Filling in missing items for my kit

more progress.

This is the knife roll. It has space for the Big Mike Knife, which isnt available right now, and some sort of sharpening stone TBD.

A couple of these knives are Russell "Green River" blades for which I made plain maple handles a while back. There is the cleaver and another set of 3 modern blades with the name polished off.

The black leather will be attached at the top and fold over the blades as pic 2 shows.

The end flaps fold in and there will be a leather tie on the outside once rolled up...

kroll1.jpg

kroll2.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the rains at Fort Gains kinda ruined my bed, I've decided to reconstruct my mattress into an actual/appropriate bed roll that can more be easily carried. I also cleaned out/replace the buckwheat hulls in my pillow.

PXL_20240402_001258120.jpg.6831c2782b6874dfc1a9a4ba5716fa30.jpg

PXL_20240402_001432033.jpg.341c42499b5d04abea4a16907504356e.jpg

PXL_20240402_002550949.jpg.80d2ada05dfa349805e1a587633b9893.jpg

11 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

After the rains at Fort Gains kinda ruined my bed, I've decided to reconstruct my mattress into an actual/appropriate bed roll that can more be easily carried. I also cleaned out/replace the buckwheat hulls in my pillow.

That looks cushy!

and it reminds me. I need to make leather straps for mine...

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

3 hours ago, madPete said:

That looks cushy!

Thanks, it's pretty comfy.

In that picture, it's rolled up with a couple wool blankets. I cut up an old leather belt to make the straps, not sure where I got the buckles from. Just using some hemp rope through the middle as a sling.

On 3/31/2024 at 9:59 PM, madPete said:

more progress.

This is the knife roll. It has space for the Big Mike Knife, which isnt available right now, and some sort of sharpening stone TBD.

A couple of these knives are Russell "Green River" blades for which I made plain maple handles a while back. There is the cleaver and another set of 3 modern blades with the name polished off.

The black leather will be attached at the top and fold over the blades as pic 2 shows.

The end flaps fold in and there will be a leather tie on the outside once rolled up...

kroll1.jpg

kroll2.jpg

Looks fantastic! Well done 😊

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

On 4/1/2024 at 6:59 PM, Stynky Tudor said:

But, can you bounce a quarter off that private!?!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

12 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

Thats a great looking bedroll Stynky!

Thank you!

7 hours ago, madPete said:

No.

On 4/3/2024 at 5:40 AM, Stynky Tudor said:

No.

Could have fooled me. Sure looks like you could.

Here is the finished knife roll and utensils bag...

roll_bag2.jpg

roll_bag.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

17 hours ago, madPete said:
On 4/3/2024 at 5:40 AM, Stynky Tudor said:

No.

Could have fooled me. Sure looks like you could.

I'm using a discarded mattress foam topper, it fits pretty snug inside the bed bag, but it's not all that taught. 

But you're more than welcome to try bouncing a coin on it.

12 hours ago, madPete said:

I'll probably oil it at some point. I'll test on a sample.

Mink Oil?

and here is another goodwill hat I just stiffened. I squared the top a bit and rolled the back side down, front side up.

Just a desperate pyrate cook I be!

simple.jpg

simple3.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

20 hours ago, madPete said:

Here are the knife roll and utility bag after smearing them with olive oil...

Wow, they came out great.

Where did you get the idea to use olive oil?

19 hours ago, madPete said:

Just a desperate pyrate cook I be!

Fantastic!

36 minutes ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Wow, they came out great.

Where did you get the idea to use olive oil?

Fantastic!

I've been using Olive oil as a substitute for Neatsfoot oil. The added benefit is if you leave it in the sun, it darkens and ages to a beautiful dark brown without stain. Stain goes on very uneven. So I started pretreating the leather with water or oil (depending on the dye base) and the dye absorbs more evenly. But even then its a PITA. Since I was treating with oil anyway I experimented with some belts and discovered how nice the leather ages with just oil.

The flip side is it does have a slight smell of olive oil, at least initially, and you dont want to leave olive oiled leather lying around where rodents can get to it or they will chew it. (i.e. in the barn with horses)

IMG_0372.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

1 hour ago, madPete said:

I've been using Olive oil as a substitute for Neatsfoot oil. The added benefit is if you leave it in the sun, it darkens and ages to a beautiful dark brown without stain. Stain goes on very uneven. So I started pretreating the leather with water or oil (depending on the dye base) and the dye absorbs more evenly. But even then its a PITA. Since I was treating with oil anyway I experimented with some belts and discovered how nice the leather ages with just oil.

The flip side is it does have a slight smell of olive oil, at least initially, and you dont want to leave olive oiled leather lying around where rodents can get to it or they will chew it. (i.e. in the barn with horses)

Very cool! I'm going to have to give it a try on my next leather project.

1 hour ago, madPete said:

Old Navy tag in the liner 3.99 at Goodwill

In my earlier years of this hobby, I loved finding old misshapen wool hats from thrift stores or even new wool hats from walmart and target and turning them into pirate hats. I never got the stiffening part down very well and had to rely on whatever a given hat came with. The current batch of hats I'm working on are thicker - more substantial and of course expensive.

Anyway, good finds - great job!