Make your Authentic Pirate Flag: WOOL BUNTING

We all have in our heads what a pirate flag is... and a lot of times its a concotion of our own fantasies blended with what Hollywood has told us.

This is not meant to be a treatise on Pirate Flags, but as an opportunity to try and get as close to "authentic" pirate flags as we can.

Fox has done some interesting work in the field of pirate flags, you can check it out a the Pirate Mythtory Flag Page

Not all pirate flags were black, it seems that in the begging, most were RED. But I am digressing and I swore not to do that.

My speculation is that there was not a Pirate Flag Store in Tortuga. Pirates probably fashioned a flag from the flags that were already on board the ship. Ships carried all kinds of flags to signal each other or to wear a nations colors. Logically then (at least to me) other flags would be cannibalized to make a pirate flag.

There are already some great threads here at the pub about Pirate flags, so I will direct you there

Pirate Flag Construction

Pirate Flag Size

Back in my Halcyon days of pirate Re-enacting, I thought it would be cool to have an authentically made pirate flag for display purposes. The tricky wicket of course is where to get 1x2 ply Wool Flag bunting. I contacted some wool manufacturers but the set up cost and sheer number of yards and colors that needed to be order put the project out of reach.

Then, at a military antiques market, I thought I found my answer.

In a box were some WW2, possibly pre-ww2 wool flags. They were signal flags, in Naval Alphabet Letters.

My idea was to do what I thought Pirates did... cannibalize the flags to make a pirate flag.

As one of the flags was already damaged, it provided enough inspiration to buy the boxed lot.

Each of the flags is made from a series of panels, which I am sure "original GAOP" flags were constructed. I can't remember what the size of wool bunting panels was for the GAOP, but remember reading something about naval flags from the latter part of the 18th century and I believe they were about 20"(?)

For all practical reasons, I am out of the pirate game. If you want to pick up where I left off, you are more than welcome.

I have 5 flags and one is already partially disassembled. All are approximately 7 Feet x 6 Feet

First is the letter "F"

%23Flag-F1.jpg

Second is the Letter "X"

%23Flag-X.jpg

Next is the Letter "G" I have two of these, only one is pictured

%23Flag-G-1.jpg

Lastly, is the partially disassembled letter "F" the red square is 4.5' x 4.5'

%23Flag-F2.jpg

These flags were about $75 each... i got a little better deal buying them all.

I'll let them go for $200 Shipped and Paypal'd

I would imagine that as WW2 flags, they are probably worth more than what I am asking, so I'll probably list them on eBay if I don't get a sale here.

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!