Society for the Unwanted

Matty Bottles

As noted in the "Ren-faire Vs. Re-enactment" thread, the idea of an adult-oriented, neither exclusively fantastic or exclusively historical and pirate-specific organization tailored to the expectations of the members of this site has been suggested, and seemed to garner at least some small element of support. The name "The Society for the Unwanted" has been suggested. I think it's grand name.

So, I guess this is a thread were we can see who's interested, what we expect, how to organize and then see if the dang thing will even work.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Why not? I'd be interested in joining. :ph34r:

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

, the idea of an adult-oriented, neither exclusively fantastic or exclusively historical and pirate-specific

Are you saying you are having adult fantasies about pirates and history?

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

*shifts eyes guiltily from side to side*

Um....

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I think it's a good idea, but there doeesn't seem to be huge amount of interest. And those few being scattered all over the country doesn't help. Anyone else? Any ideas on how to make a go of this?

Hawkyns

:unsure:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I would agree with Hawkyns.

Many of us already have crewes to deal with locally, others are more interested in historical pursuits, while others are doing re-enactments or faires at the local or regional level. It would just be one more layer of organization for our crewe.

But for those who are freebooters, it may be a great idea. But there would have to be some local chapter level of organization to create critical mass. It's the geography issue, as Hawkyns said. There's not much to be done as a group when you're spread all about.

Plus, you may end up battling established local crewes in many parts for members - I know Washington State has five standing groups to join already... Florida and California have a couple... the list goes on.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

It's not a bad idea. I think every era of interest has those who would love a 'perfect place' to play. The only real trouble is having the appropriate land to play on.

Hawkyns, you might inquire about some of the Boston harbour islands, or any of the Islands in the Bay State area, as to whether they might be played upon.

The only problem with an 'all pirate' venue is there is no backdrop of support personel - the ideal would be to combine a waterfront colonial 'playground', with pirates.

*shifts eyes guiltily from side to side*

Um....

There's one in every family, guess that's why most of us are here...

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

It's nice to see some more traffic on the thread...

I don't see that this has to particularly compete with any other pirate organization, and I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with existing organizations. The difference, I guess, would be this is for adults. And it's not that I don't like kids. But if I plan on going out into the woods and get good and irresponsible, well, I'd like to get good and irresponsible. And it's hard to get irresponsible in front of kids.

Now, the logistics would be a headache. I haven't thought much about that.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

But if I plan on going out into the woods and get good and irresponsible, well, I'd like to get good and irresponsible. And it's hard to get irresponsible in front of kids.

Sounds like my kind of party. Where do I sign up???

I'll bring my guns and the alcohol and the other explosives.

:unsure::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Well, if the law says yer a kid....

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Well, this organization doesn't even exist yet. It may take us two years to get it off the ground. Then you can come.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Well, this organization doesn't even exist yet. It may take us two years to get it off the ground. Then you can come.

Sounds like a plan.

Sounds like a great idea. This poor pirate is married with stepchildren and could and would go for a little(or alot) of debauchery san kids. So count me in.

To make-up for the whole distance problem maybe said event could move to different locations from year to year or thru out the year if it takes off. This could give more people the chance to participate at least once in a while if it comes to a town near them. Just make sure said town has the right facilities and attitude to handle a bunch of pirates, nothing can ruin a good debauching than haveing a bunch of blue lights showing up.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Nicely whimpered :)

Mayhaps what we needs isnt a bit o land. Mayhaps what we needs is a couple of ships, one on each coast......

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

We throw a Buccanners Beach Bash very year that is adult only. We take over a beach house in Galveston party all weekend and then start planning the next year. We always make sure there is room for those that want to bring a tent ect. Now it is no way a perfect backdrop but something may be worked out. We throw a BBQ that is for the families. Once a location is established the rest is easy. But it's location, location, location. Galvestons water isn't the prettiest. It's a huge sandbar so the water is kind of a green brown. But Crystal Beach on the Bolivar Penn. is not bad and you move further around the coast line and it clears up. I'm up for helping to organize and by all means when our dates are set for the next bash everyone is invited.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

:ph34r: Bah! Whose law say I be a kid? I'll be 16 in 15 days! If that don' make me grown, Nothin' does. :ph34r:

Unfortunately, under THIS country's law, it'll be 2 YEARS an' 16 days afore I'm full grown. If there was a slightly younger pirate gatherin' in which exactly the same events took place only you old salts didn' know about it....*nudge, nudge* :)

"Oh, never, never, never again,

If I live to be a hundred or a hundred and ten.

I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up

After drinking a pint of the Johnny Jump Up."

~"Johnny Jump Up" -Gaelic Storm

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

-Sigmund Freud (on the Irish)

Well, if the same events take place at a slightly younger pirate gathering, then slightly younger pirates will just have to organize it. I'm not trying to be rude, or be a jerk. I don't consider myself an old salt. I think I'm pretty darn young myself. But in this day and age if you get good and properly debauched in front of a legal minor, you'd best be prepared for serious legal action.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Unfortunately, under THIS country's law, it'll be 2 YEARS an' 16 days afore I'm full grown.

Now, there's no worries. Jack Madd said it could take two years to get it off the ground. That'll be just in time fer yer commin o' age. :ph34r:

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.