Mercury Meals

madPete

1 hour ago, michaelsbagley said:

I also have a ton of experience with camp cooking

EXCELLENT, Michael is volunteering to do everything!

What a relief...😋

All kidding aside, thanks Michael, we'll need whatever help you can provide.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Iron Jon coming?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

19 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

I have a couple coolers that I plan to bring, not sure that I'll make covers in time.

1-LARGEish size
I figured we can use it for food and or drinks

1-MEDIUM
Holds a couple six packs

I'll see if I can borrow a largish cooler from my sister....

Whatever is decided, the food should probably be purchased on the way in. Unless things have changed dramatically since I was there, the closest big grocery store is back in Mobile.

BTW, I will only be on site on Saturday and was sort of planning to eat at a restaurant Saturday night, possibly off island. I mention this only because as the sole vegetarian, I would probably be a PITA diner for Saturday dinner. And my hotel comes with a "full Southern breakfast", so I will likely only be eating lunch with the crew. Just FYI.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The Ragoo French Green beans and potatoes turned out excellent.

The Beef Olives not so much, It's a too much work in camp for the result. so we're going with the Ragoo and sides of bacon for the Friday night dinner [along with greens and bread/butter]. [We'll call this Ragoo and Salt Pork😉]

Saturday dinner is looking like a vegetable stew plus a side from the grill , but there is talk of a potluck, either way that should work.

RagooFrenchBeans_potatoes.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 2 weeks later...

Friday, Saturday and Sunday the Mercury crew will be provided meals at minimal cost. Edit [Sorry - if this was not clear - This is Mercury crew participants - we have limited cooking resources as we are flying in...]

Breakfasts: Stynky and volunteers are cooking breakfast Sat, Sun. Sounds pretty deluxe with waffles, eggs, bacon, etc..

Lunch: there will be coldcuts, fruit, salad, bread, cheese, greens etc available for lunches

I'm told the fort provides lunch one day, but I have minimal information on that so we wil be prepared if it doesnt happen

Dinners: madPete and volunteers will be cooking Friday Dinner "Ragoo and Salt Pork" (i.e. mashed potatoes ,ragoo'd French green beans and a ham) along with bread and greens

Saturday Dinner is a potluck prior to the auction, bring something to pass - there is a separate thread on the potluck

Sunday no formal Dinner as it is teardown. We can provide what is leftover for cold cuts, bread, fruit  etc...

Please consider a $10 donation for each prepared meal for breakfast and dinner (i.e. $30 total). We're hoping this covers lunch costs as well without additional $. Please let madPete know which meals you are interested in so we can plan numbers. Payable at the fort only.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

7 hours ago, madPete said:

Breakfasts: Stynky and volunteers are cooking breakfast Fri, Sat, Sun. Sounds pretty deluxe with waffles, eggs, bacon, etc..

It might get whittled down to eggs, toast and a kick in the..., but I am bringing the waffle iron.

I'll likely join in for breakfast, specially if coffee is a part of the deal. Lunch[es] as well.... but suppers, there is where I might wander off to a restaurant etc.

I'm not firmly decided on anything yet (except that I am attending), but thought I would pipe up to give the planners an idea on where my mind is. I know planning can be more difficult with undecided folks, but I thought I would at least try and be undecided and moderately communicative.:D

Michael_banner.jpg

3 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

...don't know how I turned strike-through on my previous post...

I don't know what you did either. 🤷‍♂️ As solid as this message board software has become, odd things pop up now and then. And why it wouldn't undo with the strike-through icon selected/unselected is beyond me.

3 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

I'll likely join in for breakfast, specially if coffee is a part of the deal. Lunch[es] as well....

The plan is to have some sort of food prep happening and available through out the day - we'll make sure covfefe is a part of that!

Fort Taylor Pyrates will be bringing table snacks for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. These will include: Summer Sausage, Salami, various cheeses, Apples, Oranges, Bananas, various dried fruits- raisins, dates, cranberries, various nuts- pecans, walnuts, almonds, fresh baguette bread and various crackers. We are also making various "Queen's cakes" in individual sizes for display and for consumption by reenactors during the day, and Pralines- Pecan, Almond and Hazelnut for a quick sugar pickup. These snacks will be for any reenactor that wants them, but not for public consumption. We will also have a refreshing orange spice tea with lots of antioxidants to aid in preventing heat related illness. It will be available at DB Couper's fly. I am bringing the gallon coffee pot and coffee, so if Mercury needs to use it, they may.... For Michael Bagley and Stynky...I have LOTS of coffee...hehehehe....I may even share....maybe.... 🤭  If anyone wants something else, please chime in, the groceries aren't bought just yet, and we can make adjustments.

Another great thing to have on hand for replacing electrolytes fast is pickles..... might help with heat/sweating and is better for you then Gatorade type drinks...

Edited by Halfpint
Needed to explain Why pickles...

On 8/14/2023 at 2:52 PM, Stynky Tudor said:

Talking about how hot it's going be, I was thinking we could make some of this.

I have had some of this during a civil war event in AZ.... it wasn't bad at all!.... kind of a sipping drink 🙂