Townsend 18th Century Shirt

I've worn one, and found the collar felt a little odd. However, I borrowed it, so I don't know if it just didn't fit, or if there are other options they offer when you order, or what. I used to have a rather thick neck (of course, post surgery, my neck is two sizes smaller) and that could be why it felt odd. Unbuttoned, it felt okay.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I used to have a rather thick neck (of course, post surgery, my neck is two sizes smaller) and that could be why it felt odd. Unbuttoned, it felt okay.

Pardon me for asking, but what kind of surgery takes 2 inches off your neck? I have a husband with a thick skull. Can they do this kind of surgery on his head?

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Actually, one can make adjustments upon an errant husband at home and without having to seek the assistant of expensive doctors and medical facilities. You simply need a frying pan or rolling pin, a comical scowl, and a shriek that leaps an octave in the middle of calling your husband's name. For instance, if your husband's name is walter, you would yell "Wall-terrrr!!!" (the 'terrrr' represents the octave jump, of course).

Anyway, the neck reduction was just a side effect. Actually, I had a whole body reduction. I now look like a child wearing his father's suits, which would be funny if I hadn't just bought both of those suits. But really I had an abcess that needed to be removed, and then came back, and what with this and what with that, due to healing and recovery and GI complications, I lost about twenty-five pounds in three weeks, some fat, some muscle, and in either case way too much to lose in under a month. Why, I've had to resign my position as president of the Big Pipes Club, because my (now) pipe-cleaners arms evoke nothing but laughter and derision from the rest of the musclemen.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Stupid Townsend havin' cool stuff...

Just got me bank acct. down to about $65... not only did I get the shirt, I got a haversack, a neck stock, a blanket shirt and a pair of dress gloves.

Oh well, 'tis all stuff I needed anyway. I want to get off my loaner gear dependancy.

Oohh... just found $20 in my wallet! Now I don't feel so bad.

A neck stock...... E's a gentleman, E, is. Next y'know, e'll be eatin' at the tables o' the bloody gentry....... :huh:

Seriously, though, there's not much difference between sailor and pirate/privateer for the 18th century. The 'pirate image' owes much more to Hollywood and Howard Pyle than it does to reality. Piracy depended on opportunity, who's watching, how the voyage has gone, and if a bit o' quiet larceny is really going to upset you.

Townsend's stuff is top of the line for off the peg clothing. I've been buying from him for the last 15 years, both clothing and gear. The only way to get better is to get custom tailored. The 18th C shirt will feel odd until you get used to it. It does not fit or feel like a modern shirt.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Pirates were sailors...soldiers...runaway slaves...pirate clothing an gear

was just about anything any common sailor or soldier would be wear'n at the time. Besides some of thier plunder consisted of merchant goods an fabrics be'n traded at the time also. Be'n a pirate means the freedom ta wear just about anything available ta commoners or aristocrats alike.

Just so long as it wasn't loose enough ta hang ya from the rig'n when about yer daily duties...anything goes. One last point, they spent alot o' time at sea so they be a bit dirtier an more ragged than a landlubbers clothes.

Have fun an get ta know the time period fer the look yer goin for. Clothes went in an out o' style jus' like now days.

:huh:

Signaturecopy.gif

Part o' the attractive thing about the stuff I ordered is that it was used well through the Regency period. Since I attend a lot of Regency/Victorian balls, the clothing can work well. My waistcoat (made it for $30 in fabric) is flat-waisted and shawl-lapeled. This makes it fantastic for a Regency gentleman, but since it's wine/burgundy, I can also pull off a mid/late-19th century Tombstone style with only a change of shirt. The 18th century shirt will give me a nice late 18th century look for balls, and a mid/late-18th for sailing. I love versatility! (BTW... that's what the neck stock's for. No fancy sailor here)

I used to have a rather thick neck (of course, post surgery, my neck is two sizes smaller) and that could be why it felt odd.  Unbuttoned, it felt okay.

Pardon me for asking, but what kind of surgery takes 2 inches off your neck? I have a husband with a thick skull. Can they do this kind of surgery on his head?

I find a 2x4 very handy, Pearl. :lol:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I used to have a rather thick neck (of course, post surgery, my neck is two sizes smaller) and that could be why it felt odd.  Unbuttoned, it felt okay.

I find a 2x4 very handy, Pearl. :lol:

Me mate would probably require a 4x4.

Bloody Jack Madd,

Glad to see you all well, Mate.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Me mate would probably require a 4x4.

I like the Land Rover Defender, myself.......

Got a couple of the blanket shirts. One I left as is for 18th C, another I cut the collar down for 17th century. I love that coarse wool. Really keeps me warm.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Me tax return is burning a hole in me pocket, but if I can just hold out, My mother the seamstree has promised great things for me when she returns from wintering over in Cali...

And thanks, BHP. You might be black-hearted, but you are a pearl.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Desert Pyrate....

I've not heard of anyone from any of the Rev War or F & I regtments getting any attire from Jas. A couple people were pondering it, but decided to opt with the pattern. I've seen their stuff at Silver Lake, WI a couple times. Not too bad looking, but.. most people I know make their own by buying the patterns or have someone they know make it with the pattern. A couple people go through G. Gedney Godwin - granted they are MUCH more expensive. Ghost Forge is pretty good though. Though a few other sulters out east are decent enough & are found at re-enactments. Though.. in your location, not sure.

I haven't attempted to allow them to make clothes... I just buy the pattern... better that way.

But the rest of the items they have there.. I am more than pleased with. Including they tents... worth getting my friends!

B) & yes.. I know what you mean about over spending with Townsend. Just SO much stuff that you just gotta have!

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!