hollywood's romantic twists and fun-loving swashbuckling that sparks the interest then eventually it may lead them to the historically accurate information and who knows, maybe even being as anal as others.

An it's a damn shame the event was cancelled as the good Cap'n and many a crew member were lookin' forward to getting the Royaliste back to Bougainville.

**Snappy salute**

Aye, aye, Stynky!...Awright, ye scurvy dogs, ye heard the man, stand down them deck guns!!..You there, put that blunderbuss in the rack wif' the rest!!..An' put alla them cutlass' back ina barrel 'afore ye hurt somebody!!..'Locks back below now, let's be makin' some sail...........All hands to the braces...Set tops'ls, and get the bloody 'ell outta 'ere!.......

If you need sponsors and the like try going to travel agencies and some of the larger cruise lines..My dad used to have a skit but it was cowboy stuff and he was on the news and in the paper and had sponsors roll in that way as well...I hope that helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png