About PotC

Katarina Leigh

I know ye piratey-types may not be discussin' philosophies too often, but I figured maybe someone had some info. It occured to me that there could be some symbolism in the apple that Barbossa always carries- you know, life, maybe it's a reference to Adam and Eve and the original sin... Maybe they discuss this in the special features, I'm honestly not sure. (I tend not to want to see how they make special scenes and sets if it's a movie I'd like to be real :ph34r: ) Or, it's possible this has been discussed before and I didn't realize it. If so, I'd gladly read that thread instead. :ph34r:

Another thing- is the "poisoned" part a reference to another disney movie..? Or is that another symbol of some sort..?

I'm just curious as I always am.

"Dum Spiro Spero"- "While I breathe, I hope"

I think Barbossa just had a thing for apples, plain and simple. His favorite food and he couldn't wait to taste it again. But yeah, it could also go with that symbolism thing of forbidden fruit and such. Foreshadowing that he'll never be able to taste it again. When he said, "You know the first thing I'm going to do once the curse is lifted? *then looks at Elizabeth* Eat a whole bushel of apples!" Right there, that could be the symbolism of forbidden fruit. Not only did he want to taste food again, but also feel a woman again. Guaranteed if Elizabeth was the one to break the curse Barbossa would have had his way with her, no doubt about it! Mmmm....nice thought on that image. :huh: Oh, yes...anyway... the poisoned part. Well, that's a normal reaction to think when one has been kidnapped. But since this was Disney and he held up the apple when she said that it was rather funny. So Snow White-like. lol!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

From what I read from No Quarter Given back in July, from what Lee Arenberg said... Rush & Verbinski thought of the idea. Kinda a reference to Snow White.

Plus... Long John had apples with him in Treasure Island. I think apples have a certain pyratical symbolism there, as fruit was a luxury then.

But what I have been told is the symbolism of the color of the apples.

Green apples meaning "Redemption", red apples meaning "Sin".

I even noticed when Elizabeth ate... she had meat, followed by bread & red wine... now... since it's just Easter, any of you who are familiar with religion... bread meaning the Body & red wine the Blood. Kinda like a communion to sanctify & cleans the sinner, or whatever to be received. :huh: She nearly fell for it all, but didn't have the apple. But... Jack ate the green apple.

The blood.. well, a varity of ways again... but again, back to religious points here... remember, blood was spilled to the Aztec Gods... though they don't know the specific reason other than they know who was mostly sacrificed... captured warriors.

Or, like Christ who shed his blood to wash away the sins... hence Will's blood, being innocent, besides having his father's blood as well.

Another would be.. if Will died, would the God's allow the curse to be lifted? The being on the side of the chest was not an Aztec God, but Inca... being the Supreme Inca God... one of his ... things... was morals. blood must be spilt, yes.... but if Will was killed, would be murder... more than likely, Viracocha would not have agreed to the death of an innocent despite it was the blood of Bootstrap as well. Viracocha would not punish an innocent.

Green apples are ok. A bit tart, sour. Red apples watery, depending on which ones you get. I enjoy the golden apples. Because they are not tart, not too sweet, soft & juicy... etc.

Eve was the one wo originally sinned & took the forbidden fruit at the advice of the snake. I don't think Barbossa would be the Adam symbol, but more the snake... if you look at the heavy necklace around Barbossa's neck.. which looks like some poison holder or something... in a large snake ornament.

The poisoned part could be in reference to the Snow White bit. But the apples could be a variety of others like Treasure Island. But the symbolism of the green apples means "Redemption". Hence, that is what Barbossa was after.. to be redeemed from the curse.

Rock on about this subject. I enjoy it greatly. :huh:

A lot that can still be played off of with the Aztec part of it. :: evil grinz::

Anastazia

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

To quote Freud "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

To quote Freud "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"

To Freud, a cigar is never just a cigar. ;)

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guaranteed if Elizabeth was the one to break the curse Barbossa would have had his way with her, no doubt about it! Mmmm....nice thought on that image. 

Oh..... smiley_aair.gif being a little smarter then that little spoilet brat virgin...he would have to have his "way" with me..i'd be all to willing :(

hero.jpg

She was quite the sweet meat indeed!

I do know he said he couldn't feel the warmth of a woman's flesh..but this, does this mean he'll eat her raw? :o

Hmmm.... most likely not until she's raw.... but I have no doubt she'll be chafed a little. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

B):huh:B) It's just a guy thing when I said she was quite the sweet meat. Ye know, she's hot, sexy, attractive!

But aye, Iron Bess, she would indeed have been chafed a little to be sure. I wouldn't doubt she'd have some trouble walking either! B)

I do know he said he couldn't feel the warmth of a woman's flesh..but this, does this mean he'll eat her raw? :lol:

Hmmm.... most likely not until she's raw.... but I have no doubt she'll be chafed a little. :lol:

Ok, no more road trips for you with Red Maria....she's rubbing off.

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

But aye, Iron Bess, she would indeed have been chafed a little to be sure. I wouldn't doubt she'd have some trouble walking either! B)

(Shrug) Ahh well, everybody needs a hobby. B)

Yo ho!! B) (Or should that be.... Yo OH!!!!! B)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I do know he said he couldn't feel the warmth of a woman's flesh..but this, does this mean he'll eat her raw? :huh:

Hmmm.... most likely not until she's raw.... but I have no doubt she'll be chafed a little. :huh:

Oh Bess is like that normally! She doesn't need any help from me Zorg! :huh:

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I do know he said he couldn't feel the warmth of a woman's flesh..but this, does this mean he'll eat her raw? :huh:

Hmmm.... most likely not until she's raw.... but I have no doubt she'll be chafed a little. :huh:

HEY!!!!!! :huh:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

HEY!!!!!! :huh:

:huh::huh:

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

So much for the philosphical discussion...

Now, now.... who said philosophical had to be dull?

No harm meant, just piratical obervations 'tis all....

You go right on ahead with yer discussions. :ph34r:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif