Dutch Mariner & Boathand circa 1699-1703

Capt. Sterling

DutchMariner1699-1703.jpg

Dutchboathand1699-1703.jpg

by Dutch artist Caspar Luyken

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Do we know what the source for these is Hector?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

"In 1703, Christoph Weigle of Nuremberg published the Neu-eroffnete Welt-Galleria, a collection of 100 custome plates etched by the Dutch artist Caspar Luyken (1672-1708). Luyken, the son of noted engraver and poet Jan Luyken, had arrived in Germany in 1699 to work with Weigle on a number of illustrated books....."

"The present volume, Gallery of Late-Seventeenth-Century Costume, is a republication of the 100 costume plates from the Neu-eroffnete Welt-Galleria."

From Dover books...

There is an English Admiral as well, might you be interested in Luyken's version?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

If you'd be so kind...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

EnglishAdmiral.jpg

Crewe of the Archangel

Amazing pics! That English Admiral at Sea looks every bit the classic pirate! He's got the sash, the wicked hanger, even the scruffy five o'clock shadow! And I could be mistaken, but is that the glint of an earring under the wig on his right ear? He's even got his sleeve rolled up for action. So friggin' cool.....

*Note* - I just snagged my 4 year old son as he raced by and asked him who this looked like. Without hesitation he said "Captain Hook, only with a sword". :rolleyes:

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I love the rolled up sleeve as well, talk about meaning business... The Dutch boathand has a sash about his waist as well... easier to make out in the large print I have at hand... would love to know what he has tucked in it... his pipe is tucked in his hat... I found the placement of the pockets in the breeches rather interesting...

Crewe of the Archangel

*Note* - I just snagged my 4 year old son as he raced by and asked him who this looked like. Without hesitation he said "Captain Hook, only with a sword". :rolleyes:

Sounds like the lad is turning out just fine...keep up the good work!! B)B)

Crewe of the Archangel

OK.. maybe tomarow.... I'll type something about the cool pictures.... But I have to ask about this....

I just snagged my 4 year old son as he raced by and

Dang... does he know alla the good stuff bout Pyrates.... ? (I think so...)

Sound like a 4 year old....

COOOOOOOOL.... :rolleyes:

(hey... tomarrow I'll get back on topic.... but the part bout th' 4 year old cought me attention first....)

I can't help wondering if the Dutch artist had Sir Robert Holmes in mind when he drew the "English" admiral. During the second Dutch War Holmes led an attack on the harbours of Vlie and Schelling and burned hundreds of Dutch ships. The incident secured him fame in England and infamy in the Netherlands. The mass of burning ships behind the English admiral is perhaps reminiscent of Holmes' "Bonfire".

Earlier in his career Holmes had been a pirate/privateer with Prince Rupert.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

I think that if I were a female pirate/privateer, I would dress like all the rest of the male pirates/privateers. If I wore a combination of garments, all period for the times, with proper accessories, and not something that shouted, "I stole this!", causing me to be arrested, then I would assume (!) that this would be correct and in period. I do think that it's a little stifling to limit all female sailing garb to just two examples. In theory, if women copied men's dress, then any picture/painting of men sailors of the proper time frame could be used as an example of proper sailing attire.

My first post was just a reaction to the pictures, which I thought were very nice, and gave me lots of ideas. :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Great pics - how reliable is the English Admiral picture? The reason I ask is because it specifies an English Admiral at sea, and as an example of actual sea-going ware, could be construed as a justification for any number of pirate cliches.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Great pics - how reliable is the English Admiral picture? The reason I ask is because it specifies an English Admiral at sea, and as an example of actual sea-going ware, could be construed as a justification for any number of pirate cliches.

Ah now that is a good question...from reading and looking at the rest of the text where these plates are from, it seems that the artist was attempting to show the different types of people as best as he could... but if the English were busy burning Dutch ships, one wonders if there could not be some kind of bias involved... :lol:

Crewe of the Archangel

The other thing to remember is that there's a big difference between an admiral and a pirate. Other than the sash (which you'll not is markedly different from, say, Jack Sparrow's) and the long coat - neither of which are in any way surprising on an admiral - what other cliches does it support? (At the risk of sounding dogmatic, I'm far from convinced that's an earring!)

What does interest me in the picture is the length of the cutlass. :)

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Oh, I would say the general finery of the clothing depicted - beyond the coat and the sash - seems to fit in with the more elaborate pirate interpretations one sees at pirate events. I have seen more pirates apparently (dressed for dinner - including myself) that resemble this picture than resemble the other source pics posted on this forum. Since I'm already on the reply page I don't want to search around quoting them, and since you have posted many of them yourself, Mr. Foxe, it would not doubt be taking coals to Newcastle.

But just from memory, I seem to recall mariners sporting a shorter, sleeved waistcoat and less elaborate hats, sleeves, and neckwear, rather like the outfits depicted in the other two prints on this thread.

When I say cliche I mean not that such outfits are out of period, but that the commonly perceived image of a pirate does not match the dress of working mariners.

Again, it comes down to basically every debate about pirate wear - just because there is 1 recorded instance of a sea-faring man dressed like a debauched courtier does not mean every, most, or even many sea faring man did.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Although the patterns of the boathand's clothing intrigues me. Not having the benefit of color, the patterns suggest color, the patterns themselves certainly clash, and his sash does look interesting. Perhaps this is a good example of how accurate, practical dress does not immediately mean common or dull.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum