Middle Eastern weapons used by Europeans?

Tricky. It's quite possible I suppose, but I've never run across an example of such.

And any example is made trickier by the lack of specific names or terminology. Anyone keeping records at the time is just as likely to use European terms to describe Middle Eastern weapons, so an Englishman is might write 'knife' or 'sword' without ever being more specific.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

every one seems to think that a (common) pirate would not get his hands on some expensive or exotic weapon but what about the articles that state that thefirst man aboard a prize could get his choice of small arms from said prize. The pirate may or may not sell it but he could come into possesion of a jewel encrusted sword or gun

every one seems to think that a (common) pirate would not get his hands on some expensive or exotic weapon but what about the articles that state that thefirst man aboard a prize could get his choice of small arms from said prize. The pirate may or may not sell it but he could come into possesion of a jewel encrusted sword or gun

I have never think that they would not get their hands on some expensive or exotic weapon... So I don't thinkl so....That is well possible I dare to say.... There is found some nice western small swords found from whydah (note that in that age even many naval officers preferred cutlasses so small swords were not too easy to find) why not pirates in the Indian Ocean etc. could get their hads on some weapons too....

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

William Red Wake -

Anything forthcoming from Big Mike???

That upswept Kard design is still mighty appealing.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

The question was not if a man would come into possession of an expensive or exotic weapon. This was the question...

...do you suppose European pyrates might have come across and used middle eastern weapons such as the scimitar or some kind of short sword?

None of us said that a sailor would not get his hands on such a weapon. Rather we said that it's likely he'd sell something of pronounced value and not keep it for reasons both economical and practical. We also stated that if he did keep it, we've seen no direct documentation about it. In short, we're left to considerable speculation in the absence of information.

William Red Wake -

Anything forthcoming from Big Mike??? That upswept Kard design is still mighty appealing.

Jas. Hook ;)

Well, speaking of Middle Eastern knives, Big Mike is currently working on one jambiya and I've discussed another with him. He's always willing to take on a commission. Even more so now that he's moved into the shop.

Along these knife lines...would the knife be more functional for shipboard use, like a blunt tip utility knife, or would it have a sharp pointed tip, reserved for eating or stabbing someone?

I'm no detective or professional historian, but I would assume both kinds would be used....however I don't think I've ever heard of a blunt-tipped utility knife....

Since this thread was started, i've looked into knives, and one i saw for sale had a blunted tip, ' in case it was dropped from high in the rigging it would lessen the potential for injuries below'. i took the liberty of adding "blunt tipped utility" so you could get a visual as to what i meant. i CERTAINLY make no claim to being an historical expert.

Sailors knives come in many varieties. You'll often see rigging knives with blunted tips, but you'll see every kind of sailor's knife imaginable elsewhere on a ship. Sharp points, blunt points and folding knives are all common enough. A ship might appoint a regulation about what goes aloft, but there's no reason that you can't have a certain knife as a pirate re-enactor. Some sailors like a sheep's foot. Some like a folder.

I have several. One of them is an all purpose utility knife for all my day to day work. It's a shorter, fixed blade. It has file work on it, but nothing that could get hung up in use. I've cut paper, cloth, line, twine, and not a little food with it. I've also used it extensively for working the bark and knobs off a good walking stick at many events.

My kard is a back up knife for fighting, so I don't carry it about much.

Sailors knives come in many varieties. You'll often see rigging knives with blunted tips, but you'll see every kind of sailor's knife imaginable elsewhere on a ship. Sharp points, blunt points and folding knives are all common enough. A ship might appoint a regulation about what goes aloft, but there's no reason that you can't have a certain knife as a pirate re-enactor. Some sailors like a sheep's foot. Some like a folder.

I have several. One of them is an all purpose utility knife for all my day to day work. It's a shorter, fixed blade. It has file work on it, but nothing that could get hung up in use. I've cut paper, cloth, line, twine, and not a little food with it. I've also used it extensively for working the bark and knobs off a good walking stick at many events.

My kard is a back up knife for fighting, so I don't carry it about much.

Thank you for the clarity William Red Wake. Cheers mate.

shameless marketing plug- if anyone has a desire for ottoman weapons, please PM me. one of our members is an oriental and ottoman antiques horsetrader dealer. he travels to turkey a couple times a year and is always bringing back things for people. If there is interest, i can see if he has any on hand he would be willing to sell now and post pics in the market thread.