Swabbie needs a muzzleloader

Stitch

Arrrrr...this swabbie be look'n fer a good board'n pistol of quality an reliability. I've not much experince with muzzleloaders yet...jus' modern pistols, so's I be look'n fer some advice from ye more experinced mates. Look'n for somthing late 1670 to 1730 or so, I found this here piece on www.middlesexvillagetrading.com an it looked quite intrest'n...any advice? :lol:

blunderbusspistol.jpg

This Blunderbuss pistol is .50 cal at breech with flared muzzle and brass barrel secured with steel key. Other features include an engraved steel triggerguard, a safety catch to allow locking it in the half cock position, and a rainproof pan.The spring-loaded triangular bayonet folds back on top of barrel when not in use and is released by a catch on the barrel tang. The steel thimble holds a wooden rammer with a brass tip.

$299 plus shipping :lol:

Signaturecopy.gif

Depends how accurate you want to be. The boarding pistol with bayonet works for mid 18th C, but is not credible for late 17th. The lockplate is too straight and the entire pistol has extremely 18th lines and furniture.

That's not to say you couldn't use it and be happy with it, but being able to justify it in the earlier period would be a fantasy.

To truly be able to deal with the 1670 date, you'd need to go with the doglock from the same company. That's basically a cav pistol from the English Civil War period, 1640-1650.

The dog lock is heavier and longer, if that's a consideration.

Like so much of this game we play, it depends on what you're doing. If you're only doing pirate festivals and having fun with it, the baording pistol would be fine. If you do a historically accurate impression and intend to do living history and re-enactments, the doglock would serve you better.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I don't know what other reenacting you do, but the Royaliste is a mid-18th century ship and this pistol would fit right in. The Tales of the Seven Seas folks are about the most easy-going reenactors I've ever met when it comes to authenticity, so they don't fuss about me bringing me caplocks aboard. From a distance there's no one going to notice the date on yer piece, just the smoke and thunder of a fyne black powder gun.

I've been eyein' the blunderbuss from the same company (Middlesex Village Trading). Since they're in the states, do you know if they ship their arms with the touchhole drilled? The Canadians are restricted by their export laws.

B)

I'd actually prefer a percussion capped blunderbuss, but I've never seen a firin' reproduction o' one. Seem to be plenty o' antiques out there, but I'd rather not shoot an ancient piece o' history.

B)

Many thanks ta ye Hawkyns an Darkthing...be right handy advice fer sure. Sail'n with the Royaliste gives me freedom ta use later era firearms, mid ta late 18th c., but I been more fascinated wit the Bucaneer'n an Golden Age eras meself. Been put'n together me gear fer sometime now an most of it's late 17th c. Me hearts in Jamacer fore Port Royal be swollowed up by the sea an Tortuga was all but forgotten. See'n how most me adventures be on the Royaliste an Pyrate faires...not much live,n history me thinks me may have ta acquire saveral pieces. Doglock fer me bucaneer'n fancy an a later era piece jus' cause a proper pyrate kin never have too many weapons... :)

A pint a grog ta ye both... B)

Signaturecopy.gif

been eyein' the blunderbuss from the same company (Middlesex Village Trading). Since they're in the states, do you know if they ship their arms with the touchhole drilled? The Canadians are restricted by their export laws.

I haven't contacted them but I assume they are able to ship with the touch holes drilled. I belive federal laws are less restrictive here concerning muzzleloaders. I'm waiting to hear back from Loyalist Arms an Reapair ta find out if they will ship with the touch holes predrilled. I'm not sure but I get the feeling they ship the locks or the barrel seperate so they kin get around the export laws, but I don't know fer sure yet.

I'll post as soon as I hear more.

B)

Signaturecopy.gif