Spanish Captain drawing

Korisios

collage_lb_image_page27_116_1.png

This drawing bothers me for a long time now. "it" (the caption) says 1700 Spanish Captain. To me it looks more something like 1650 ish...

Could it be that someone put a wrong date on this picture somewhere? Or where Spaniard really so old fasioned back then???

I mean all other drawings and paintings of Spanish soldiers from 1700/1720 I have seen do show more modern clothing...

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

Korisios -

Just speculation but could it be depiction of court or formal atire?

U.S. Army dress blues has elements of 1860's look.

Vatican's Swiss Guard is another example of a timeless ceremonial dress.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Do we know where this drawing came from? If it is attached to a particular book or story, maybe the artist drew this in 1700 but was trying to portray someone from a earlier time period. I've found that situation in several books from the early eighteenth century - the illustration may be from the period I was looking at, but it's not portraying people of the period I want. One very common one I've seen are books depicted the first encounters and conquests of the New World, they seemed to be pretty popular around the GAOP era for some reason. Unfortunately, when you are trying to do sailor clothing research for the GAOP era, that doesn't help you really.

The illustration of "Ein Spanischer Officier" by Dutch artist Caspar Luyken is from a German book published in 1703 entitled Neu-eröffnete Welt-Galleria.

This link provides some pretty good scans... http://diglib.hab.de...drucke/wt-4f-93

A Dover reproduction got a mention on the Forum here courtesy of Capt. Sterling ...

https://pyracy.com/in...?showtopic=9515

Edited by landlubbersanonymous

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guy's for the input.

I also think that it would be possible that the illustrator rather wanted to make a nice drawing of an typical Spanjard, then to be a 100 % accurate, after al he is an artist and wanted to make a book that sels I quess. Just drawing a nother men in the real fashion of the time would make the men repeting himself.

And like people stated in the other thread posted here, he might also not be in favour of the Spanish at that time and therefore not being to willing to draw them as highly fassionable people.

Also could he have taken inspiration of the more folk clothing of surten Spanish regions, that indeed appear to be more conservative and drew heavily from older fashions...

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

Supposedly Luyken was trying to show what was currently being worn around other parts of the world. (BTW landlubbersanonymous, thank ye for sharing that link, I only have the reprint...nice to see an earlier edition. ) Haven't read it in years, but I think the Sea Rover's Practice makes mention that the Spanish were slower to change and retained a mixture of old and new styles in weapons, perhaps that flowed over to fashion as well... although Mister Hook, does have a point, there is a lot of formal attire shown in Luyken's plates...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 4 months later...

The captain seems to be old rather than young. In nowdays old people use sometimes old clothing styles that there were then were they were younger.Perhaps there was similar case in Gaop. I have seen that kind of clothing in common place in 1680s so in 1703 captain could be in his forties and use earlier style clothing.

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif