The Confederate Privateers

capnwilliam

I'm in the thinking / early planning stages for a new group - an e-group to get us launched, but once afloat, the sea's the limit! - to be called THE CONFEDERATE PRIVATEERS.

This group will deal with all naval and nautical aspects of the Old Confederacy; but I want it to be something more than just a

study group. I want it to be for those who regard themselves as the loyal sons and daughters of those who sailed the seas (and the inland waters too) in Confederate service; who share the vision they once shared.

This way, we will be tied together in our hearts as well as our heads; to feel a real sense of being shipmates on a voyage together!

So far I have started an e-mail list:

confederateprivateers@yahoogroups.com

and I welcome all like-minded shipmates to please come aboard!

:)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I'm in. Let me know what's what.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Aye, got yer post today, Black Deacon. (It took a second for me to realize that you were the one who'd just signed the articles!)

I'm going to send out a longer e-message this week, to the Yahoo list.

Capt. William

CapnWilliam If you do make back to Charleston sometime be sure to check out the library here. They have a large section devoted to the confederacy with plenty of books on the privateers who sailed from here as well as the blocked runners of the time. And don't forget that the crews of the Hunnley are buried here as well. Magnolia Cemetary can be a very interesting place to visit if your into southern history and old graveyards.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Aye, I'm into both! A member of Save Our Cemeteries: a local preservation group. Jan and I want to make it to Charleston, sometime within the next couple years; I expect we'll have to pass on the trip this year, though, as we're already booked to go to Morehead City for the pirate festival that isn't going to happen!

I noticed that there was a sort of private library there; the Library Society of Charleston, or some such. (?)

Capt. William

P.S. One of me old SCA mates made it to Charleston for the interment of the Hunley crew (he was also a Civil War reenactor). Alas, he's gone now himself; killed in a motorcycle accident this past Christmas Eve.

B)

CW

• 3 weeks later...

Shipmates, our venture so far has exceeded me wildest hopes and expectations! Launched as an e-group on 26 March just past, we already have 16 crewmen (crew women, too!), and have posted some 97 messages!

We've adopted the JEFF DAVIS, an historical privateer, as our virtual vessel. Every crew member is adopting the role of an actual person aboard, and learning about that crewman's skills. This is going to be jolly fun and a great way to learn history! :)

If you're interested in Civil War nautical stuff, please board us, at

confederateprivateers@yahoogroups.com

Capt. William