Leather scabbard

captscurvy_nc

The tutorials all deal with straight blades. Is it the same principal for building a wood core for a cutlass with a curved blade?

More or less.... The thing one needs to be careful with regarding curved blades, are blades that are wider towards the tip than at the hilt. I will be making a scabbard for such a blade in the not too distant future (likely the end of January). I will also likely blog the experience with lots of photos. If you are able and willing to wait that long, it might help you.

Michael_banner.jpg

mine was a straight blade,you may have to make it wider to allow for the curve,I didn't take any pictures as i was in a hurry to get it done for PIP .a bonus while i was working the scabord i just happened to find a pair of ladys black leather pants at 5he flea mkt that i was able to take apart and cover the scabord with.

the big orange store had the popular wood the right size for me blade

The Dremel tool or a drill with a coarse grinding wheel will be helpful, not P.C. but hey, if they see the inside of your scabbard somthing has already gone terribly wrong. snicker

Edited by Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

The Dremel tool or a drill with a coarse grinding wheel will be helpful, not P.C. but hey, if they see the inside of your scabbard somthing has already gone terribly wrong. snicker

I've done this with thin plywood - about the same thickness as the sword. I sandwich three pieces and cut a band saw or jigsaw to cut away where the sword will be from the middle piece. Then I glue the pieces together, shape it., and cover it with leather.

Mark

try the green gold from south america (mahogany) not only is it period correct but also does great in the humidity and has a nice grain pattern when polished, why even use laether, just use this wood, it is all over roatan and belize areas in the caribbean, plus pirates traded and raided ships for the green gold. alot of pirates turned to log cutting in south america (belize) when pirating dried up. england paid big bucks for this wood including the colonies.

Covering a curved wooden scabbard with leather is really not as daunting a project as people imagine it to be. Just be sure to use lots of patience. What I do with mine is basically this: after the wooden core is finished, I glue the leather to the front of it with plenty left over to wrap around both sides and overlap each other at the back. Then, using a sharp razor knife, I simply cut through both layers down the center of the scabbard back from the chape to the tip, following the curve of the scabbard. After the excess is cut away, this leaves an open seam down the center. Simply stitch the two sides together, similar to lacing a shoe up, making sure to draw the two sides up tight with each other. Moistening the leather before stitching will help it stretch and draw up to a nice, tight seam after stitching. :rolleyes:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)