Thrift Shop Finds

Stynky Tudor

Pewter tankards use to be a dime a dozen (exaggeration), you could pick a few up for $5., not so much anymore. Even the ones with the engraved inscriptions that no one wants are for sale for too much online on eBay.

Hey Stynky - The whole thing about checked shirt patterns comes from a quote inย  the slops contracts "blu checked". I think the only historical references that were found were, blue, white or blu checked. In that age, blue checked was closer to this image... I did find a sample page from a tailor from about 1760ish, that had the above pattern. I was able to find the small check recently, but its not cheap. upwards of $20 a yard. I bought the large windowpane cloth probably 4-5 years ago. on ebay. But I havent seen it since.

blu_checked.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

On 2/19/2023 at 4:01 PM, Stynky Tudor said:

I also found some linen table cloth panels - we'll see if I can make anything out of them.ย 

large.PXL_20230213_220206593.jpg.a2d932c7363385f7e51dda9a3f4fdb5b.jpglarge.PXL_20230213_220049113.jpg.604f6bc220e8b3e993df44eb87027002.jpglarge.PXL_20230213_220347303.jpg.b7b23ed806c773e2560afaa46f8bf612.jpg

Ohh these are pretty!ย ย 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

ย 

ย 

Black Syren Logo small.png

33 minutes ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Oh I love this idea, we'll have to make it happen at one of our next events!

๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿ˜ย Go for it!ย 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I guess a little research is needed to identify how large quantities of fabric were delivered in 1715, on a roll, a bolt or ? Then we could include some in/on our bales. Would only need enough fabric on the outside to make it look like stolen goods.

ย 

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I found these last week at the local Goodwill. Turkish towels! 2 are pictured, but I actual got 3. the third was a much paler light blue with the same stripes at each end. The colors are more subdued than the images show. And I'm sure the girlfriend will snag one!

These are approximately 36 by 76 inches. I suppose they could double for a swimsuit wrap. All 3 were less than $10.

Its one of those things you just happen across. You never find something when you are looking for it, but it pays to go often and browse because things pop up that werent on your radar. I went actually looking for an ice cream bucket that could be repurposed for a wooden bucket like one I found before.

Turkish towels are historically accurate. This complements the one William sent me. That one is easier to travel with due to its smaller size 13 x 36 inches and basic off-white.

Maybe I will trade the extras...

ย 

Turkish02.jpg

Turkish01.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Very cool, what a great find!

I recently found a couple yards of linen, another couple yards of heavy cotton canvas and several Queen size heavy cotton (hospital?) bed sheet/blankets. Spent about $20.00.

Now I've got to make stuff.

4 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Very cool, what a great find!

I recently found a couple yards of linen, another couple yards of heavy cotton canvas and several Queen size heavy cotton (hospital?) bed sheet/blankets. Spent about $20.00.

No I've got to make stuff.

linen is expensive. makes the finds at goodwill that much more attractive and the clothing cheaper!

ย 

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

2 hours ago, madPete said:

...makes the finds at goodwill that much more attractive and the clothing cheaper!

Exactly! Plus it feeds the usable cloth collection addiction without breaking the bank.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:55 AM, madPete said:

I guess a little research is needed to identify how large quantities of fabric were delivered in 1715, on a roll, a bolt or ? Then we could include some in/on our bales. Would only need enough fabric on the outside to make it look like stolen goods.

ย 

I shall have to ask a couple people who do fabric research.ย 

ย 

And those are amazing finds! It really is crazy amazing the stuff someone can find at Goodwill or some other second hand store.ย 

• 3 months later...

You've probably got $500 worth of wool there.

at $40yd, thats why i didnt offer wool in the shop, very few wanted to pay those prices. the few that did, I just had them send me the wool they wanted the coat made from. I found a few deals years ago on ebay, but you just dont see them anymore.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 1 month later...

Stynky gets they Pirate Plunder Award of the Year for the big score of wool fabric!ย ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿดโ€โ˜ ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘ย 
Seriously though, that screams major awesome project!ย