The Ides of March...........

the Royaliste

:ph34r: Yep! That's right, it'a about that time...Riggin' the tops'ls, swabbin' the deck guns, the Pineapple and the Lady return the first week of March, according to their own schedules, so......the obvious! I'm probably not gonna post much on this, interested locals should get a hold of me, as these will become smaller crewed as a result of many changes over the winter'( lack of participation, 'tourists',people abusing my Ship,threats and snitches,etc)........Sea Battles will require participation, either sailing the ship, or manning the guns, but there'll be no more lollygagging about!..........Fire in the Hole!

nippon1.gif

<_<

Aye Cap'n!

Do ye mean ta say ye had Passengers on yer ship? Nay..... <_<

Wot fun is it just lollin' about on deck wilst mayhem's goin' on about th' ship? Firin' th' guns n' workin' the riggin'..... tha's where th' fun is ta be had, sez I!!!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Aye Cap'n!

Do ye mean ta say ye had Passengers on yer ship? Nay..... :ph34r:

Wot fun is it just lollin' about on deck wilst mayhem's goin' on about th' ship? Firin' th' guns n' workin' the riggin'..... tha's where th' fun is ta be had, sez I!!!

:ph34r: My sentiments, exactly!!..Since I am not a commercial operation as the Hawaiian Chieftian or the Lady Washington(yes, kids, hate to burst your Johnny Depp bubble, but she is a commercial business, not a pirate in R/L) I am now on the 'you are the crew' mentality. I will have no one on this Ship not participating,lest I look like a 'commercial' operation. Those who crew and participate in this lifestyle are welcome for Sea Battles, those not fully involved will not be allowed in the future. 'Riders' will have to wait for non-battle sails....Only those willfully realising the risks they take reenacting at sea will be involved anytime these guns are fired...Yo-Ho!

<_<

..always willin' t' make things go BOOM, Cap'n....

Less people means I can jump further away from the cannon before it goes off.

At this rate, people are gonna start callin' me Froggy. <_<

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

ALSO...

Lucky went to Britex yesterday. Checked on prices on fabrics for certain new flags..

Not sure if I liked their "heavy cotton" selection, but they at least had the black and red in their heaviest nylon.

An' they looked at me mighty amusedly when I told 'm it was for a flag going on "a real pirate ship".

Arr <_<

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

Kewl, Penny!!..Yea, the cotton might not be the best, considerin'....

Aye, an' the cotton was this ribbed stuff too. No real drape to it at all. In other words, perhaps a little TOO sturdy. <_<

As for the nylon stuff...y'know, I remembered you saying that the nylon drapes well, but it gets beat up quicky. At the price I saw it for, perhaps we oughta consider makin' two identical flags..that way there's always a backup!

But that's jus' th' Pirate Scout in me! :ph34r:

I have samples of both, though. We'll just have t' work out a time to get them to you.

Well, the problem with using the pin diagram as a test of worth is that the Royaliste's pin diagram is unique to the Royaliste. You can't learn what's tied to each of the belaying pins unless you sail her. Memorizing the diagram would be easy enough for anyone to do, as on paper it would be just memorizing the name of what is on pin X, y & z. Knowing which piece of cloth a particular top'sl is and knowing what to do with it are two entirely different things.

Additionally, there are lots of terrific people with enthusiasm and a desire to learn who have never had an opportunity like this in their lives before this point and have no resource for prior information. Having come from that particular situation myself, I like to see learning from the ground up encouraged and fostered among people with an appreciation for the ship.

What I've done on this end to try to improve the situation is to create a detailed orientation program and adapted a standard legal liability waiver. The orientation will explain to people some of the do's and don'ts that might not occur to inexperienced people and will familiarize them with important terminology so that they know what the crew is talking about and basic safety considerations.

Generally I feel that 99% of the people who come are there for the same reasons I am. A genuine love and appreciation for this amazing ship and the history of her predecessors.

...Oh, and a chance to blast the $&*@ out o' things! lol!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

ALSO...

Lucky went to Britex yesterday. Checked on prices on fabrics for certain new flags..

Not sure if I liked their "heavy cotton" selection, but they at least had the black and red in their heaviest nylon.

An' they looked at me mighty amusedly when I told 'm it was for a flag going on "a real pirate ship".

Arr :ph34r:

Now I be startin' to drift towards a red field, back to 1700, 'Jolie Rouge' style, with the logo in gold, or white...Did they 'ave any 'gold'?? :ph34r:

Now I be startin' to drift towards a red field, back to 1700, 'Jolie Rouge' style, with the logo in gold, or white...Did they 'ave any 'gold'?? :ph34r:

I didn' see any, Cap'n, at least, not in the nylon.

But o' course, when I looked I was looking for the black in particular..found the black and red.

I could go tomorrow an' looksy for ye. :)

Give a look, but if they don't, I wuz thinkin' 'o usin' old sail cloth, heavy dacron, for the detail, may stick to that..will last a long time, looks like 'bone'..If the red wuz deep enuff, I be likin' it more 'n more..In a sea battle, from far off, you'd see the big hunk 'o red run up the gaff, an' there would be no doubt!! :)

Well...for my part, I so far have NO practical knowledge on how to help sail or man the guns for the Royaliste. I've been trying to watch to at least begin to get some clue...but I can't vouch for having one!

However...I am more than willing to learn. So, if that counts for participating, I'm good to go! Just show me a knot or two, tell me when and where to pull (oh dear, this is starting to sound bad), and I can at least guarantee I'll learn!

And once I recover from all the inadvertant double entendres, I'll be just fine, thank ye.

Yeesh.

Um. Right. Well.

Yeah.

:ph34r: