Filling in missing items for my kit

I've been working on kit the last month or so, but been pretty lazy about taking pictures of progress:

- Made a bedroll I can throw down at the barracks or ?. Its mostly done save for some leather straps to secure the roll and maybe also to sling over the shoulder. Its basically an attempt to disguise my inflatable mattress inside a linen mattress cover. Add a wool blanket, leather strap and wallah! Between this and my hammock I should finally be covered.

- Started a pair of period linen breeches. They are getting close, but still adjusting the pattern to make the fit comfortable.

- Collecting/Building a traveling cook implement kit. Flying in and cooking period food in a period setting with period tools is a bit daunting at best, so we've made some compromises. It starts with having the basic implements in forged iron for camp. Will have to rely on somebody bringing cooking pots as that gets a bit awkward and heavy for flying. But, until we get a bit more accomplished in cooking for the masses on period equipment, we will likely cook at the offsite rental unit and transfer to the cooking pots in camp as needed. I will make some sort of traveling bag for the implements, either in leather or heavy linen, probably in the form of a rollup bag. But can't really start this until I have accounted for everything I need. High on the "To Buy"  list is a long fork, a ladle and maybe some tongs to grab food with.

- A wool watchman's cloak. I have a short sailor jacket in wool, but wanted something with more coverage and warmer in case of foul weather. I've seen a few of these around and they seem very versatile and may even substitute for the wool blanket in the bedroll. I've got some charcoal wool and some window pane linen for a lining (same as bedroll)

[Edit] - Following on WIlliam's suggestion to weather our kit... wear my apron when I cook at home to get it a little more "used". It still looks new save for a couple small stains

inside.jpg

roll.jpg

utensil_start.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe consider a tumpline for the bedroll. They are great, and you don't have to do one of those hugely complex woven native style jobs.... a simple 30-ish inch leather strap (about 3" wide, or whatever width you are comfortable with), then add a pair of holes on each end, tie long-ish leather thonging through each hole... and voila, instant tumpline/burden-strap. They are a very diverse and useful carrying tool.
But looking great on the other gear.

Regarding the cookwear, use wooden utensils whenever possible. It's so much lighter, and considering you fly to many (most?) events, it might help a lot. Also, cooking tripod.... doing the "trekking" thing, I have learned that wood tripods (just lash three sticks together) is so much easier than fire irons. I still use the irons at events I drive to out of convenience, but the ease and convenience of lashed sticks is seriously undervalued in the hobby.

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

A tumpline is a great idea, didn't think of that.

The forged utensils I have so far are fairly light, gonna skip the tripod. We already have to coordinate with some one to bring the bigger stuff, like a pot.

I supposes we could always makeshift a wooden one on site

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Ok, made some progress on the watchman cloak this morning. Advice is, find the widest material you can. I started with 5 yards (YES 5 YARDS) 60 inches wide of a charcoal (mixed black and white) suit weight wool. I made one of these for my youngest with just slightly heavier wool and cotton flannel blackwatch (green and black) lining. And it seems plenty warm and reduces the weight somewhat (warm enough for Arizona so take that with a grain of salt).

The plan is for long cloak (mid calf or ankle) with a shoulder cape and lining. I would plan no less than 5 1/2 yards of 60inch wide. Having said that wool is not inexpensive. I found somewhat of a deal on 5 yards already cut that came in 2 pieces. But a full on coating weight wool is gonna be at least $20 a yard and maybe closed to 35-40 depending what you choose.  And dont forget, you need only slightly less for the lining. I chose a heavy window pane linen bought from Joanns online.  So a significant investment!

If you want to do a cloak that goes half circle, you will have to piece it at least minimally. There are several ways to do it, but I chose to extend the corners at the bottom, like wings. I figured it would be less distracting and use smaller pieces than a horizontal seam halfway down the cape.  As it was, I scrimping for fabric already. I would like to have used one large piece instead of two smaller pieces but wasn't sure I could do that. If I make another I will get an extra half yard to make it happen.

With the shoulder cape and the half circle, it has pretty much used up that 5 yards. Altho the material has no pattern, there is definately a grain. The outside (rightside) grain is vertical, inside is horizontal. so if you have a patterned material you may need more to match seams.  I'm doing the seams by machine. Its a lot of yardage to hand sew and I did the shoulder cape mostly by hand, especially the hemmed edges and front. I'll do likewise hemming the bottom and front edge of the main body by hand.

First photo is a rough example of the target - a men's watchman cloak. I was surprised how many originals I found that were red (mostly later 18th century tho)

Next photos are the shoulder cape, the overall size and the pieces (or wings) I used to extend it.

MOnmouthCOuntyMuseum.jpeg

shouldercape.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

oooh, a couple more cooking utensils arrived, a label, strainer, and fork. 

This is probably it for the big stuff, so I may have to make a trip to tandy to look for some leather to make the utensil roll.

Fork_strainer_ladle.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Thanks! I just realized I still have no carving knives. William was looking into one for me, but I guess I need to get after that!

The more I think about these things, the more I have yet to do. Like executing some recipes and sampling them before the next event.

The bedroll was something I had been thinking about for a while. When William said, lets show them our crew coming in with our kit on our backs, I had to make it. But this ole back needs some cush, thus the self inflating mattress. Its really just a cover for the mattress, but at least it hides the modern stuff. Either a wool blanket or the cloak on top and a linen bag stuffed with clothes for a pillow.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

20 hours ago, madPete said:

Ok, made some progress on the watchman cloak...

Is it done yet? I want to see this finished!

Now are you making this from a pattern or are winging it?

I'm roughly basing it on a simplicity pattern. It's just big triangles, but needed the neck shape. The outer body and lining body are each sewn up, just need to tie them together with the cape and a collar.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

18 hours ago, madPete said:

The bedroll was something I had been thinking about for a while. When William said, lets show them our crew coming in with our kit on our backs, I had to make it. But this ole back needs some cush, thus the self inflating mattress. Its really just a cover for the mattress, but at least it hides the modern stuff. Either a wool blanket or the cloak on top and a linen bag stuffed with clothes for a pillow.

I puts the cover I have for my little inflatable mattress to shame! It's making me wonder if I need to put an upgrade to my bedroll on my to do list lol

• 3 weeks later...

OK back to where I left off on the breeches...

Completion of the legbands:

I finished one legband before I thought of taking pics. So, I pinned the other one up on the outside of the leg for this guide.

Basically, the legband is a bit longer than the circumference of the trouser leg. It's sewn on the outside of the leg 1/4 inch from the bottom (i do this step by machine because its covered up when complete). The extra length of the legband hangs off the front side and will overlap the leg slit to catch buttons on the other side of leg slit.

Or an alternate method is you could add twine / ribbon / cotton lace thru the inside of the band and stitch the ends of the band at the leg slit (without the overlap). This way the tie goes all the way around the leg, and ties on the outside.

Next, flip the legband over the raw edge of the leg. Then the other raw side of the legband is folded under 1/4 inch and attached on the inside of the leg, leaving an 1 inch band. This inside attachment is hand stitched.

Once I finish this leg, its on to the buttons and button holes.

I didnt plan pockets in these, but I'm still thinking about opening the outside seams and adding some. I almost prefer no pockets. Then there's no excuse to have hands in pockets. I much rather carrying stuff in the inside pocket of a coat or vest, or in my snapsack.

breeches1.jpg

legbands1.jpg

legbands2.jpg

legbands3.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 4 weeks later...

natural linen slops complete and actually fit!

Now finishing up another pair of breeches, made of black cotton to get filthy looking. just needs buttons and button holes now

You know this cook needs a bath something awful, so I needed some clothing to fit the part. These black breeches along with an indigo dyed/faded/dirtied shirt and apron should fill the bill

complete.jpg

blackbreeches_unfinished.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Now that I have all these cooking utensils, I need something to hold them and ship or pack in (There's waaay more than photo shows). #1

originally thought I would make a big tool roll to hold them all, but the size and shape of the forged spoons and spatula made me rethink.

So now I've decide to do a knife roll (being separate allows me to ship knive if necessary) kinda like #2 photo

a tall skinny utensil bag for the spoon/strainer/fork/spatula/masher (similar to a ditty bag but taller wiht round bottom) #3

a small portmanteau case to hold the wooden spoons, measures. serving items #4

hopefully I can get it all done before 1721. The ditty bag will be easy, as will the knife roll, the portmanteaus usually take some time.

utensil_start.jpg

leather_knife_roll1.JPG

leatherdittybag.jpg

smallportmanteau.jpg

plans.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

16 hours ago, Tudor MercWench Smith said:

*eyes up that potato masher with intent*

yeah, I know its not "kosher". but we needed one for a lot of potatoes.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Made some progress today...

I used distressed leather since it was less expensive and will likely get beat up in travel anyway.

Next to the partially stitched bag,  the utensils sandwiched together, to see how they will fit.

I may punt on the extra bag for the wood spoons, I think they will all fit in the top end of the bag. Originally, I was going to make the top half smaller around til I realized the spoons still have to go thru the opening🫣

IMG_0688.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!