Pawn Stars...

1stMate Matt

Has anyone watched this show yet? I keep it on whenever I see it just to catch what awesome firearm will come in next. Last episode they had a double barrel French carriage gun with a spring loaded bayonet. I am inspired to make one of these. The coach guns and other flintlocks that they get on that show are some of the best examples I have ever seen. The muskatoon that they had was also out of this world and they shot it. Infact they shoot almost all of the antique guns that they buy.

Anyone else catch this at all?

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I've seen it a couple of times. Interesting what people come in with.

There was one episode that had a lockbox from the 16th or 17th century (can't remember) that no one knew what was inside it and had no clue on how to open it. Well, eventually it was opened with the help of an expert to find it was completely empty. It did have a ball shot hole in it and it was authentic.

Another person brought in an authentic ship's bell from a shipwreck of a Spanish Galleon. Took an expert to come in to authenticate it. Pretty awesome.

Another episode, someone brought in a well framed preservation piece of an authentic document from Thomas Jefferson. Again, it took an expert to authenticate it.

Funny with these people that bring these items in... they would fair much better with these authentic items at a major auction and get at least their worth if not more rather than a pawn shop!

I have seen a couple episodes were someone has brought something in that's worthless and a dud or copy when they thought it was real. LOL... Oh, so funny watching their faces.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Another episode, someone brought in a well framed preservation piece of an authentic document from Thomas Jefferson. Again, it took an expert to authenticate it.

~Lady B

Did you see the one with a paycheck to himself signed by John Handcock? Neat!

thatworks.shop

Aye, it was John Hancock. Don't know why I was thinkin' it was Thomas Jefferson. Bah! :blink:

They aired the episode that had the double barrel flintlock last night. I can see why yo'r drooling, Matt. That was one wicked weapon! I WANT ONE NOW!!! :)

Double barrel - worked fabulously - the length of a blunderbuss with a spring loaded bayonet. That was one hell of a period weapon! I WANT ONE!!! Oh, God do I want one now! Some amazing and awesome history with that double barrel carriage flintlock. I can actually see a pirate with that. Like I said, short like a blunderbuss... two shots... then spring into action the bayonet! One hell of an intimidator weapon if not mega useful!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Yeah that double barrel capegun was awesome.They've had Blunderbusses and lots of great weapons. I have to say though, that ships bell was a Dutch East India bell dated 1602. They're " Expert" said is was off a Spanish Galleon.......No Way an East India Ships bell would have been off a Spanish Galleon. Am I Right guys? Never heard of even Pyrates stealin' ship's bells. Another thing, Their" Gun Experts" have a tendency to look down gun barrels to see if they're loaded. I mean, Dumb, and Dumber.....Use yer ramrod,save yer head.....But I love the show, wish I could run into the gun peddlers outside, I'd have me a hellacious gun collection already.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

I was perplexed by this show with it’s handling of hundreds of years old antique firearms by people in the “know” that take them out to ranges and shoot them. Arrrrg, you don’t do that and you don’t handle them without gloves, geeze, antique weapon 101 guys. Come on, at least get an x-ray before risking some problems here. It'd be different if it was your gun and had been firing it for years, but these are walk-ins. But, that isn’t a good show and that gets to the following fascinating bit of information.

I have a buddy that worked a long time with the History Channel dating back to when it was primarily using the Greystone production company (Now defunct as far as I know). Anyhow he got to know a great deal of reenactors across the country as they shot various shows like “Civil War Combat” or “Tales of the Gun”. So, when he see’s the guy in the Yankee Artilleryman’s hat selling his Hotchkiss cannon on “Pawn Stars” he exclaims, “Hey, I know that guy from when we filmed whatever. I still have his phone number.” and he gives him a call.

The phone call was VERY interesting. According to my buddy the fellow selling the Hotchkiss cannon was contacted by the production company that does “Pawn Stars” and paid to drag his gun in (actually two guns, watch the episode and you see the wheels of a tarpped gun in the background) and later to shoot it. At no time did he actually try to pawn or sell his cannon. It was a paid gig and acting performance for the show.

So, how much of those items coming in are actually pawn items and a real discussion? I have nary a clue. I just have good reason to suspect that one wasn’t. However, the gun was real. I am just speaking to the act of pawning and the manner in which they present how they shoot the antique weapons.

It’s a very well done show and entertaining, just take a huge grain of salt when watching.

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

They had this guy walked in with a Tower pistol, got all excited cause they thought it was authentic. The 'expert' had to tell him it was an India copy, like Loyalist or Middlesex sell.

Outside the store the guy was pissed, thought he was gonna fling the pistol to the cement.

They had this guy walked in with a Tower pistol, got all excited cause they thought it was authentic. The 'expert' had to tell him it was an India copy, like Loyalist or Middlesex sell.

Outside the store the guy was pissed, thought he was gonna fling the pistol to the cement.

Nope...That wasn't even that good quality... I knew that gun the minute he set it down on the counter....It was one of those worthless Japenese Tower pistols from the seventies we've seen on these forums before. It was funny how mad he was that he'd been screwed by an "Antique Dealer".I think he said he'd paid $750 for it and his wife told him he was an idiot.....Here's yer sign( I mean the guy who owned the gun)

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

remember reality TV shows are anything but. I am sure there is more testing behind the scenes that we dont see on tv. Maybe not, but at this point they are valuable "actors" and I doubt they would let them fire something on camera that hasnt been checked out.

They may want to appear badass our fearless on TV.

thatworks.shop

I say we plan a raid on the pawn shop.... all show up armed and ask the guys to point out the real guns... you know...put 'em on the spot as it were.

funny show by the way

Good Idea That,McMac.....Maybe they'll drop some duckets just ta have us show up enmass...I got the time if they got the dime....I want that coachgun...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone catch the treasure chest episode? Had a hole shot in it. Wow that was awesome. I will own one like that one day. For sure!

I also saw a neat episode of "Mail Call" where they did the hostory of the shotgun. Neat episode.

I have a pirate buddy in Vegas that I called and he is going to make a trip and take pics next week to see the real story on that place.

thatworks.shop

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a pretty entertaining show, I used to watch it before we cancelled the cable. I also remember a guy bring in a blunderbuss... so of coarse they went out and shot it! It was so funny cause it didn't work the first time.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.