My British Naval Officer's Hat

Redvipers

After finding the ready made hat much too expensive for my taste ($197). I ordered a hat blank with a wide brim. I received it today ($29) and started forming and the preliminary gold trim. It is a good quality and very comfortable to wear. Below is what I hope it will be similar to. I will post a photo when it is completed.

Joe

capthat.gif

I'm almost done with the hat. got some gold stuff from Walley World and a small hot glue gun then my First Mate and I attacked our first hat project. Took the photos with my $20 digital camera (also from Walley World) so the photos are grainy...sorry..If you look real close you can see Captain Jack Aubry's head in the background.

hat01.jpg

hat02.jpg

Total cost was $52 and the labor was a free learning experience...lol

I love your hat! I'm thinking about making some hats by hand for myself and my man, and was wondering where you grabbed that original image from, and where you purchased that particular hat blank. Is it fur felt or wool felt?

Thanks!

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

Your hat looks great, Redvipers! A job well-done!

I'd suspect that's a bust of Napoleon wearin' the chapeau, did I not know that you are an officer of His Majesty's Royal Naval forces!

Might it be Nelson, instead?

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I love your hat! I'm thinking about making some hats by hand for myself and my man, and was wondering where you grabbed that original image from, and where you purchased that particular hat blank. Is it fur felt or wool felt?

Thanks!

Akashazuul

Here is where I bought the hat

berkelyhat It is velour fur felt. I am very well pleased with the quality of this $29 hat blank. I ordered it last Saturday and received it Thursday.

The biggest problem is that it is a yahoo store and in order to buy it with a credit card I had to sign up with yahoo to get a secure key.

Good luck with your hat making.

Joe

I'd suspect that's a bust of Napoleon wearin' the chapeau, did I not know that you are an officer of His Majesty's Royal Naval forces!

Capt. William

I'm afraid it not be Napoleon nor Lord Nelson.....the bust be a one eyed pirate and aye, tis true I be a King's officer, Captain of the HMS Defiant (74) on the Bolitho Discussion Group and Captain of the Seminole frigate on the Broadsides and Boarding Parties 1776 Discussion Group, Thou I be on leave from both to work on my 2nd book (Pursuit of Honor) in my Beauchamp of the Royal Navy series. :ph34r:

Nice hat, looks grea' so far! Don' be afraid to use those glue guns, I do it all the time! *wonders how that's supposed to put a self-respectin' pyrate at ease*

I know this may sound repetitive, but how does one shape the hat from one style t' another?

Captain Wolfy Wench

Well Captain, we did it by hand and used the small acco paper binding clips to hold shape while we worked. I think it would have been better to install some plain craft wire along the brim before gluing the gold on. The wire will hold the shape, now, because I did not use the wire I must shellac or varnish the hat to help it retain the shape. The coating will help protect the hat from weather as well as help it keep the shape..... I wish I had used the wire method; still it came out very well. I think that after the varnishing I will stitch the front brim to the aft brim near the sides to help keep the shape, at least till the varnish dries.

Fair winds

Joe :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Capt. William

Captain William

I finally got the camera to work again so.....here is the bust without the hat.

pirate.jpg

ps: I have a TV interview on WTLV Channel 4 in Jacksonville on the Weekend Sunday Morning Show on the 21st and the seamstress promised to have the Frock coat and hopefully the trousers done by then...if so I will post a photo if I can find a decent camera to use.

Fair Winds ;)

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I got me King's coat today (me handle used to be redvipers) but not the pants, shirt and vest.....I have a tv interview tomorrow morning so I improvised....pulled out an old pirate shirt from me wenching days and went to the sports shop and procured me a fine pair o' baseball pants...these should see me through.

KP01.jpg

KP09.jpg

Can't wait fer the ruffled shirt and 13 button pants ta get here....but boy is wool hot in Florida......KP