Embroidery

Korisios

I would like to have some one do some (a lot) 1700 emboidery in the future.

She now a day's does verry good and fine traditional Roemeniën things, so i asked here if se could also do something like this:

med_gallery_11212_389_108140.jpg

to be honest it scared here of a bit, and she wanted to know more about the techique.

So I wondered what more is there to say and know about this style of embroidery..?

So are there (online) explinations about how to approache this kind of work and what technigues to use??

Thanks!

Edited by Korisios
gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

I have forwarded the picture and asked a friend who knows a _lot_ about various embroidery types if she can help. If she doesn't know, I'd say it's likely she knows someone who does. The style looks familiar, when I locate my sampler I might be able to tell you (but my friend is a better bet than my finding things right now). Meanwhile, if you can get your hands on this book: http://www.burnleyandtrowbridge.com/18thcenturyembroiderytechniques.aspx it might help.

I would like to have some one do some (a lot) 1700 emboidery in the future.

She now a day's does verry good and fine traditional Roemeniën things, so i asked here if se could also do something like this:

med_gallery_11212_389_108140.jpg

to be honest it scared here of a bit, and she wanted to know more about the techique.

So I wondered what more is there to say and know about this style of embroidery..?

So are there (online) explinations about how to approache this kind of work and what technigues to use??

Thanks!

the other day at jo anne, i saw a book called the embroidery stitch bible of stitches.... there were amazing forgotten stitches contained within....

also--- at your local library there are books on tapestries and in particular japanese stitching ...

OHHH WHOOAAA...and instructions....

i DO KNOW that you want SILK THREAD FOR THE AWESOME qualities of shine and brilliance...

• 2 weeks later...

Most needlework hasn't changed over the years. What most do by hand was pretty much the same way 300 years ago.

Best book I love most on period embroidery is "18th Century Embroidery Techniques" by Gail Marsh. I've enjoyed theis book greatly. Shows many techniques on the tools of the trade as well as whitework, quilting, crewel work, hollie point, tambour, and so much more! Even the details of knotting and gold/silver work. It's all there. Glossary on terms, plus great photos and artist renditions of various period outfits.

But add onto this book at least a good sized detailed book on needlework in general. I was gifted a couple years ago a "Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework" and this book has EVERYTHING you need to know about EVERY type of Needlework out there and every step of the techniques possible. Simple and easy to use.

A tad difficult to see the stitches but it looks like crewel work embroidery in satin stitches and backstitching with some couching. Looks more like goldwork to me rather than gold silk thread.

But Constance is correct there. Use gold silk thread, best yet, metallic gold silk thread. YLI Corporation out of Rock Hill, NC has some fantastic silk thread I swear by. Check with a store catering specifically to quilters for this thread. Most carry silk thread.

Also recommended, check with Hazel Dickfoss with William Booth Draper. She's brilliant! If she doesn't have what you need, then she will most definitely know what to get, where to get it, who to talk to, and how it was made.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 5 weeks later...

I just reseved tge book "18th Century Embroidery Techniques" by Gail Marsh.

Allready red it one's and looked throu it manny time's now.

These examples are amazing! What a lot of work!!

Compared to these examples the uniform I showed here is realy crude.

Any howe it must be my female side and my interrest for decoration styles but I like this book!

Thanks!

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

Glad you're enjoying it! It is amazing what people have been capable of doing when there is no modern life stuff to intrude.

I just reseved tge book "18th Century Embroidery Techniques" by Gail Marsh.

Allready red it one's and looked throu it manny time's now.

These examples are amazing! What a lot of work!!

Compared to these examples the uniform I showed here is realy crude.

Any howe it must be my female side and my interrest for decoration styles but I like this book!

Thanks!

An awesome book, isn't it, Korisios? I constantly utilize that book. The references are just beyond fantastic. Yes, the examples in the book are beyond incredible.

There are a lot of great examples out there of the embroidery on outfits. Both in the surviving pieces and the paintings.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!