Mercury Meals

madPete

NOTE: I merged the "Meals In General" topic into this topic, since the meals are for Mercury Crew only

This is a bit of a brain dump of thoughts on meals.

Altho Iron Jon is coming to the event, he has had major surgery so I doubt he's up for cooking, and Mr Mallet isn't coming at all, the last I heard. So that leaves us needing new blood to plan and execute meals.

I'm open to helping plan and execute meals, but I'm flying in, so short of running for groceries and helping cook,  Im limited in what I can bring. We need some items for cooking implements. We do have some items being lent to us by Chris (who is local in Mississippi) but we may need a few additional items. see pic below for items already supplied. Not pictured is a large grill for the pots.

To that end I'd be very pleased if Mercury members would chime in on questions below:

1) Volunteers willing to help on the cooking end? [Stynky, HalfPint, Tudor Smith, madPete, micahelsbagley, Fayma]

2) Can anyone bring cooking tools like spatulas, spoons, sharp knife for vegatables, beef etc? [Stynky]

3) Anyone have a Dutch Oven they can bring? (Nevermind, working around this)

4) Ideas for simple, but period meals? (some ideas proposed)

5) Does anyone driving in have some large tubs for dishwashing and rinsing ? [WIlliam? or  Fayma)

6) There are a few tables in the barracks, but we are definitely needing tables [Chris, Fayma]

We may be able to purchase fresh bread and butter at the fort. There is a group there that demonstrates this. We might even be able to use the ovens when they are fired up. [After contact with the person that does the cooking demonstrations, its too warm to fire up the ovens that time of year]

KISS I'm hoping we can Keep It Simple Stupid for breakfast and lunch, but a bit more substantial on dinners. Also would like to keep costs as minimal as possible. Maybe something like $5 breakfast/lunches. i.e. bagels/oatmeal/fruit for breakfast, sandwiches or the like for lunches, and $10 for dinners (stews, period dishes, greens, etc) depending on numbers and final menu.

We also need to keep in mind the vegi-saurus' in the menus

cooking.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, madPete said:

1) Volunteers willing to help on the cooking end?

I volunteer to cook scramble eggs, bacon, rice, quesadillas...I'm kinda lazy on camp trips. Oh, an I will bring the waffle iron.

48 minutes ago, madPete said:

2) Can anyone bring cooking tools like spatulas, spoons, sharp knife for vegatables, beef etc?

Since I'll likely have my teardrop there, I should have a basic (modern) spatula, knife serving spoon - not period appropriate.

52 minutes ago, madPete said:

5) Does anyone driving in have some large tubs for dishwashing and rinsing ?

I can bring a couple plastic tubs for washing.

5 hours ago, madPete said:

1) Volunteers willing to help on the cooking end?

I can definitely volunteer for a few shifts. It's been quite a few years since I've cooked on a fire but I'm pretty decent at cooking otherwise 

3) Anyone have a Dutch Oven they can bring?

I do have one I'm willing to offer up for use but 2 caveats....one, it would require a volunteer to take it with them since I'm flying (along with the extra wood bowls etc that I found that I'm willing to share) and 2, it's enameled cast iron so about 100 year minimum out of period. So...not the best option maybe, but available if needed

We may be able to purchase fresh bread and butter at the fort. There is a group there that demonstrates this. We might even be able to use the ovens when they are fired up.

I also have some bread skills....never in wood fired ovens but I certainly wouldn't mind trying my hand at it if we do get access to them

Maybe something like $5 breakfast/lunches. i.e. bagels/oatmeal/fruit for breakfast, sandwiches or the like for lunches, and $10 for dinners (stews, period dishes, greens, etc) depending on numbers and final menu.

We also need to keep in mind the vegi-saurus' in the menus

Those breakfasts sound delicious and easy. And while I'm not a full time vegi-saurus, having some options would be great and I might have some good veg/vegan recipes floating around that would lens itself well to camp cooking 

Edited by TudorSmith

14 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

I can definitely volunteer for a few shifts. It's been quite a few years since I've cooked on a fire but I'm pretty decent at cooking otherwise 

I do have one I'm willing to offer up for use but 2 caveats....one, it would require a volunteer to take it with them since I'm flying (along with the extra wood bowls etc that I found that I'm willing to share) and 2, it's enameled cast iron so about 100 year minimum out of period. So...not the best option maybe, but available if needed

I also have some bread skills....never in wood fired ovens but I certainly wouldn't mind trying my hand at it if we do get access to them

Those breakfasts sound delicious and easy. And while I'm not a full time vegi-saurus, having some options would be great and I might have some good veg/vegan recipes floating around that would lens itself well to camp cooking 

Excellent, we can use the help! Trying to keep breakfast and lunch as simple as possible. Dinners will be the main effort.

Waiting to hear from William regarding the baking ovens, I'm told we can use them, but I know they do demonstrations too so we dont want to disrupt them

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

13 hours ago, William Brand said:

I'm chasing some large, period, copper tubs for the dishes and I have lots of period cooking utensils, so I'll go through stuff and make a comprehensive list.

Perfect!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

18 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

I volunteer to cook scramble eggs, bacon, rice, quesadillas...I'm kinda lazy on camp trips. Oh, an I will bring the waffle iron.

Since I'll likely have my teardrop there, I should have a basic (modern) spatula, knife serving spoon - not period appropriate.

I can bring a couple plastic tubs for washing.

Awesome Stynky!  LIke I said, trying to keep breakfast/lunch simple, but if you want to offer the deluxe breakfast, knock yourself out!

Stynky's Cafe - Open 24 hours

I'm not real concerned about completely period utensils... beggars can t be choosers. And since I cant bring the stuff on my flight I'm a total beggar LOL. Let's see if William comes up with the copper tubs, we may not need the plastic ones.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I'm building a spreadsheet to include:

1) Menus/schedule

Breakfast:  Fri/Sat/Sun

Lunch: Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun

Dinner: Thu/Fri/Sat

2) cooking tools and who is providing

Utensils: Stynky

Cooking pots/coffee pot: Chris

camp grill: Chris

Dutch Oven: ?

dishwashing basins:  William and/or Stynky

3) Volunteer list

Breakfast:    Stynky

Lunch:

Dinner:    Pete,   Tudor Smith

4) Shopping List

TBD

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

1 hour ago, madPete said:

I'm building a spreadsheet to include:

1) Menus/schedule

Breakfast:  Fri/Sat/Sun

Lunch: Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun

Dinner: Thu/Fri/Sat

2) cooking tools and who is providing

Utensils: Stynky

Cooking pots/coffee pot: Chris

camp grill: Chris

Dutch Oven: ?

dishwashing basins:  William and/or Stynky

3) Volunteer list

Breakfast:    Stynky

Lunch:

Dinner:    Pete,   Tudor Smith

4) Shopping List

TBD

If I may suggest that we add a category on the sheet (or at least a running list somewhere) of any food allergies/dietary requirements other then veg types... easier to plan any accommodations if we know ahead of time.

Otherwise, trawling through recipie collections for the unicorns - easy, scalable for a crowd, wide appeal, fairly stable ingredients and able to be done on a fire lol

31 minutes ago, Stynky Tudor said:

So how many folks are we/me cooking breakfast for?

William says there are 17 Mercury members signed up for the event. It's not likely that they will all buy in for every meal, or even buy-in at all, and we haven't asked for a count yet. Probably cant get a confirmed count until we get the menu a bit more nailed down.

Having said that, if you know you want to participate in at least one meal, let me know and I'll add you to the list so we can get a rough head count. For now I think we limit this to Mercury members so it doesnt get out of hand.

We're looking for at least two cooks/helpers at each meal so you wont be alone at breakfast, and not likely you will have to cook for all 17.

I think we will set out the dishwashing tubs and pyrates can clean their own dishes.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

1 hour ago, TudorSmith said:

If I may suggest that we add a category on the sheet (or at least a running list somewhere) of any food allergies/dietary requirements other then veg types... easier to plan any accommodations if we know ahead of time.

Otherwise, trawling through recipie collections for the unicorns - easy, scalable for a crowd, wide appeal, fairly stable ingredients and able to be done on a fire lol

First, this is an optional buy-in. You dont have to buy in to any specific meal or any meals at all. Every single Mercury member will be from out of town and we dont have the luxury of our own kitchen or knowing what grocery has gluten-free/peanut free whatever to meet specific allergy requirements.  If this is a concern, I recommend individuals make their own plans or review closely what we propose as a menu and ask questions at the event. We'll do our best when we get there to choose ingredients wisely, but the likelihood is we wont know specific brand ingredients until we get to the local grocery and see what is available.

I'm not indifferent to the issue, my GF has very specific requirements which she will need to deal with separately. But we dont pretend to be a restaurant, cooking meals is an auxiliary thing and thats asking a lot for ad-hoc cooking volunteers who also want to participate in the event.

We need a basic menu first, for people to decide if they will participate. Balancing a meal with sides like greens, veggies, bread etc is the magical part that helps accomodate, but needs planning. i.e. Greens/bread with every meal, possibly a meat free stew, with optional chicken or beef on the side that can be added to portions.

We do welcome suggestions, If there is something we can cook that satisfies the majority of the crew, we'll do that. I have some period ideas like the above stew, as well as possibly a macaroni and cheese pie in a crust  (not dessert)  and possibly onion pie (potatoes, eggs, onions, apples, cheese) along with some sides including a meat dish. Iron Jon made a braised cabbage dish one year that was excellent.

So please make suggestions that can accommodate most or all of the group.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

1 hour ago, madPete said:

First, this is an optional buy-in. You dont have to buy in to any specific meal or any meals at all. Every single Mercury member will be from out of town and we dont have the luxury of our own kitchen or knowing what grocery has gluten-free/peanut free whatever to meet specific allergy requirements.  If this is a concern, I recommend individuals make their own plans or review closely what we propose as a menu and ask questions at the event. We'll do our best when we get there to choose ingredients wisely, but the likelihood is we wont know specific brand ingredients until we get to the local grocery and see what is available.

This makes sense and honestly kind of relieves me. My logic in asking was that if accomodations were to be made best to know about them as far in advance as possible, but I agree with with the sentiment that this is an optional buy in, with limited resources.

2 hours ago, TudorSmith said:

This makes sense and honestly kind of relieves me. My logic in asking was that if accomodations were to be made best to know about them as far in advance as possible, but I agree with with the sentiment that this is an optional buy in, with limited resources.

It was a good question which allowed me to set the expectations. We'll try but no promises.

I ran into something similar at a Rev war event and someone was put out because there was no kosher food at a potluck. Better to set the expectations on the front end. We do have limited resources but we'll do the best we can to feed our group.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

21 hours ago, madPete said:

William says there are 17 Mercury members signed up for the event

OMG, for some raisin I was thinking 5 or 6 people at most - clearly I didn't think this through before volunteering.

20 hours ago, madPete said:

You dont have to buy in to any specific meal or any meals at all. Every single Mercury member will be from out of town and we dont have the luxury of our own kitchen or knowing what grocery has gluten-free/peanut free whatever to meet specific allergy requirements.  If this is a concern, I recommend individuals make their own plans...

Agreed! I think this is reasonable.

15 hours ago, Halfpint said:

I can help out wherever, and whenever,  as long as I get to burn some powder 😁

Excellent! We can burn food first thing in the morning (so no one will ever ask us to help cook ever again) - then we can burn powder for the rest of the day!

BREAKFAST MENU IDEAS

2 eggs scrambled - fried in butter

2 pieces of bacon

potatoes or rice fried with onions in butter & bacon grease

fresh bread or store bought tortillas

mild cheese blend

waffles butter and maple syrup or honey

seasonal fresh fruit salad, apples, oranges, grapes, berries

yogurt

salsa

butter

So we have two big dinner nights Friday and Saturday, and a smaller group Thursday. Sunday will be teardown so no production dinner. Those staying on til Monday morning will need to forage or ad-hoc something. (Thinking we need to get cooking gear back to Chris on Sunday, and someone deliver women's tent to Chris on Monday)

Here's another Williamsburg recipe, basically thin beef wrapped around a stuffing and kebob on the fire. (no olives LOL). might be a good side to the above Ragoo French beans

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/learn/recipes/beef-olives/

Proposed dinners...

Thursday Dinner: Pasta and white sauce, greens, bread, vegetable dish

Friday Dinner: Ragoo-french-beans and Beef olives (see recipes), greens, bread

Saturday Dinner: Vegetable stew with BBQ'd Beef or BBQ'd chicken  on the side that can be added to stew (or not), greens, bread

maybe need some sort of dessert dish as well like sweet potato pie?

other ideas, comments?

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Anyone have a decent soft side cooler?  I was looking online and surprised how expensive they are. We can buy cheap ones there at walmart and just keep them full of ice, but a quality one would be very useful as it holds the ice longer.

recommendations?

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I have a couple coolers that I plan to bring, not sure that I'll make covers in time.

1-LARGEish size
I figured we can use it for food and or drinks

1-MEDIUM
Holds a couple six packs

6 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

I have a couple coolers that I plan to bring, not sure that I'll make covers in time.

1-LARGEish size
I figured we can use it for food and or drinks

1-MEDIUM
Holds a couple six packs

Canvas, Canvas, canvas...

We'll have to do Ice runs periodically. There's a bulk ice machine across form Circle K as you enter the island. its 1-1/2 ish [miles] from there to the fort.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I hate to be lazy, but being on a road trip for the last 5 days I missed this thread... and there has already been a TON stated.

But all the above aside.
Let me remind everyone that I am driving down.

I have a big tavern setup I have been using since 2016, which includes period cookware (brass/copper kettles of various sizes, dutch ovens, fire irons, knives, ladles etc). While I can not bring my pavillion (I am hoping to drive my car down, not the SUV), cookware and accessories is something I can make room for if you let me know what you need.

I also have a ton of experience with camp cooking, both period recipes, or period-ish recipes to balance ambience and to help meet dietary constraints of a diverse collection of people.

Michael_banner.jpg