Cutthroat Island... any good?

imadrunkenpirate

I Loooove Cutthroat Island! I agree on the acting and plot stinking. . . somehow, the dialogue seems so forced and "I am reading this off the teleprompter" style. There is something very inspiring to see a movie with that much money spent on sets and props having a woman as a strong lead character. Geena Davis looks a bit clumsy at pirate things, but is still fun to watch. Frank Langella is still a good actor even with bad lines, and he plays a great bad guy.

The costumes are fabulous! The ships are lavishly done, and worth renting the film just to ogle. I got the DVD just to stare more closely at the amazing costumes. Worth looking at are Frank Langella's pistol and sword.

Rent it, don't expect much, pop some popcorn, and be pleasantly surprised at the parts that are pretty good.

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

I'm in the minority around here, but I loved it. Great costuming, wonderful sets, great ships and lots of guns. To tell the truth, I didn't find much wrong with the acting. And the score is absolutely fantastic, well on a par with PoTC, and head and shoulders above Master and Commander. I bought this on VHS when it first came out and then got the DvD about 2 years ago.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Smoke , fire , action , loud ,loud scenes lots of battle stuff and treasure at the end ... I guess I kind of liked it I suppose .. :)

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

The movie was good. I can see why, overall that it was not as successful as POTC. It was harder, at the start, to figure out who was who and why was "this or that" happening. Some things happened so fast. It was better once the movie settled in. For some reason, between the two, some of the things that Captain Jack and co. seemed to get out of seemed more believable to the eye than Cutthroat. Parts of Cutthroat seemed way over-conceived and more far fetched with predictable endings. Like toward the end, ya just knew they were gonna get the treasure. Some things resolved too quickly, like they got rid of the British Governer and the author/traitor way too quick. POTC kept you on the edge more. But Cutthroat was a nice production and maybe now with Pyracy becoming more envogue, it can get a second wind on video/dvd. :ph34r:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I just thought it was a fun movie to watch. Great costumes, and from what I've heard, they are still worn by some reinactors who purchased them after the movie came out. It was a classic swashbuckler, but I also agree that the acting wasn't the best. Oh well, it's fun to watch anyway.

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Cutthroat Island - excellent. Everything a movie should be, silly, loud, exciting with daft wigs and a silky-voiced English adversary and a really really bad baddy. Loved the map on the pirate's head.

Last but not least, Matthew Modine is rather easy on the eye, don'tcha

know!

Artie. B)

Smoke , fire , action , loud ,loud scenes lots of battle stuff and treasure at the end ...

My kinda movie fer all these reasons and because of the cinematography (some great land/seascapes).

Igniting the fire but rising above the flames

My shame is... I love this movie.

Heck, eBay was selling off props from it for a while just last year... and I own a bit of Cutthroat Island history. *sniff*

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

My shame is... I love this movie.

Heck, eBay was selling off props from it for a while just last year... and I own a bit of Cutthroat Island history. *sniff*

John do not be ashamed......the whole idea of an adventure movie is to take you away from reality and CutThroat Island certainly does that...I too loved it. I did not look for authenticity nor errors and I enjoyed the entire picture...several times now...lol..so set your sails and turn her toward Madagascar and add to this pile of Treasure...Arrrrrrrrrhhhh!duel.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it, too. Geena Davis was a disappointment in the acting department. Didn't even attempt an accent. Also, some of the stunts were just so campy, ye could almost see the wires. Matt Modine had some o' the greatest lines. "Thank you, but I've seen one before." The plot was awfully predictable what with the map an' the buried treasure, it was really just a reinterpretation o' Treasure Island. There I go, usin' big words again. With those critiques (I can't complain, cause I really liked it), the sets were lavishly done, the costuming superb, an' the ships were just too cool.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

Geena Davis was in it? I was too blinded by her.... um bodicework to notice any bad acting.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF