Loyalist Arms shoes

Captain McCool

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, or if there's already another thread about this somewhere. I'm still trying to get my bearings.

So, I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of the Loyalist Arms GAoP shoes, and I wanted to get opinions from folks who have them or who have seen them. I'm curious to know how they fit, how they hold up to abuse, and generally how they look when worn. I've only seen a couple of pictures of people wearing them, and from what I've seen I really like them.

From a thread I perused over on the Pirate Brethren forums, I understand that the fitting can be kinda' tricky. Has anyone here had this problem?

Also, I'm undecided on whether to get them in black or natural tan, and whether to get the early or late period style.

Personally, I like the late period latchet better, but I'm afraid it might be too specificly late. Would this be passable for earlier period too? As in 1690ish to 1705ish? And as for the color and texture, black smooth is sort of a classic look, but I understand rough-out was a common style at the time, and the tan looks really good from what I've seen. I'm ever-so conflicted.

I really want to be sure I'm buying a good product that fits and holds up well, and also matches the look I want. Especially since they'll set me back around $150, and that's a lot of money for me at my present juncture.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! And pictures too, if you have them!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I ordered a pair of these shoes. They got the measurements off so badly that my foot physically would not go in the throat of the shoe. So, while I have gotten a pair they were never worn. From what I had in my hands the shoes are a superb replica, but suffer from soles so thick that they will not bend readily with your foot. (A typical issue with another kind of shoe, 19th century brogan replicas if you do US Civil War reenacting) So, while the shoe is a spot on replica, IMO the soles can be an issue. This may or may not be an issue for other people. Plenty of folks can wear shoes with soles like this and have nary a problem.

I have mobility problems on uneven surfaces, I must have a shoe with a sole that will readily flex, ergo I needed to return the shoe even if the size had been right.

Loyalist customer service was excellent and they offered me the option of having a new pair made or getting a refund. I took them up on the refund and it was promptly made, after the shoes were returned.

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I am beginning to think only Maddogge has had any success with these shoes. Jack Roberts still can't get the right size, he's tried three times. Mr. March's heels fell off three hours after getting them wet. Mary Diamond's pair, I think the heels are falling off as well, although, to be fair, she has put some wear into hers.

Loyalist keeps trying and seems to be very good about hoping to satisfy the customer, but I think tis time they found a new cobbler.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Damn. I'm quite sorry to hear it. I know of no other shoe that's as affordable and looks as good as theirs.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Wow! I actually got the search function to work for me! I dug this up from the theives market forum:

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=12442&st=0

If this is the right thread, you can see the entire evolution of the development, ordering, delivery, and problems/satisfaction issues here.

Bo

I can back up Sterling's claims. I've gone through 3 pairs and each one had the same problem. I could not get the balls of my feet through the opening. After trying for 2 years with 3 pairs I've given up and sold them off. After hearing about Mr. March's and seeing Mistress Diamond shoes, I agree with the good Capt'n. They need a different cobbler.

As a side note my Fugawee Condords are slightly uncomfortable but have held up through 2 PiP's and lasted 3 years and still are ticking.

If you want straight-last, my Ligioners from Fugawee are coming up on seven years strong, I used to tie them after cutting down the latchets, then made/installed new latchets for some GoF buckles. Fugawee does make good shoes with great customer service, just not exactly correct for the period. If you can find a good pair of square-toed harness boots in black or brown that don't have bright orange or yellow rubber on the heel pads, they make a good looking conversion too with a bit of work. Plenty of leather in the uppers to work with making longer tounges and latchets. Wal-Mart (ugh) was selling kids sizes in black before Christmas, but nothing in mens. Just some options.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

i ended up with a pair from a fella who suffered the gout after ordering them and couldn't get them on his feet. According to the size, they are one too big for me but they are a perfect fit for my odd feet. the down side is they look HUGE.

If you want straight-last, my Ligioners from Fugawee are coming up on seven years strong, I used to tie them after cutting down the latchets, then made/installed new latchets for some GoF buckles. Fugawee does make good shoes with great customer service...

Bo

I also whole heartedly endorse Fugawee. A very good quality shoe for the price, and top rate customer service to boot.

Note to file- They are made in Mexico.

http://www.fugawee.com/

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I would also highly recommend reading the discussion thread Bo posted above...

Saying that, I own two pairs of these shoes, but I ordered neither of them from Loyalist Arms. One pair I bought from someone who they were a tad too small for, the other I bought from a person selling shoes that had been returned to Loyalist because they were too small (not sure if it was someone working for Loyalist or a friend thereof).

Both pairs I have are sturdy and have served me well for a whole year of hard wear at a lot of events. My only complaint is the heels are very hard and jarred my ankles if I wore them too long, but a good set of heel cushions has solved this problem. I haven't had any problems with the heels coming loose on mine like it sounds like a few other people had problems with... And I am very hard on footwear.

As another option, I haven't heard any feedback on them yet, but the "Practical Goose" is selling similar shoes (the toes aren't quite as square though). The shoes are also NOT on the Practical Goose web site, so you have to call them about getting them or getting pictures. Failing that, Fugawees and Jarnigans both seem to have good long standing reputations.

Michael_banner.jpg

Hey Mickey, just a thought, how much have you had your shoes soaked, as in working awhile in water above yer ankles? I am beginning to wonder if their glue is an issue...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Hey Mickey, just a thought, how much have you had your shoes soaked, as in working awhile in water above yer ankles? I am beginning to wonder if their glue is an issue...

Both have been wet. My tan pair more from tromping through puddles and muddy conditions, the black pair, I have actually stood in shallow water with while helping get Firefly into or out of the water (although I usually use my Mary Diamond shoes for that task when I have the foresight to prepare for it). So while neither pair has been in water much, both have been exposed to it, more so the black pair more than the tan pair... And the black pair is in better condition....

Michael_banner.jpg

Hmmmm

Crewe of the Archangel

ok...i bought both the early smooth brown...and the late smooth black....

ordered at the same time(couldnt decide on which pair)((and seemed like everyone else was gettin rough out brown).....\

got brown pair in 3 monthes...got second pair nine monthes later....(ask Mickey what i think happened to em...hes the only one who knows whats it like to walk in MY shoes.. :blink: )

i have a high arch...and had trouble with both pair tryin to get my foot into em...had to slice the sides of the tongue a bit....

brown pair a little pinchy...they seemed to miss where the ball of my fooot went(or my measurin)...

black pair fit better...not as pinchy

both soles are unforgiving...especially worn all day for a week(PiP)...but nothin you caint learn to live with or use insoles...i use the heel insoles...other wise my arch (top) wont fit again

when measuring your foot....IMPORTANT

1. wear BIG SOCKS

2.placement of ball of foot

3. use a cut out as well

4.measure while standing up(foot will be bigger

otherwise...i like the shoes

tis hell bein fashionable...tis hell :blink:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

If you want straight-last, my Ligioners from Fugawee are coming up on seven years strong, I used to tie them after cutting down the latchets, then made/installed new latchets for some GoF buckles. Fugawee does make good shoes with great customer service...

Bo

I also whole heartedly endorse Fugawee. A very good quality shoe for the price, and top rate customer service to boot.

Note to file- They are made in Mexico.

http://www.fugawee.com/

I too would say the Fugawee brand of shoes are top notch. I have a pair of the Loyalist and have yet to have a problem with them.....a bit snug, and I have gotten them wet marching through puddles but never had them immersed for long periods of time. I will say this for them....they are a heavy shoe. Mine are the early smooth brown.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

P9092300.jpg

P9092301.jpg

dogge.jpg

brown SMOOTH early shoe

Aye! And Ye does Sir, Ye does, sez I. It be in plainness that Ye spares not from yer purse whence Ye be fittin out yer dunnage. Aye, sez Ye! Fer to look as sech one must spare not! Not a ha'pence to a guilder, no sez I, Ye be of great means of such like, sez Ye. Aye, but as none cuts as fine a figur as Ye, Shipmate. If'n Ye minds yer appearance as wit' good drink or grub, Ye must pay the piper fer any sech dance, sez I to Ye and done!

Thanks everybody for the feedback! And thanks, M.A.d'Dogge for the photos!

I read along with the development of the shoes over on the Pirate Brethren forum, and was ultimately pretty impressed with what I heard. However, this does make me very wary of purchasing a pair.

Still, I doubt I'll ever be entirely submerging them, and it sounds like everyone who has had a problem with them coming apart has used them a lot more than I likely will. I can be pretty hard on my footwear, but I don't work the ren faire anymore, and I have a lot less time nowadays to go a-pirating than I used to.

And the pictures are so damn tempting...

Hell, this will need much further consideration.

Hey, M.A.d'Dogge, do you have any photos of the black ones?

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Not the best picture, but these are the black/rough out shoes (don;t remember if they are the late or early).

effingwithMD002.jpg

Is that a picture of "Sole Food"?

I dunno... the more I think about it the more tempted I am to just go to Target and grab a pair of square-toe harness boots for $50, then cut them up, add fake latchets, throw on a GoF buckle, and call it good.

Thoughts?

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Not the best picture, but these are the black/rough out shoes (don;t remember if they are the late or early).

effingwithMD002.jpg

Is that a picture of "Sole Food"?

pretty sure that was a JAB at me.....i hate OATS...and his Soles were made for MY shoes!!...jack-arse...i'll get ya...i will...i'll getch ya :D

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg