So we're talking May 14,15 and 16 2010???

Rats

I talked with Linda Ketcham a little about the event. She confirmed that we can put people up in the visitor center if we run out of room on the ship.

It would be silly to say that people can't sleep in the park since several homeless people sleep there nightly but I would not recommend it.

Mark

Thanks for that clarification Mark!

One further question about this, I know at least one person who has not come in the past due to the need for a CPAP (device for sleep apnea). With the use of the "Boat house", will we be better able to accommodate this? This could help immensely! I know there is electricity on the ship, but I have always been unaware of if and where there are any electric outlets. Perhaps this has been a big oversight on my part in the past. :unsure:

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

One further question about this, I know at least one person who has not come in the past due to the need for a CPAP (device for sleep apnea). With the use of the "Boat house", will we be better able to accommodate this? This could help immensely! I know there is electricity on the ship, but I have always been unaware of if and where there are any electric outlets. Perhaps this has been a big oversight on my part in the past. :unsure:

There are a few outlets scattered around. The one in the cabin is under the bunk along with with extension cords. I think that there are some more heavy duty extension cords in one of the chests on the main deck. The main electrical panel is in the store room in the back (stern) of the hold. There are more outlets there and one at the very front (bow) of the hold.

BTW, uprigging is the weekend of March 20-21 in anyone wants to help. I always miss it because it conflicts with MTA.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just wanted to give a shout out to see who is still thinking of coming? I've been putting together a list for organizational sake (which I will not post ;) )...

So far from the Pyracy Pub I have the following people considering coming.

The locals

Mark G

Jennie G

michaelsbagley

Kate_Souris

ProfessorDeath (and his little Pew, not to be confused with the Pew from the pub)

Ben Fidley

From further out

Rats

Callenish Gunner

Salty Pots

Diosa (pending the circumstances we spoke about at Searles Raid).

Silas Thatcher

Connie Thatcher

An as yet unknown amount of Thatcherlings, and perhaps an otter as well ;)

Mission

DaveyDogCrusher

M.A.d'Dogge

Cheeky

Sterling

Gentleman Scotty (and his Kate)

Tartan_Jack

Are there names that should be added or removed from the above list (I've added all the names of those who posted interest in this discussion topic)?

While I won't divulge all the names on the list, I will say that there is just under 50 potentials, which considering the usual 30% to 40% attrition rate, should leave us at the usual 30 to 35 participants.

Michael_banner.jpg

michael and mark, any talk of possibly getting another porta potty cleaning on saturday day ??

i'm gonna stick to my guns on this one... i really think another cleaning is necessary on saturday...

How about this, if Linda is unable to (because of available ship funds, or city committee red tape, or whatever), I will look into either...

A. Seeing how much it will cost to have it done, and if not unreasonable, pay for it out of my own pocket as a contribution to the event.

or

B. Look into renting a second porta-potty strictly for re-enactor use. Renting an extra potty is just over $100 (probably about $115 +/-) which is within my means. This will of course depend on any city restrictions regarding the matter.

Fair enough?

Michael_banner.jpg

if linda can't make it happen for whatever reasons, then maybe a donation from people would be the next possible venue to get it under control...

there probably will be a bunch of redtape she has to go through to get it done and even then, it may not happen...i'd be willing to chip in to help this happen... it may even come all the way down to 5$ a person for this...

small fee for what we get out of the weekend !!

Edited by silas thatcher

Okay, just wanted to give a shout out to see who is still thinking of coming? I've been putting together a list for organizational sake (which I will not post ;) )...

So far from the Pyracy Pub I have the following people considering coming.

The locals

Mark G

Jennie G

michaelsbagley

Kate_Souris

ProfessorDeath

Ben Fidley

From further out

Rats

Callenish Gunner

Salty Pots

Silas Thatcher

Connie Thatcher

Mission

DaveyDogCrusher

M.A.d'Dogge

Cheeky

Sterling

Are there names that should be added or removed from the above list (I've added all the names of those who posted interest in this discussion topic)?

While I won't divulge all the names on the list, I will say that there is just under 50 potentials, which considering the usual 30% to 40% attrition rate, should leave us at the usual 30 to 35 participants.

A sorority will be coming through Friday evening. They are doing a Treasure Island theme and Linda would appreciate having a few pirates around for them to talk to.

I will ask her about an extra portolet cleaning.

Mark

]A sorority will be coming through Friday evening.[/quote]

A Sorrority!!!!! Oh boy!

Professor Death and Pew will be there, god willin' and the jalopy still sputters on. Wouldn't miss it! He still talks about "pirate shipp" from halloween. biggrin.gif

Alright, but I'll kill anyone who gets in the way of me killing anyone!

let me break it down for ya:

The locals

Mark G

Jennie G

michaelsbagley

Kate_Souris

ProfessorDeath

Ben Fidley

From further out

Rats

Callenish Gunner

Salty Pots

Silas Thatcher

Connie Thatcher

Mission

DaveyDogCrusher

M.A.d'Dogge

Cheeky

Sterling

Tartan Jack

I'm planning on coming . . .

Gotta request off and figure out lodging/food. Can I "join-up" w/ a group's food plan?

I'll have "real" shoes by then, too.

It should only be a 500 miles and 9 hours or so drive up I-77 or I-23. That's doable in a day.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I'm planning on coming . . .

Gotta request off and figure out lodging/food. Can I "join-up" w/ a group's food plan?

I'll have "real" shoes by then, too.

It should only be a 500 miles and 9 hours or so drive up I-77 or I-23. That's doable in a day.

Hey Tartan Jack,

I sent you a private message answering your questions. Got you added to the list of those trying to make it! Food is generally pot-luck/pitch-in, and to date we have not run short of food, so as long as everyone continues to contribute, that should continue to go well!

Michael_banner.jpg

michael summed it up pretty well... everyone usually brings food to eat and share... same with drinks of any kind... it works out fairly well...

everyone contributes a little of everything, loan to those who don't have and so far everything has worked out great with that system...

callenish brought some killer meat pies, others brought a ham, a bag of oranges, apples, bread, cookies, dip of some kind, cheese, crackers, jennie gist made some killer dinners... you get the idea !!

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, Jennie and I met with Linda (the director of the Santa Maria) during the "Official" opening of the ship yesterday (the ship has been open a week or two now).

Few more new details...

For Friday night, those who wish, have been invited up to amuse/interact and entertain (mostly through photo opportunities) a reunion of a sorority. It'll be a mixed group of mostly more mature members of the sorority (sorry guys, there will be no current sorority members). We will need to aim to be at the conference hall for the "Treasure Island" themed reunion party at about 7:30, it is about a half hour drive from the ship. Someone will remain on the ship to welcome those who will be showing up after that. We should only be gone a couple of hours (or less).

A local Sea Shanty band, The Hard Tackers will be performing at either the Sorority reunion Friday evening, OR at the ship during the day at some point during the weekend (or if we are lucky both). They have a MySpace page if you wish to check them out some more. (I've heard they have a Facebook page as well, but wasn't able to find that, but I did find the "John Schomburg" Facebook Fan page, and he is one of the main member of the Hard Tackers).

We have also talked Linda into having the ship open from 11:00 AM until 6:00 PM during this weekend (normal spring hours are only 12:0noon, until 5:00 PM), so we have more time to interact with the public.

We are also looking at doing the auction a little differently this time. With the fees and such that eBay are charging, we are thinking of auctioning some of the items off at the ship (those that can't be shipped, or are too expensive to ship, and the smaller items), only using eBay for items we know have broader appeal and can be shipped more easily. We are hoping this will help get the money we are raising through the auction to the ship rather than lining the pockets of eBay Inc. So, please bring your pocket books, and have them stuffed with cash, as there will be some great items in the auction.

I'm sure I am forgetting something(s), so either Mark will add more to this, or I'll post again in the next day or two when I remember them.

There will also be some updates to the participants web site in the next few days or so, mostly about safety guidelines and stuff.

Michael_banner.jpg

]A sorority will be coming through Friday evening.[/quote]

A Sorrority!!!!! Oh boy!

Professor Death and Pew will be there, god willin' and the jalopy still sputters on. Wouldn't miss it! He still talks about "pirate shipp" from halloween. biggrin.gif

This will be a sorority reunion. Expect mature women.

Mark

Edited by MarkG

Mark, Jennie and I met with Linda (the director of the Santa Maria) during the "Official" opening of the ship yesterday (the ship has been open a week or two now).

Few more new details...

For Friday night, those who wish, have been invited up to amuse/interact and entertain (mostly through photo opportunities) a reunion of a sorority. It'll be a mixed group of mostly more mature members of the sorority (sorry guys, there will be no current sorority members). We will need to aim to be at the conference hall for the "Treasure Island" themed reunion party at about 7:30, it is about a half hour drive from the ship. Someone will remain on the ship to welcome those who will be showing up after that. We should only be gone a couple of hours (or less).

A local Sea Shanty band, The Hard Tackers will be performing at either the Sorority reunion Friday evening, OR at the ship during the day at some point during the weekend (or if we are lucky both). They have a MySpace page if you wish to check them out some more. (I've heard they have a Facebook page as well, but wasn't able to find that, but I did find the "John Schomburg" Facebook Fan page, and he is one of the main member of the Hard Tackers).

We have also talked Linda into having the ship open from 11:00 AM until 6:00 PM during this weekend (normal spring hours are only 12:0noon, until 5:00 PM), so we have more time to interact with the public.

We are also looking at doing the auction a little differently this time. With the fees and such that eBay are charging, we are thinking of auctioning some of the items off at the ship (those that can't be shipped, or are too expensive to ship, and the smaller items), only using eBay for items we know have broader appeal and can be shipped more easily. We are hoping this will help get the money we are raising through the auction to the ship rather than lining the pockets of eBay Inc. So, please bring your pocket books, and have them stuffed with cash, as there will be some great items in the auction.

I'm sure I am forgetting something(s), so either Mark will add more to this, or I'll post again in the next day or two when I remember them.

There will also be some updates to the participants web site in the next few days or so, mostly about safety guidelines and stuff.

There will be a race going on Saturday morning. This will block access to the ship from most sides. The link shows the race route. The ship is just to the let of the "S". People will need to plan on arriving Friday night or approaching downtown from the west and parking across the river at Veteran's Memorial.

Mark

Ah, Journal fodder. I must try and be there for some of this.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

A race?! to escape the pirates, i assume. i say we heave to and give chase in marks rowboat and the canoe, and fire the swivel at em and so forth for awhile, til they outpace us, which i'm sure they will......

mature sorrority girls/women are ok too, i'm an equal opportunity plunderer, who does not discriminate on reasonable basises of age, race, language, or religion, or national origin. "come heah, wench!"

as long as they don't act like the wedding party didmad.gif , i'm up for socializing with whoever.

are we still going to board em this time? if so i can make up some fake gold and silver bars for us to loot.....biggrin.gif

Alright, but I'll kill anyone who gets in the way of me killing anyone!

let me break it down for ya:

There will be a race going on Saturday morning. This will block access to the ship from most sides. The link shows the race route. The ship is just to the let of the "S". People will need to plan on arriving Friday night or approaching downtown from the west and parking across the river at Veteran's Memorial.

Mark

Further information - The ship has parking passes for Veteran's Memorial.

Mark

We need to have a goat for this event. They did keep live animals on voyages.

Looks like Priceline put me at the Hyatt for $50 a night. I wonder if they have somewhere to keep a goat in the Hyatt?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Goats? Sheep? I somehow think that as amusing as some of the stories could be from including livestock in the mix would be... I don't see it happening... Unless we find a petting zoo willing to bring a small exhibit... :unsure:

On another note, and please keep in mind this information is not complete and will likely have a lot more added to it, I have started updating the "Battle Safety" web page. There is nothing there that is too out of the normal, but we are going to handle the boarding action a little differently. All the black powder stuff is the usual fare (although more needs to be added for completion).

Also, if there are any additions anyone can think of, please let me know as work is killing me lately, and my mind isn't on this so any nudges or reminders would help. Any questions or wording you think needs to be cleaned up would be most welcome as well!

Michael_banner.jpg

Goats? Sheep? I somehow think that as amusing as some of the stories could be from including livestock in the mix would be... I don't see it happening... Unless we find a petting zoo willing to bring a small exhibit... :unsure:

On another note, and please keep in mind this information is not complete and will likely have a lot more added to it, I have started updating the "Battle Safety" web page. There is nothing there that is too out of the normal, but we are going to handle the boarding action a little differently. All the black powder stuff is the usual fare (although more needs to be added for completion).

Also, if there are any additions anyone can think of, please let me know as work is killing me lately, and my mind isn't on this so any nudges or reminders would help. Any questions or wording you think needs to be cleaned up would be most welcome as well!

We have gotten the Columbus Zoo to bring animals down to the ship for special occasions. We have had pygmy goats under the forecastle. I don't think that they would care for a pirate event. Some of their animals don't get along with gunfire.

Animals were common on long voyages - pigs and goats for fresh meat, hens for fresh eggs and more fresh meat.

Mark