Order of The Leviathan

Ahoy my brethren. I have a question for all of you. Does anyone know who decided on the name for our order? Just for fun I typed "Order of The Leviathan" into google search. What I found was possibly a little alarming. I found that there already is an organization with this title. It appears to be a sect of Satan Worshipers formed in 1982. http://www.xeper.org/oleviathan/

"As such, the Order acts as a focus for personal initiation of its members in particular and, by extension, the Temple of Set as a whole, in that it seeks to take those concepts that we discover and convert them into operant techniques, approaches, and methods for self-directed evolution.

Through this approach, and because of our use of the Inspired Texts, the Order of Leviathan presents itself as the explicitly religious core of the Temple of Set, uniting a rigorous application of Reason with a Willed Assent to the idea of an objective end for which humans were designed, a purpose underlying the bestowal of the Gift by Set, a transcendent destiny for Setians as the agents of the Black Flame.

Our History

Leviathan appears as a monstrous primordial sea-creature in the Old Testament’s oldest known work, the Book of Job. The serpent or dragon image resonates throughout the world, touching other cultures and peoples: among them, Apep of the Egyptians, Tiamat of the Akkado-Sumerians, the Greek Typhon, the Midgard Serpent in Norse mythology, and the belief in “dragon currents” in Chinese cosmology. The common universal elements of this Serpentine Archetype - power, wisdom, renewal/rebirth, and liberation - led to its incorporation into the teachings of the Pre-Christian Gnostics and Hermeticists from which the Medieval/Renaissance magicians received their inspiration.

Leviathan’s hold over Black Magicians has been a strong one. Its name ringed the Baphomet used by the Church of Satan as the serpent that encircled and defined the Goat of Mendes. Medieval grimoires name Leviathan as one of the greatest Princes of Hell.

The Order of Leviathan was one of the Temple of Set’s earliest Orders, created in the year XVII (1982) by Magister James Lewis, when then-High Priest Ronald K. Barrett decided that Masters of the Temple should found orders to focus their teaching. It has grown and developed through the intervening years, and from studying its principles, Magus James Lewis Uttered the Word “Remanifest.” In XXXI (1996), Magister Michael Kelly became the Order’s second Grand Master. In XXXV (2000), the office of Grand Master passed to Magister Bruce Ware.

The Order examines the deepest origins of Leviathan, seeking further comprehension of the Dragon’s archetypal aspects and their relationship to Remanifestation, using as our prime resource the “Statement of Leviathan” found in The Diabolicon. There, Leviathan describes itself as the “Principle of Continuity and Ageless Existence.” Leviathan thus serves as our link to the concepts of immortality and to the primordial forces that pre-existed the creation of the ordered universe, the “zoe” – the chaotic and dynamic seed of life.

Our Approach

What sort of Setian initiate would pursue the Quest in this fashion, rather than choosing another Order and method? The OL offers a unique approach to Xeper: The Adept Black Magician explores and seeks to apprehend supra-rational concepts (and their supporting universal principles) of “Being” and “Becoming” that must be translated and applied in a no-nonsense manner to the Objective Universe.

Thus, the Order of Leviathan holds that the Word “Remanifestation” is critical to the accomplishment of the Aeonic Formula: “Xepera Xeper Xeperu.” That is, without Remanifestation, the idea of becoming is an abstraction – one without the necessary context of demonstrating to the Objective Universe the essential fact that Xeper has occurred, that “something” in the Initiating Being has changed.

We Remanifest the sense of Self that is the core Identity. We Remanifest the power of our essential humanity through the expression of the Gift of Set – the capacity or potential called Intelligence that humans alone possess. We Remanifest the development of the personal will that leads to the expanded and exalted vitality of a prolonged life, and the survival of biological death as an integrated and unique individual consciousness – what we know as Immortality.

Because the Initiate working in the Leviathanite mode does so much work on the frontiers of the supra-rational, we are committed to the critical importance of the development of a well-educated and well-trained mind. The Order of Leviathan has created the Setian Academy as a necessary first step for Setians desiring to work within the Order. Further, since we believe that Setians of all degrees would benefit from such an educational and training curriculum, the Setian Academy is also open to Initiates who are not members of the Order. The link below will take you to its Mission Statement, and is the gateway for further exploration of the Setian Academy."

I think I have an issue with this. Please check it out for yourselves. I invite your thoughts and comments. -MacKay

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa!!!;) Not good...

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Aye I saw this months ago as well and was promptly concerned about what articles we were having to sign or what ever oaths we were going to have to take. Neither of which appeared at the induction ceremony unless I missed them due to being so late to the affair. But when speaking to Stynky, upon arriving, he said he had not seen anything regarding said articles either. So all worked out well to my advantage regarding any questionable wording... Stynky and several others were well aware that I would not be signing anything, even in jest, with any such ties to a satanic cult.

Talderoy will have to speak up for this himself, but odds are the name of the order has nothing whatsoever to do with the satanic cult. Most likely just a name that has more punch then the Order of Mermaids/Mermen... ;)

Leviathan also means

–noun

(often initial capital letter) Bible. a sea monster.

any huge marine animal, as the whale.

anything of immense size and power, as a huge, oceangoing ship.

(initial capital letter, italics) a philosophical work (1651) by Thomas Hobbes dealing with the political organization of society.

Origin:

1350–1400; ME levyathan < LL leviathan ≪ Heb liwyāthān

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I suspect that whoever came up with the name had no intentions of associating it with the satanic cult. Our symbol is a sea serpent wrapped around the skull, and as long as the name is representative (and I think it is) of a sea monster, I have no problem with it. It would be nice for our Order to take the fame of the name away from the cult so that everyone would always associate the name with something good rather than something negative. :blink:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

I find myself having to read up on the temple of set, and setians, to try to get a handle on this.... and the differences in theistic Santanism and Sentianism. YIKES! I just wanted to be a Pirate Lord!

I agree with that. I am sure that none of my brethren here, meant anything by choosing the name, and that any coincidence is just that a coincidence. However, it IS an unfortunate one. I personally do not like that when you do a search engine search of the name all that you get is information like the above. It will take a little time before OUR Order of The Leviathan is public enough to top the google search, unless we actively start to make Our ORder of The Leviathan more public. More talk of it, and more interest, more messages, more facebooking, more advertising more images of the logo posted, etc... this is the way search engines and social media work. We will need to be proactive IF we want to keep the name and OVERRIDE the group who has previous claim ( and search engine ranking) to it. Just some thoughts.

Set not Satan - Setian just makes them followers of some (made up) brand of Egyptian religion. And as far as I know, the Egyptians didn’t have any concept of Satan – so I’m not sure that they are actually connected.

But really that’s besides the point. Like so many good ideas, company and crew names, people often happen upon this stuff independently of each other, even at the same time because it sounds cool – and that’s what copyright lawyers are for. :blink:

Besides the word Leviathan has been with us for centuries to explain away missing and wrecked ships. I don’t see a reason to let some unknown (Wikipideia) cult take our name from us. Hell, lets steal it from them!

I mean as bad-ass as any of us want to play being pyrate – I don’t know anyone here that wants to be part of a group that carries the negative baggage of some death cult, like the followers of Set or the Satanic Church.

I agree, the more chatter we get/give about ourselves - the more of an institution we will become. Between that and some well seeded meta keywords planted in the headers of web pages will take over search engines by default.

Set not Satan - Setian just makes them followers of some (made up) brand of Egyptian religion. And as far as I know, the Egyptians didn't have any concept of Satan – so I'm not sure that they are actually connected.

But really that's besides the point. Like so many good ideas, company and crew names, people often happen upon this stuff independently of each other, even at the same time because it sounds cool – and that's what copyright lawyers are for. laugh.gif

Besides the word Leviathan has been with us for centuries to explain away missing and wrecked ships. I don't see a reason to let some unknown (Wikipideia) cult take our name from us. Hell, lets steal it from them!

I mean as bad-ass as any of us want to play being pyrate – I don't know anyone here that wants to be part of a group that carries the negative baggage of some death cult, like the followers of Set or the Satanic Church.

Aye, I think we should steal the name and the fame away from the wacko devil worshipers.

Us pirates is better !!! biggrin.gif

>>>> Cascabel

Set not Satan - Setian just makes them followers of some (made up) brand of Egyptian religion. And as far as I know, the Egyptians didn’t have any concept of Satan – so I’m not sure that they are actually connected.

Remind me to debate this with you some other time...snigger...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Not trying to stir things up. If anything this may be the first test of how our Order will function. I'm just opening this for discussion and I'm glad to see our members responding so quickly.

What Stynky says is true. Set not Satan, however read their Order's stated Purpose:

"Purpose of the Order

The Order of Leviathan is dedicated towards articulating, apprehending, and ... understanding the Mind and Will of the Prince of Darkness, and His Mandate to us.

As such, the Order acts as a focus for personal initiation of its members... in that it seeks to take those concepts that we discover and convert them into operant techniques, approaches, and methods for self-directed evolution.

..., the Order of Leviathan presents itself as the explicitly religious core of the Temple of Set, uniting a rigorous application of Reason with a Willed Assent to the idea of an objective end for which humans were designed, a purpose underlying the bestowal of the Gift by Set, a transcendent destiny for Setians as the agents of the Black Flame ( Satan)."

Do we want this association?

Kim Cross, Pirates mag sent me this

"Dear Jeff,I agree with you. I have had random phone calls to the magazine asking me

about this very thing. It would be unfair for anyone to make assumptions

about the name when those in the Order are such good people. And it is early

enough.

Thoughts?

Kim

I look forward to your continued opinions. I think I will go to bed now, this has been bugging me and I've been up all night researching and looking for answers, maybe it's my latent High Episcopal up bringing. My apologies if I am unduly stressing out my brethren. - MacKay

I know fer certain that Conan of Cimmeria was not too impressed with the Order of Set....

But the order does have some redeeming philosophical views: "common universal elements of this Serpentine Archetype - power, wisdom, renewal/rebirth, and liberation". Hey it's the Devil's Dozen, too. Mebbe we should carry pitchforks, preferring the Neptune context rather than good ol' Beelzebub.

Quicksilver@PiratePots.com

www.PiratePots.com

www.LostMtnClay.com

"...Now and then we had a hope that if we

lived and were good, God would permit us

to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Actually it all boils down to who picked the name for the order in the first place and what his/her reasons for the name were... once they speak up then I would think some questions will be answered.

If, for whatever reason, they are purposely associating it with such ideals as MacKay has posted, then it is for the Order to decide whether they wish to stick with it or make changes, if we are even allowed...as the Order is technically property of Pirates Magazine.

Crewe of the Archangel

With regards to property of Pirates magazine: See the above for Kim Cross's email and here is Dave Nichols'

All,

Suggest that we not bring up the little known Satanic order to the world

(since we have been promoting The Order of Leviathan for over a year now),

and instead, slowly transition it into something else. Also suggest that

we keep the initials "O.L." since the rings and logo are already made. How

about if we start to call our group The Order of Legend (the entire name

being - The Order of Legendary Pirates). This has a cool ring to it. We

could also, in the magazine and among ourselves, simple call it The Order

or The Pirates' Order.

On the other hand, I too, just Googled the Order of The Leviathan (the

Satanic one) and believe it is rather obscure and think it not likely that

we will be confused with them in any way. Did you know there is also a

Devil's Dozen? They were a one percenter outlaw motorcycle club, now

extinct. There was also a film entitled The Devil's Dozen. You can't

second guess everything in life, nothing would ever get done.

I believe our usage of both The Devil' Dozen and Order of Leviathan is

fresh, new and will not cause any problems, both legal or moral.

Should you wish to change it, I'm good with it. I think I might just start

calling it The Order of Larry (the one armed, one eyed pirate mentioned

fleetingly in POTC III).

Dave Nichols

Editor Pirates Magazine

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Bilge Rat

I believe you have voiced legitimate concerns with this name and its association with the other group. So many times, things we may see as humorous or of little concern others see evil in them and blow them all out of portion. It would not be good to be misunderstood this early in our existence.

Do you suggest that we change the name?

What is the stated purpose of our group to begin with?

If we will be seeking sponsorship then perhaps the name is a matter for concern. Here in Georgia, the buckle of the Bible belt, I can see this name causing us problems. However, if no sponsors are sought then I see little reason to fret over it.

We are not seeking membership but instead nominate pirates we chose therefore public opinion in this area has little value.

Perhaps the thing to do would be to create a web page that clearly shows our purpose and makes it clear that we are in no way associated with any devil cults. This would be an area for Stynky’s expertise.

If people are going to the trouble of calling and asking then there could really be a problem we are not seeing. I once read that if one person will call to ask or complain there are a hundred more that felt the same and just didn’t bother to ask.

"We are an Order of Light shinning upon those raising the bar in our community!"

Please also consider the dictionary definition as we are closer to that then the Devil ha ha, but seriously mates come on??? This has to do more with the serpents on the old maps and high adventure than Ole Nick.We are bigger than worrying about some people thinking a bunch odd pirates are Satan worshipers. Remember this is an Order and you can resign or be voted out and all those in favor of voting out Talderoy for choosing the Satanic name say EYE! t's my choice in the name and it was to invoke(Wait that's a devil worshipers term) Imagination of olde world adventure on the high seas where you worried about things bigger than pirates, SEA MONSTERS. I Believe the name should be edgey. The Order of Unicorns and DO gooders just doesn't do it for me. Anyway from the Horses ass ,,, I mean mouth!

Edited by Talderoy

Actually it all boils down to who picked the name for the order in the first place and what his/her reasons for the name were... once they speak up then I would think some questions will be answered.

If, for whatever reason, they are purposely associating it with such ideals as MacKay has posted, then it is for the Order to decide whether they wish to stick with it or make changes, if we are even allowed...as the Order is technically property of Pirates Magazine.

Captain you hit the nail on the head, We are an Order and can vote on changing the name if necessary. We can call ourself O L ,The Order, Order of Legend or Order of Larry as it is not the name but the example we set. However I do not have anything to hide and think that changing or name is a set back . I am a pirate and if I'm a little mysterious it goes with the territory. I do not believe there are haters out there that can stand up to the character that this order has in it's members(They will just look stupid). I do however understand a businessman's concern in his public image.

I know fer certain that Conan of Cimmeria was not too impressed with the Order of Set....

But the order does have some redeeming philosophical views: "common universal elements of this Serpentine Archetype - power, wisdom, renewal/rebirth, and liberation". Hey it's the Devil's Dozen, too. Mebbe we should carry pitchforks, preferring the Neptune context rather than good ol' Beelzebub.

I like tridents!!!

Aye I saw this months ago as well and was promptly concerned about what articles we were having to sign or what ever oaths we were going to have to take. Neither of which appeared at the induction ceremony unless I missed them due to being so late to the affair. But when speaking to Stynky, upon arriving, he said he had not seen anything regarding said articles either. So all worked out well to my advantage regarding any questionable wording... Stynky and several others were well aware that I would not be signing anything, even in jest, with any such ties to a satanic cult.

Talderoy will have to speak up for this himself, but odds are the name of the order has nothing whatsoever to do with the satanic cult. Most likely just a name that has more punch then the Order of Mermaids/Mermen... :blink:

Leviathan also means

–noun

(often initial capital letter) Bible. a sea monster.

any huge marine animal, as the whale.

anything of immense size and power, as a huge, oceangoing ship.

(initial capital letter, italics) a philosophical work (1651) by Thomas Hobbes dealing with the political organization of society.

Origin:

1350–1400; ME levyathan < LL leviathan ≪ Heb liwyāthān

Ok, now I am worried when the Pirate Hunter can see through me like a port hole.,Am I that transparent ? Ha ha ha, Here it is mates. In the end this order should be a Leviathan of top Pirates. 13 Top examples a year voted for (and perhaps one inductee (Braze;) adding more each year to our Order

I agree that this discovery is disturbing. Personally, I struggle with constant misperceptions of the pagan faith having others assume that there is a devil worshiping aspect when nothing could be further from the truth.

With this new research coming to light, I do not think we need to be associated with devil worshiping of course, but it appears that there are other broader meanings as well.

Very clearly defining ourselves and our purpose could likely prevent any problems, though.

Perhaps to consider "Brethren of Leviathan" or Pirates of Leviathan"--getting away from "order" which in itself has religious overtones and connotations

altho "the order of Larry" has a nice ring to it....

Edited by WilloughbyCaught

My vote is to keep the name we already have and make it our own. It is already established, it sounds great, and for me at least, it does indeed invoke images of sea monsters in my mind. I had no earthly idea there was even any other organization by that name. Could Pirates Magazine not obtain a legal trademark for the name, and then no other group could use it legally? I think Braze's idea for perhaps setting up a website or page with our purpose and activities clearly stated is an excellent idea, and would fend off any negative connotations. I believe that the Order of Leviathan belongs to us and Pirates Magazine alone.

(1945)

I agree that this discovery is disturbing. Personally, I struggle with constant misperceptions of the pagan faith having others assume that there is a devil worshiping aspect when nothing could be further from the truth.

With this new research coming to light, I do not think we need to be associated with devil worshiping of course, but it appears that there are other broader meanings as well.

Very clearly defining ourselves and our purpose could likely prevent any problems, though.

Perhaps to consider "Brethren of Leviathan" or Pirates of Leviathan"--getting away from "order" which in itself has religious overtones and connotations

Here are the Scriptural references to Leviathan

300px-Lev-Beh-Ziz.jpg magnify-clip.pngLeviathan, Behemoth and ZizThe word "Leviathan" appears in five places in the Bible, with the book of Job, chapter 41, being dedicated to describing the Leviathan in detail:

“"Let them curse it that curse the day, who are ready to raise up their mourning."”—KJV, Job 3:8

“"May those who curse days curse that day, those who are ready to rouse Leviathan."”—NIV, Job 3:8

“"Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? Or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down? Canst thou put an hook into his nose? Or bore his jaw through with a thorn? Will he make many supplications unto thee? Will he speak soft words unto thee? Will he make a covenant with thee? Wilt thou take him for a servant for ever? Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? Or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens? Shall the companions make a banquet of him? Shall they part him among the merchants? Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? Or his head with fish spears? Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more. Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him? None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me? Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? Whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine. I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion. Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle? Who can open the doors of his face? His teeth are terrible round about. His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal. One is so near to another, that no air can come between them. They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered. By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out. Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron. His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth. In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him. The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved. His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone. When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves. The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon. He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble. Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear. Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire. He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment. He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary. Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear. He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride."”—KJV, Job 41:1-34

“"Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness."”—KJV, Psalms 74:14

“"O LORD, how manifold are thy works! In wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts. There go the ships: there is that leviathan, whom thou hast made to play therein."”—KJV, Psalms 104:24-26

“"In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish the leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea."”—KJV, Isaiah 27:1

I like the Oder of Larry but then what happens when we vote a Larry in ?We will never hear the end of it! Larry this Larry the Larry's order ;)I'm sick of Larry already!