Society for the Unwanted

Matty Bottles

Has anyone had experience putting together a festival here? Just curious... I know that the ones we have done have required permits from municipalities to discharge weapons, etc. And the ones on private lands still require a fair amount of liability insurance to protect the organizers from lawsuits should something go awry. As said above, it's a sue happy world. And then there are issues relating to sanitation, hygiene, an umbrella organization to collect monies (as there are always costs involved) and pay the necessary taxes... From my experience it's a darned lot of work to create anything on a formal, larger scale than a local crewe party. Just ask Julie at PiP...

I certainly would welcome such an event, just want to make sure that there's some grounding in the realities of putting on these types of events on any level but a friendly gathering in the woods for a weekend.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I don't know if a festival per se is the goal of this thread....I don't know if there even is a goal. I think if we were to start an organization, maybe an informal network (which we already have, so maybe this is moot) the festival or event will follow. It just might start with meeting each other at existing events, or making small, local meetings. And there's nothing wrong with kids. But there are existing organizations that let them hang around. Nothing here will preclude the members from participating in these other events or organizations. I wouldn't want to be part of an organization so exclusive. But I think there is room for an organization for legal adults only - and I'm not thinking of anything kinky. I just don't feel comfortable getting rude and drunk in front of kids.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

bah!! if i been livin on the ports of New Orleans most of me life....i think i have seen it all. ::wink wink:: also with the friends i have. :ph34r:

Spoken like a true teenager. Face it no matter what you think you've seen or done with your friends your still just a pup. If you get caught doing something wrong chances are the police will just send you back home to mommy. While a true adult faces fines and jail time. Something I don't want to do for you or anyone underage. This thread started off as away for the real adults to get together and have fun without kids. And face it New Orleans or not your still just a kid. So take your time and grow-up, enjoy it while you can, because before you know it you'll have to live in the real world. And once you get into the real world you'll find out just how much you don't know and just how many people just don't care one fat rats ass about you and what you do or don't know. When you've lived on your own, paid your own bills, fed and clothed yourself and worked a real job not just something for some spending cash during the summer, then maybe you might be considered an adult. But I tell you now after reading some of your comments you've got a long way to go. So enjoy being sixteen it's a great time of life, nothing wrong with it, it can be one of the best times of your life, and should be. Just don't go spouting off on how grown up you are cause it just shows how grown up your not.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

I think this organization be a grand idea, Bloody Jack!

Incidentally, someone mentioned New Orleans: if any pirate is going to be in New Orleans on Sunday, February 22, be sure to stop by the home port of the Pyrate Queen and Capt. William! We're right on the parate route for several parades that day and are throwing a pirate party; nothing formal, just some rum and grub and you can watch the parades that pass by right on my street; they actually make the house shake when they go by!

Let me know if you're interested and I'll post more info!

:ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

The idea of rotating locations has worked with other events - one one coast one year, the other coast the next and then somewhere in between - in the landlock dry waters of the central Americas. But a question - if the event is adults only, then I would assume the public wouldn't be invited to participate as it would be hard to regulate it. So that means a more private type event, correct?

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

This type of gathering seems oddly familiar to me.

When I lived in Alpine, Texas, we'd travel to a little known destination on the Rio Grande to a town called Terlinqua. A rather large (25-35) group of us would just have a spontaneous party under the stars on the banks of the river, camp a night or two (there wasn't much sleeping) and then pack it up and head for home by Sunday afternoon. Mostly it was a gathering of the river rats (whitewater rafting guides) and other surly types. Great fun. No permit was required because at the time it was still, really, the wide open spaces and belonged to no one beyond the State of Texas, or Old Mexico if you waded across the river. Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend National Park was a perfect spot for leaving the shores of the US and wandering into the dusty village of Santa Elena, Mexico. Of course, getting arrested there would have been bad news.

Not too far from there was a road called 18 Mile Road (near Study Butte). It was nothing but 18 miles of really bad, rough road. If you could manage to get your vehicle to the end of it, you found yourself as far removed from civilizaton as you'd care to get. At night, the sky lit up so much that you could actually SEE the milkyness of the milkyway, especially on a moonless night. Wolves and coyotes would howl relentlessly. There was often so much noise during the night from the animals it was difficult to sleep. Rattlesnakes, tarantulas, scorpions, jackrabbits, deer... all manner of creatures. This was amazing rolling hills/desert area, a truly spectacular stretch of absolute wide open space. I'll never forget this place as long as I live. TEXAS!!!

And then there were the Marfa Lights. I'll save that for another time, though.

In Colorado, up in the mountains, we call them 'woodsies' and it's basically the same kind of thing. Great fun, a little colder (even in summer), and one must be carefull with fire burning. Permit is required in Colorado as there is absolutely no land around that isn't either private or under the purvue of the BLM.

So the optimum gathering spot, really, would be on the shore of a rather large lake (just for a water feature) or on private land somewhere so that no officers or park rangers would appear when the bonfires were raging.

Wow, I'm in the mood to roam now! Can't wait for summer!!!!!!!

(It was at one such gathering in Terlingua, at THE CHILI COOKOFF, that I met a man who claimed to be Jesus Christ. Of course, I didn't believe him, especially after he kept stating how much he wanted to "save" me and then played The Beatles' Lady Madonna on his banjo. But he did LOOK like the popular version of Jesus, long dark hair and a beard. So.... one must exercise some caution when in the wilderness :D )

I certainly can't understand where you're coming from. Why all the vehement talk about youth? Have a problem growing older or are you a kid hater? We are all guilty of exuberance in our younger days and we all thought we were more adult than we were. So jump off the soapbox lecturing someone about something we all did as teenagers, and that's act is bigshots. I don't see the point of jumping down someone's throat, particularly when they will be the future pirates who keep the interest going long after we're all dead.

And there are plenty of adults who still live with their mommys and can't seem to make their own way in the world. What's the difference, huh?

Why not just stick to the darned topic here?

Where to start... If you can't understand where I'm coming from than maybe you've never had teenagers of your own especialy step children teenagers. Well I have three, and if they treated you and their mother like mine have maybe you'ld have a better undestanding for why boasting about their age knowlodge and rights can be so damned annoying. As for growing older we all do it and at sometime or another we don't like it, fact of life. As for being a kid hater that's a little tougher. I 've known some kids I'ld do anything I possibly could for. There have been others I'm indeferent about. And yes there are children I just can't stand. But it is the same with adults, some you'll like some you won't and some you wouldn't cross the street to piss on if they were on fire. And don't tell me you don't know people like that! With this post I just might qualify for that position on your list. As for exuberance and my younger days and what I may or may not have done, that gives me some rights to a soapbox about what to or what not to do from experiance. And no matter what age I was I never could stand a braggart and I never will. Sometimes jumping down someones throat may save them alot o trouble down the road. Maybe you don't read the papers or watch the news but there are alot of people out there who'll do alot more than jump down your throat if you go pushing yourself on them. Pessimistic maybe realalistic deffinately. When I worked in D.C. there was a guy who shot and killed another guy he didn't even know or even had talked to simply because he didn't like the way the other guy looked at him. He said quite coolly that the guy he shot was direspecting him by the way he was looking at him. And the list goes on. So if my lecture and soapboxing give some kid a chance to pause and consider what they say or do and keeps them from getting hurt or worse than am I a kid hater? AS for adults who still live with mommy and can't make their own way then they shouldn't brag about what they know or did either. And finally as for sticking to the topic I was, this thread was for ideas on how the adults on this site might get together sans kids, not for said kids to start butting in where they don't need to be, and declairing how old and mature they are. I for one would not be comfortable or even invited to something they might plan why should they demand or expect to be included in something that does not have anything to do with them? I hope I've covered everthing for you. The soapbox is now free for the taking.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSNORTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZMMMMMZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYAWNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ******WHA....HUH??? WHAT I MISS? ADULT WHA? ******YAWN!.zzzz huh?zzzzzzZZZZzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

zzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

zzzzzzZZZZZZ,

Black Jack Shalaq :wub:

victors%20spoils.jpg

YER ANKLES WILL LOOK LOVELY BEHIND YER EARS LASSIE! HAR! HAR! HAR!

So I wonder... who would operate and run this adventure? I mean, even with a small weekend, there's always operating costs (advertising, permits, privvies) and they have to be captured and reported by someone or something. The real pirates (spelled IRS) always want a piece of the action.

Not to be a spoil sport, but I've run these things before and someone always seems to point them in my direction (he says, with a slight paranoid twinge in his rum-soaked brain). They always seem to be a good idea until one delves deeper.

And another take, isn't it the Society of the Wanted? Who didn't "want" pirates? Even the Lost Boys wanted to kill 'em. :ph34r:

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny