Leather scabbard

captscurvy_nc

and if you take out a little more wood you can glue felt to the inside to give it a tighter secure fit so the blade doesn't fall out

I have heard adding a small bit of leather to the inside but felt would be cheaper. Ive also heard that sanding the inside is not a good idea cause the sand particles can damage the blade. I would think the uneven wood splinters would hurt it more. I may line it with felt just to make this a non issue

I have heard adding a small bit of leather to the inside but felt would be cheaper. Ive also heard that sanding the inside is not a good idea cause the sand particles can damage the blade. I would think the uneven wood splinters would hurt it more. I may line it with felt just to make this a non issue

I can tell you from experience that wood can scratch the blade if the scabbard's too tight..

As to sanding, a stiff brush and a tack cloth should get rid of any particulate residue.

I'm suspecting this bit about not sanding may be a bit of a red herring, or a story born from sloppy craftsmanship.

Unless you somehow protect the throat and wipe your blade every time you sheath it, some grit and grime is bound to end up in the scabbard over the course of time.

Cool! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 2 weeks later...

I once made a leather scabbard by taking some suede, folding over the top opening and stiffening it with more leather. Then folding the suede in half, putting with grommets on the edges, then I laced the grommets together with leather strips and I had a tube, then I curved the l;ine of grommets near the bottom and trimmed it so it was straight, with a curve that closed, It worked pretty well.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

I use saddle skirt weight leather and no wood for mine. Cascabel did a tutorial on this some time back. It is stiff enough to hold straight and flexible enough not to break or crack under stress. That's the worry I'd have with the wooden core scabbards. Once they break, you have a permannent problem. With the all leather ones, you just wet them down and let them set and dry straight again if they get bent.

Bo