Seafaring Novels and the Like.

Saber

Don't know if this has been discussed before but I've been given a copy of a great 1700's sea novel.

The title is "Artemis" and it revolves around a central character by the name of Kydd.

If you like looking up working parts of a ship and reading in what seems like probable historical sea talk then this books for you.

Good thing is its part of a series so there's more good reading once your finished with Artemis.

The author is Julian Stockwin..

See what you think.

Saber

PS.. Captain Royaliste, I'll be bringing the novel this weekend, I think you'll enjoy it Sir.

I've got the first book in that series. I was very impressed with it. After reading it I emailed Julian himself with some comments and he actually sent me back a real nice message, and signed me up on his e-newsletter. Seems like a stand-up guy!

However I confess I slacked off, as I lately fell into tackling the complete Aubrey/Maturin series, which will take some time yet. :)

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I'm reading the Aubrey/Maturin series too... just started HMS Surprise

I'll have to look for Artemis, though... sounds good!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Just ran out to Border's Books, and picked up "Artemis"... I also picked up the first book in the series, called "Kydd"... don't miss this one, either! They guy told me the next book, "Mutiny" will be out this summer sometime... good stuff!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Saber you have attached yourself to a fine series. I am awaiting Mutiny it sounds very interesting. I have corresponded with Mr. Stockwin a couple of times and found him to be a true fan's author. He has a great website and his Bosun newsletter has contest in which the first few to answer questions from his book win autographed copies and other fine booty.

Julian Stockwin

Happy Reading

KP

I've read Kydd, haven't gotten around ta readin' Artemis yet. Tis sittin on the shelf in me great cabin. I liked it, but, alas, the world outside o' me own fancy takes up a great deal o' time. Also, another good trilogy involving pirates is the Brethren of the Coast series by James Nelson. Oh, and good YA fiction for all those teenage pirate lasses out there (meself included) is Pirates! by Celia Rees.