Calling all Pirates! Need Help if ye can

Ahoy, been a we bit fer me here at the Pub. Lot O' landlubber bizness to tend to of late. I have been scouring everywhere fer many a moon and a day to locate me some o this here fabric but hence no plunder fer me. So I pose the question ta ye. Has anyone seen or know what it is or where it......the fabric used on Captain Barbossa's Frock. I have also noticed (thanks to me sharp eye, no not the glass one) just recently that it is used in the film quite a bit. It appear to be the same type stuff, different color of course, used for TWO of Gov, Swann's uniforms and a background character. Need very much to find these fabrics if ye all have seen them about.

Thankee much,

Jack :huh:

Looks like a woven brocade, I've seen something similar to it, but as for dead on, I'm not sure if I could get that far. When movie companies get their fabic they go EVERYWHERE. Their designers have the world at their fingertips, so it could be spiecal weaved.

I found the stuff I'm talking about for a bodice at Joann's fabric, in the flat fold cuts table. It's tan with raised diamonds on it, with coloured dots on each triangle tip. It would work.

A good question there, m' friend. Not sure either where to get ahold of the material either. I've only seen one person able to find the material. & more than likely, it's not available any more in the vast majority of fabric stores which I have noticed to only carry a type of fabric for a spell then discontinue it. B) Silly & sad I know. Most fabric stores I have gone to were not that helpful either. ::le sigh:: goes to show how much fun it is to live in a poduck unintelligent city. :huh:

Again.. I wish ya luck.

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Agreed, very good question. I also thought it looked like woven brocade. I was fortuante enough to take a very close look at an exhibit of costumes in Hollywood... and all I can really tell ye (from me limited knowledge) that it is heavy and VERY rough woven material. Ye can see the vertical and horizontal threads used in the weave. For the color, which is an even trickier subject, it seems... it looks like a blueish color, very greyed down or faded.

Try fabric stores first and when you don't find it (well, most likely ye won't) try a downtown fabric district or identify a similar material and buy it online. Good luck!

Captain Wolfy Wench

Thank ye all fer the response, I had hoped someone may have seen it. I did find one piece of fabric that IS it but the cloth and color are wrong and unfortunately the person didn't know the manufacturer it came from. I do know however it is an embroiderd fabric of a tight weave. It is embroidered from behind leaving small dots on the front and large dash-like figures on the back between the dots. This all I know so far. The piece I found was yellow on a ribbed fabric. Needless to say.......totally useless for what I need. If'n ye could keep a weather eye out for or come across said fabric I would appreciate it. I would buy the whole bolt if need be.

Jack

Thank ye all fer the response, I had hoped someone may have seen it. I did find one piece of fabric that IS it but the cloth and color are wrong and unfortunately the person didn't know the manufacturer it came from. I do know however it is an embroiderd fabric of a tight weave. It is embroidered from behind leaving small dots on the front and large dash-like figures on the back between the dots. This all I know so far. The piece I found was yellow on a ribbed fabric. Needless to say.......totally useless for what I need. If'n ye could keep a weather eye out for or come across said fabric I would appreciate it. I would buy the whole bolt if need be.

Jack

Ye be right on the money lad! But it is a polyfiber blend and rough to the tuch but not to rough as Captain Wolfy Wench said. Also the same stuff they used on Will's waste coat just flipped to use the dashes and not the dots.

Most of been Terrible for you Jack , It bloody well is now! - Capt'n Jack Sparrow

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly suspect the material was gotten at Michael Levine's in Los Angeles. It's the biggest material outlet there is, and it's where just about every Hollywood costumer goes to. The place is located in the garment district of Los Angles. I haven't been there in ages, but they've got two stores, one across the street that carries the biggest supply of tapestry fabrics there is, and the other one carries a huge selection of other materials.

If you have an outlet store that carries large quantities of fabrics used for furniture, you might find it.

Here in San Diego county I discovered UFO Fabric outlet in Vista. Tons and tons of fabrics on rolls used for furniture and stuff.

I bought 1 yard (at 7.00 a yard), that was large enough to get a good bodice and other things I made out of it.

Rumba Rue

**Ladies Sewing Circle and Terriost Society** :ph34r: