New Pirate/Maritime Books

Red Maria

I love Nelson's books, but I've yet to read the "Bretheren of the Coast" series... I'm assuming they are good? Anyone, anyone??

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in Charleston, a bloke told me about FEEDING NELSON'S NAVY; said that it debunked the myth that sailors of that era (at least in the Royal Navy) were ill-fed.

Has anyone on the list read it?

Also, Tuesday I'm going to a booksigning fer THE PIRATES LAFFITE, by William C. Davis.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

At the Charleston Maritime Festival, I had the honor and pleasure to have the author James L. Neslon in the tent next to mine. The creator of the Brethern of the Coast series has a new book, The Only Life That Mattered, about lady pirates Bonney & Reed.

Aye: and Capt. Jim-Sib treated me first mate Jan (the Pyrate Queen) to a copy, which she's now enjoying.

Capt. Jim makes beautiful ship-in-bottle models; two of which - including the Confederate commerce raider JEFFERSON DAVIS - sit proudly on my mantle. :)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I recently got "The way of the Pirate" by Robert Downie

This has a very brief history of Piracy, A list of articles, and the positions on a pirate ship. Then the rest of it is a "Who's Who in Davey Jone's Locker" Listing the pirates by last name, then under that gives their real name, a brief history if it is known. What ship they were on, how they got it, or it got them as the case may be, and how they met their end if it is known. Really very fascinating.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello--I'm the author of the forthcoming novel "Kingston by Starlight" (Crown Books/Three Rivers Press). I see the book was mentioned in an earlier post! I hope you enjoy it. "Kingston by Starlight" is a fictionalized take on the story of Anne Bonny (you can check out more about it on Amazon.com or on my site at myspace/cjfarley.com. I was born in Kingston, Jamaica so I've heard stories abour pirates all my life (I was raised, however, in the pirate-free zone of Upstate New York). My novel has gotten a couple positive notices so far. Frank McCourt, author of Angela's Ashes, said: “What makes this different from all other novels I’ve read recently is the writing—superbly poetic. There are sentences and passages that make you want to stop and read them again and again. There are Caribbean colors that will swim through your head long after you’ve put the book down.” Anyways, I hope you all spread the word, order early--and tell me what you think (but be kind--it's fiction!).

'ello, just got a new book entitled.

"She Captains - Heroines and Hellions of the Sea" by Joan Druett.

this from the DJ

Long before women had the right to vote, earn money, or have lives of their own, "she captains" - bold women distinguished for courageous enterprise on the high seas - thrilled and terrorized their shipmates, performed acts of valor, and pirated with the best of their male counterparts.

an old Shantty

O come list a while, and you soon shall hear

By the Rolling seas lived a maiden fair

Her father followed the smuggling trade

Like a warlike hero

Like a warlike hero that never was afraid.

Now in sailor's clothing young Jane did go

Dressed like a sailor from top to toe

Her aged father was the only care

Of this female smuggler

Of this female smuggler who never did despair

With her pistols loaded she went aboard

And by her side hung a glittering sword,

In her belt two daggers, well armed for war

Was this female smuggler,

Was this female smuggler who never feared a scar.

Armed to the teeth with cutlasses and pistols, they inspired awe and admiration as they swaggered about in facy hats and expensive finery, killing many a man who cowered cravenly before them.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like a real good one for British naval history. I might even have to buy one myself! :)

The command of the ocean : a naval history of Britain 1649-1815 / N. A. M. Rodger. London : Allen Lane in association with the National Maritime Museum , 2004. ISBN 0713994118 (hbk.)

Here's some more info on it:

http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/spring05/006050.htm

Some very good sketches of common seaman's garb.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

"Command of the Ocean" is an absolute must have for anyone interested in maritime history of that period. If we're honest it's very difficult to look at any aspect of maritime history of the late 17th -19th century without having to take into acocunt (to a greater or lesser extent) the activities of the Royal Navy, and "Command of the Ocean" is probably the best one volume history of the RN from 1649-1815 available.

Also of interest is the first volume in Rodger's series: "Safeguard of the Seas: A Naval history of Britain, 660-1649".

Rodger is one of the most reliable and readable historians of today. When I bought "Command of the Ocean" I read it from start to finish (583 pages of text followed by 63 pages of appendices and a 24 page glossary) in about 10 days. I found it a real struggle to put down and get on with work...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

"Kingston by Starlight" AND "The Only Life That Mattered" ... I've been waiting ALL my life for a decent fictionalized version of the Anne Bonny and Mary Read story, and now I find out there's TWO?!?!?

*tries not to salivate*

I've got to get me to a bookstore right NOW! ... :lol:

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

• 2 months later...
When I was in Charleston, a bloke told me about FEEDING NELSON'S NAVY; said that it debunked the myth that sailors of that era (at least in the Royal Navy) were ill-fed.

Has anyone on the list read it?

Also, Tuesday I'm going to a booksigning fer THE PIRATES LAFFITE, by William C. Davis.

Capt. William

Capt. William

This just came into the Library and I agree with Capt. Syn it is a definate must. I wouldn't mind trying these recipies on PRP at an encampment sometime. Also just good information on the food, diet, victulling cooking etc. of the period.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Just picked this one from Amazon last week:

The Sea Rovers: Pirate Tactics and Techniques 1630-1730

Benerson Little

Potomac Books ISBN 1-57488-910-9

I preordered it figuring it to be just what I was looking for. I'm only half way thru it and I'm not disappointed!

Little has taken period works and technical/historical material and has virtually weeded thru it to create a book that is informative and actually entertaining to read in an oddly historical sense. He covers the buccaneer period on into the early pirate era, focusing on not only chasing and boarding techniques but the lifestyles of the people involved on land as well as on the sea. He covers clothing, weapons, food, religion...you name it.

The main reason I picked it up was to confirm or disprove some of my theories on an individual's weapons techniques aboard ship and am happy to say that so far it supports the methods I've been teaching (though it doesn't break down the techniques to actual moves or drills), so I'm equally happy about that.

I can certainly recommend this book.

:P

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Is this the one written by the retired Navy Seal?

That's the one; retired Navy Seal, and analyst for the Naval Special Warfare Center Strategy and Tactics Group.

Monterey Jack

Nice. Thanks for the review Jack. I think I'll be picking that one up!

No worries; nice to be able to give something back to the forum! :lol:

Monterey Jack

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's something a bit different but still relevent to us. Two article on historical reenactment in Criticism a Quarterly for Literature & the Arts v.46 no.3 Summer 2004.

The Use & Abuse of Historical Reenactment: Thougts on Recent Trends in Public History by Aleaxander Cookpg.487-496

The Little Ship of Horrors: Reeenacting Extreme History by Iian MaCalman pg.477-486

You can get copies of these wo articles from me for the cost of copying and postage. If you want one please PM me.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Just picked this one from Amazon last week:

The Sea Rovers: Pirate Tactics and Techniques 1630-1730

Benerson Little

Potomac Books ISBN 1-57488-910-9

I preordered it figuring it to be just what I was looking for. I'm only half way thru it and I'm not disappointed!

Little has taken period works and technical/historical material and has virtually weeded thru it to create a book that is informative and actually entertaining to read in an oddly historical sense. He covers the buccaneer period on into the early pirate era, focusing on not only chasing and boarding techniques but the lifestyles of the people involved on land as well as on the sea. He covers clothing, weapons, food, religion...you name it.

The main reason I picked it up was to confirm or disprove some of my theories on an individual's weapons techniques aboard ship and am happy to say that so far it supports the methods I've been teaching (though it doesn't break down the techniques to actual moves or drills), so I'm equally happy about that.

I can certainly recommend this book.

<_<

It is a superb book, not only about tactics but what differentiated buccaneers from pirates in terms of motivation and techniques. Brilliant piece of work, and I'm only half through as well.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

This is more of a fun read than strictly historical, and was first published in the 1950's. It's called Dig For Pirate Treasure by Robert Nesmith. He is (was?) a coin expert, and there are a several pages of black and white pictures of coins of the period, with their current value (circa 1950,s), lists of Spanish ships lost to hurricanes, how much gold they were carrying, who the captains were.

Here are some of the chapter headings.

Spain's Golden Gallions

Capt. William Kidd-Pirate

The Pirate Skull (A man who swears he has the skull of Blackbeard-coated in silver- because the skull talked to him and told him that's who it was. <_<

Oak Island's Secret

Vigo's Mud Covered Millions

Anyway, you get the idea. I found it at our local library and loved it, then stumbled acoss a copy at a used book store in town.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 3 weeks later...

This is a new old book but it's a good one

The British Sailor: a Social History of the lower deck / by Peter Kemp

London : JM DEnt & Sons Ltd., 1970

It cover from the Tudor period to the end of the 19th c. Might try www.bookfinder.com for it.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency