The war of 1812

Does anyone here have any interest in the war of 1812. If so, then speak up and lets get a discussion about it going. For all the pirates only diehards, don't forget about Lafitte at the battle of New Orleans. It was this pirate and a great many of his sailors that helped in the battle and were very effective in bringing about its victory for the states. Let me know what you think...... The Capt.

Guest Angus MacVox

I did manage to make it out to the battlefield on my trip to new orleans this week. not to much to see, although I think it did look similar to the movie, which is weird. got some u.s. gov'ment issue brochures on the place, one of which is entitled "Jean Lafitte - Pirate or Patriot?" ... haven't read it yet, will put a summary of Uncle Sam's views on the man here if it's anything of note... once i find it...

;) Actually I believe there's some new evidence that's come to light lately

suggesting that Lafitte was never AT the battle, other than supplying munitions to the American's in order that he and his compatriots

could get amnesty from the American government for their

past piratical acts. Interesting stuff, kinda dispells those old

myths of the "patriotic pirate"

Redhand

:ph34r:

In the footsteps of Jean Lafitte-Published: Mar/Apr 2002-

by Carolyn Thornton-AAA Traveler Magazines.

http://www.aaamissouri.com/traveler/0203/l.../lafitte_s.html

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Flint-

They made a big deal about it on the History Channel's

Battle of New Orleans episode of one of the Gary Foreman

produced shows, but I also read it it somewhere not to

long ago, mmmmm (thinking hard-and it hurts ;) )

I'll have to think on that for a bit....

I haven't even had any coffee yet....uuuuurg

Redhand

:ph34r:

Angus, you went to the Chalmette Battle site at the wrong time; hey, just about any time is the wrong time, EXCEPT for the weekend closest to January 8, which is when they re-enact the battle, and yes, there is a pirate group involved! One of them is on this list (Renato Beluche is his Baratarian persona).

Renato can be reached at

captain_cobbs@hotmail.com

As to Jean Lafitte not being there in person...yes, I heard that before. The story is that he was heading another contingent of defenders stationed deeper down in bayou country, to guard against a British attack from that direction. It never materialized, but that's not a reason to slight Frere Lafitte.

Now, whether Lafitte was actually a pirate or not depends largely on how you define the term. He was a self-admitted big-time smuggler, and he was a privateer, holding latters of marque from Cartagena to attack Spanish vessels, which he did. He always vehemently denied ever attacking any American vessels.

In any case, he qualifies as a hero, in my book. Without the support of his cannoneers and, more importantly, the flints and gunpowder he provided, the battle would have been a British victory.

Capt. William

:huh:

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

And while we're on a War of 1812 note...does anyone on our list do an 1815-era impression? I'm trying to start one for a Baratarian and would appreciate any tips on garb, weapons, or personal equipment, or any recommended reading.

Capt. William

:)

Yeah, I do a war of 1812 Shawnee impression,

but i don't think that'll help you any! :huh:

Try the Pirates & Privateers book by Osprey,

Angus McBride illustrated them (along with the entire

pirate book line) and his plates are usually pretty acurate,

as well as just nicley done art pieces! Also try getting your hands

on some back issues of the Company of Military Historian journals,

they also have a series of books out (no longer in print), but

you should be able to locate or have them keep an eye out

for one at your local used book store.

-Redhand

Hey Capt. weaver-

That was a cool article!

Thanks

Redhand

you are very welcome

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am brand new to this forum. Just registered a few minutes ago. I'm a writer of fan fiction and I have been looking for info on Stephen Decatur, who as you might know, successfully fought Algerian pirates and was highly decorated during the War of 1812. I find this period of American history fascinating and have been banging my head against a brick wall looking for good resources. I understand there are personal letters of Decatur's in the Lib. of Congress but I don't have the means to get there. Other than that, I have run across only a few books and mostly out of print. Can anybody pinpoint some good sources? Thanks.

Barnegat-

Try the US Marine museum, or typing in Colonel Charles Waterhouse,

he's the official US MArine artist. I believe he did a couple paintings

featuring Decauter. He (Waterhouse) probably can tell you

something about Decauter, or point you in the right direction

of some info you could access on the internet, or inter-library loan.

Redhand

barn e gat.... is it just about Decauter you wish to know about? If you want more, let me know. I have a lot of books on the war of 1812 as well as the revolution. I just cannot get enough to read about these subjects. Plus there is a fair amount of info I can pass on about Fort McHenry due to it's location near me. Anyhow, just let me know........ The Capt.

Am reading a great book: just ignore the silly title: "Jean Laffite, Prince of Pirates". Chock full of great info; even has a listing of the Baratarians who served on Dominique You's Battery No. 3 cannon crew!

Capt. William

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone interested in the war of 1812 should read "Life In Nelson's Navy." Fer some reason the author's name 'as slipped it's cable from me mind, but no matter. Tis a good, if sometimes ponderous book, an' it's from the british perspective. It does how ever give loads of information on the period. I read it on the Lynx, a schooner based loosely on the original 1812 Yankee privateer of the same name.

• 2 weeks later...

Capt Flint,

Sorry but I have been remiss in responding. Anyway, with regards to Decatur. I am about to bear my soul - so don't laugh. Ok, I am primarily looking for info on Decatur. I write fanfiction and I've got Decatur as major character in a sequel. I've got the basics on him but I was sort of hoping to find some little nugget that would inspire something interesting that would move the plot along. Just a thought. I have been stuck for a while and the story has been sitting in limbo and I'm getting hassled from a few people who want to see the story completed.

Anything on the War of 1812 would be good too. The little bit of research that I have done is fascinating.

Barnegat

:huh: His ship the first time in Tripoli was a local prize, a tops'l ketch similar to mine in rig style. The Intrepid. A foundation back east is considering building a replica :ph34r: Click on the active links in my website, in the text, they'll take you to much colonial war history, including 1812

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here and I've been told you guys are a great bunch of people.

I'm interested in the War of 1812, Jean Lafitte and fellow Baratarians. I'm writing a historical novel which incorporates all of the above. Unlike some, I'm researching till my eyes fall out to make sure my novel is as historically accurate as possible.

I was told by Wayne Edwards of the New Orleans Historical Society that the most accurate historical works on the Lafittes and the other privateers who operated with them are:

The Baratarians and the Battle of New Orleans / by Jane Lucas de Grummond, with Biographical sketches of the veterans of the Battalion of Orleans, 1814-1815 / by Ronald R. Morazan. Baton, Rouge, La. : Legacy Pub. Co., [1979]

Renato Beluche, smuggler, privateer, and patriot, 1780-1860 / Jane Lucas De Grummond. Baton Rouge, La. : Louisiana State University Press, c1983

I haven't had a chance to check them out yet because they seem impossible to find up here in Canada. Anyway, possibly this information will be of use to some of you.

Robin