Order of The Leviathan

My vote is to keep the name we already have and make it our own.

agreed...as a real preacher/minister, I say let us make it our own and turn it round to an Order that represents the best of the best, who go out of their way to make this hobby better for ALL involved.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Oder of Larry but then what happens when we vote a Larry in ?We will never hear the end of it! Larry this Larry the Larry's order ;)I'm sick of Larry already!

OMG..ROTD...this is so bloody true

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Ok, now I am worried when the Pirate Hunter can see through me like a port hole.,Am I that transparent ?

Clear as glass... :blink:

Crewe of the Archangel

My vote is to keep the name we already have and make it our own.

agreed...as a real preacher/minister, I say let us make it our own and turn it round to an Order that represents the best of the best, who go out of their way to make this hobby better for ALL involved.

Agreed! This is ours, our order to make it what we will.

Three yeas...

Crewe of the Archangel

Well I mean, seriously? If we change the name, what will be next? To change the name "Devil's Dozen" because it is associated with the devil? Mates, we all had friends and family come from all over the United States to see us inducted into this Order, and I am not aware of anyone yet complaining about the name. Mention the name Order of Leviathan or Devil's Dozen to any of our pirate peers and what do you think they will think of? I would dare say that they would think of us, not some crackpot satanists. Our peers think of us by that name, and isn't that what is most important anyway? The name is already in place, has been advertised and promoted by Pirates Magazine, the rings have been made, excellent t-shirts have been made...I just don't think to change it to something else would do it for me. I wasn't voted into the Order of Larry, Order of Legend, the Brethren of Mermaids, or any other such, I was voted into the Order of Leviathan, and I am proud of that. It is a badge of honor for me. We were all voted into the Order of Leviathan because people thought that we represent the best of the best. Let's prove to them that they were right. It would diminish it in my eyes if we changed our name. We're pirates! Let's do as Sterling says and take it and make it something good! Then we have taken the victory away from evil in the first place...

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

We're pirates!

Oi speak fer yerself!

;);)

Crewe of the Archangel

We're pirates!

Oi speak fer yerself!

;);)

Very well. We're pirates and one closet pirate... ;)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

LOL...brilliant!

Crewe of the Archangel

Well I mean, seriously? If we change the name, what will be next? To change the name "Devil's Dozen" because it is associated with the devil? Mates, we all had friends and family come from all over the United States to see us inducted into this Order, and I am not aware of anyone yet complaining about the name. Mention the name Order of Leviathan or Devil's Dozen to any of our pirate peers and what do you think they will think of? I would dare say that they would think of us, not some crackpot satanists. Our peers think of us by that name, and isn't that what is most important anyway? The name is already in place, has been advertised and promoted by Pirates Magazine, the rings have been made, excellent t-shirts have been made...I just don't think to change it to something else would do it for me. I wasn't voted into the Order of Larry, Order of Legend, the Brethren of Mermaids, or any other such, I was voted into the Order of Leviathan, and I am proud of that. It is a badge of honor for me. We were all voted into the Order of Leviathan because people thought that we represent the best of the best. Let's prove to them that they were right. It would diminish it in my eyes if we changed our name. We're pirates! Let's do as Sterling says and take it and make it something good! Then we have taken the victory away from evil in the first place...

I so agree mate!

. . .

What Stynky says is true. Set not Satan, however read their Order's stated Purpose:

"Purpose of the Order

The Order of Leviathan is dedicated towards articulating, apprehending, and ... understanding the Mind and Will of the Prince of Darkness, and His Mandate to us.

As such, the Order acts as a focus for personal initiation of its members... in that it seeks to take those concepts that we discover and convert them into operant techniques, approaches, and methods for self-directed evolution.

..., the Order of Leviathan presents itself as the explicitly religious core of the Temple of Set, uniting a rigorous application of Reason with a Willed Assent to the idea of an objective end for which humans were designed, a purpose underlying the bestowal of the Gift by Set, a transcendent destiny for Setians as the agents of the Black Flame (Satan)."

I look forward to your continued opinions. I think I will go to bed now, this has been bugging me and I've been up all night researching and looking for answers, maybe it's my latent High Episcopal up bringing. My apologies if I am unduly stressing out my brethren. - MacKay

Hold on a second MacKay, why are you adding Satan to the end here? I don't see it in the original text.

For all I know, agents of the Black Flame (damn, another cool name), could mean anything from Ozzy Osbourne to some boss level video game character in World of WarCraft - it doesn't say Satan.

Now just because a group of adolescents, bored with playing Dungeons and Dragons, got together in 1982 to create a web page that hasn't gotten any attention until we stumbled upon it, doesn't mean we shouldn't use the name.

And why are you only asking this question/doing this web search now?

I know I looked this up way back when - before I allowed myself to even be nominated or attach myself/persona to it. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Captain Sterling did a search of it early on as well.

. . . adolescents, bored with playing Dungeons and Dragons, . . .

Seriously, like I should talk. I'm how old, living in Cascabel's basement (moved out of my Mom's) and still playing Pyrate dress-up. . .

Aye, Stynky, I did as soon as the name of the Order first posted. Granted I was not at all pleased with what came up when googled but when asking around about it, no one put our Order in allegiance with said cult or any cult for that matter. Nor did anyone link the name of Leviathan with Satan, which in a Scriptural sense can mean one and the same. It all came back to me as ships, and seas, and sea creatures...nothing more.

Remember MacKay, tis what we bring to the table that makes us what we are, it is how we behave both in public and private that will speak louder than anything else. And if you are a believer, your very presence has already sanctified your place in the Order.. perhaps we should set a course for the Honorable Order of the Leviathan, an immense and powerful group that finally gives a good name to pirates, through our work for the hobby, charity etc.

Perhaps if we came up with a mission statement that clearly defines what we are about this would help matters?

Crewe of the Archangel

"We are an Order of Light shinning upon those raising the bar in our community!"

Please also consider the dictionary definition as we are closer to that then the Devil ha ha, but seriously mates come on??? This has to do more with the serpents on the old maps and high adventure than Ole Nick.We are bigger than worrying about some people thinking a bunch odd pirates are Satan worshipers. Remember this is an Order and you can resign or be voted out and all those in favor of voting out Talderoy for choosing the Satanic name say EYE! t's my choice in the name and it was to invoke(Wait that's a devil worshipers term) Imagination of olde world adventure on the high seas where you worried about things bigger than pirates, SEA MONSTERS. I Believe the name should be edgey. The Order of Unicorns and DO gooders just doesn't do it for me. Anyway from the Horses ass ,,, I mean mouth!

Watch it there, mate! I am a card carrying member of that Order of Unicorns, Pansies, and do Gooders!!! ;)

. . .

What Stynky says is true. Set not Satan, however read their Order's stated Purpose:

"Purpose of the Order

The Order of Leviathan is dedicated towards articulating, apprehending, and ... understanding the Mind and Will of the Prince of Darkness, and His Mandate to us.

As such, the Order acts as a focus for personal initiation of its members... in that it seeks to take those concepts that we discover and convert them into operant techniques, approaches, and methods for self-directed evolution.

..., the Order of Leviathan presents itself as the explicitly religious core of the Temple of Set, uniting a rigorous application of Reason with a Willed Assent to the idea of an objective end for which humans were designed, a purpose underlying the bestowal of the Gift by Set, a transcendent destiny for Setians as the agents of the Black Flame (Satan)."

I look forward to your continued opinions. I think I will go to bed now, this has been bugging me and I've been up all night researching and looking for answers, maybe it's my latent High Episcopal up bringing. My apologies if I am unduly stressing out my brethren. - MacKay

Hold on a second MacKay, why are you adding Satan to the end here? I don't see it in the original text.

For all I know, agents of the Black Flame (damn, another cool name), could mean anything from Ozzy Osbourne to some boss level video game character in World of WarCraft - it doesn't say Satan.

Now just because a group of adolescents, bored with playing Dungeons and Dragons, got together in 1982 to create a web page that hasn't gotten any attention until we stumbled upon it, doesn't mean we shouldn't use the name.

And why are you only asking this question/doing this web search now?

I know I looked this up way back when - before I allowed myself to even be nominated or attach myself/persona to it. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Captain Sterling did a search of it early on as well.

DAMB !!! Order of the Black Flame was my Second choise !!!!! Dag Nabit!

Finally found you all. I too believe we can make the name our own and set our own rules. We are pirates after all. I looked up Leviathan back in February and found the biblical meanings as well as the simple meaning "larger than large". Let's not worry about changing such a great name and let's take over the lead on Google. I also found a site about a big cock (pardon mon francaise) when I looked up Leviathan. We all know we don't have those, eh? For me the image of sea monsters forms.

For a long time, every time we got call at Portland Pirate Festival headquarters asking if we were celebrating MODERN DAY PIRACY (Somalis, etc.) with our festival, I struggled with how we might look to some on the outside. Many of those calls came from Christian media. But, little by little we have brought most folks around when they visit us with their families, take part in the most fun they've ever had while helping us raise money for charity. It's about adventure, freedom and helping others along the way. Even if that simply means a smile on a child's face when they see us. We can fret over such things for naught. KLOVE (Popular Christian Radio Station) ended up as a sponsor for Pirate Fest last year, after a couple years of calling us out for celebrating piracy. Now they get it! I suppose for those of us who might be superstitious, our name could bring some worry. But I vote for keeping the name and creating a nobler connotation in our own right. If'n pirates can ever be noble????

Co-Captain of The Portland Pirate Festival www.portlandpiratefestival.com

Margot Productions www.margotproductions.com

BOOM Bilge Rats (Band) www.cdbaby.com/cd/boompirates

www.facebook.com/katherinelarsen

www.facebook.com/boombilgerats

I agree, lets keep the name and make it our own. I do like the "Honorable Order..."as Captian Williby suggested. I apologize to those of you who have been stirred up. I am remiss that I did not look up the name back when nominated, at the time, I was just very happy to be nominated among such outstanding, established and honored Pirates as yourselves. So I looked it up yesterday, and was a bit surprised. That's all. Obviously from the responses of some, you also had not looked it up. Huzzah to those of you who had, you are obviously a tad sharper than the rest of us. lol

"why are you only asking this question/doing this web search now?" indeed! I didn't realize there was a time limit on educating oneself...

As I said numerous times, I was just opening this up for our Order to discuss, and so we have. In a way this was a small test, and we heard (in one form or another from over half of our brethren within half a day...pretty quickly given how busy we all are.

All in favor of keeping the name the same, say AYE

Talderoy AYE (very resounding aye!)

Captain Greene AYE

Cascabel AYE

Stynky Tudor Aye

Margot la Merchante AYE

John Sterling AYE

MacKay AYE

Braze

Quicksilver

Willoughby Caught

Jamie Bellows

Captain Black AYE

Captain MacLeod

Sea Wolf Stone

Aye !!!, sez I. Let's make the name our own, and toss the crackpots and people that deliberately mis-construe things overboard where they belong !! I am not a person that feels obligated to justify things to idiots......

>>> Cascabel

Well then I move that the ayes have it... shall we move the next bit of the agenda on to the floor?

Crewe of the Archangel

Aye !!!, sez I. Let's make the name our own, and toss the crackpots and people that deliberately mis-construe things overboard where they belong !! I am not a person that feels obligated to justify things to idiots......

>>> Cascabel

Agreed my brother! :blink:

(1945)

My feelings

This name is edgy and conjors up images of high adventure and sea monster. I'm proud to be ascociated with pirates such as yer selfs. It's what we do that defines us, let make a good example of ourselfs