The old Disneyland Pirate Ship

Captain Tito

Yesterday I checked out bilgemunky.com and checked out one of the links. It linked me to an unofficial site of the POTC ride at Disneyland.

I checked out that site and when I was done, I linked again to a site called Yesteryear that talked about rides and attractions that are no longer functioning at Disneyland. I went to Disneyland once when I was a mere cabin boy of 14 back in 1982. (Been to Florida more often)

At that time Fantasyland was under total refurbishment, except for It's a Small World. On the Yesteryear site, it mentioned a restaurant that existed in Fantasyland up until this refurbishment, called the Pirate Ship. It was literally a Pirate Ship (I'm assuming, given where it was in the park, that it was Hook's from Peter Pan) and pictures showed people dining on the deck.

I cry it a shame that Disney threw it to the sharks when they re-did Fantasyland.

Is there anybody who went there when this restaurant still set sail?

Was it totally cool?

Was the food any good? :ph34r:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I first went to Disneyland in 1956, the year after it opened. The pirate ship was indeed Captain Hook's, but it wasn't a real ship and was permanently attached to the bottom of its cement "sea." In those days it was sponsored by Chicken of the Sea and the fare was, unsurprisingly, heavy on tuna. Pretty good tuna salad sandwiches, as I recall. Yes, it's a shame it's gone, along with the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit, made of the original sets and props right down to the giant squid, and the skyway cable cars, probably scrapped for fear of lawsuits should some fool jump. Went there a couple of years back and was saddened to see how much of the old Disneyland was gone.

She's gone now, Love, but I played on 'er, but never ate there more than once. It was sponsored by Chicken of the Sea tuna, and I didn't like tuna. Still ride the ship Columbia when I go; she's on a track. :blink:

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Used to live next to Disneyland when i was a young barnacle, I played often on the pirate ship, as it didn't take a ticket. And I loved their sandwiches!

Barbados Jack

**** When daylight fades, Darkness prevails****

** Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez **

" We sail within a vast sphere, Ever drifting in uncertainty, Driven from end to end"

- Pascal-

I remember the ship, it was fun to get a sandwich from the galley below deck and then eat and play above. There was also a "skull rock" with a waterfall in the "lagoon" that was very cool.

Last time I was at the Disneyland Hotel, the beach/pool area was in a Peter Pan theme, and there was a pirate ship there--or rather, the aft portion--for kids to play on. (I don't think it was the old restaurant structure, though.)

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

It is sad to hear that they have removed the ship. I went to Disneyland the first year it opened, of course I don't remember much of that first visit since I was only one. Since that time I have lost count of the number of times I spent the day in the magic kingdom. The summer I turned 17 I was there at least three times a week(it was a great place to meet girls.)

Someone mentioned Skull Rock. Did ya know that was a security office?

I rode the Pirates of the Caribean ride the first week it opened, five times that day. After that, that was the first place I went when I got to Disneyland.

Oh yeah I'm knew here so, hi yall!

:ph34r:

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.

Lordie, didn't realize how grey in the muzzle this group was (Ceptin you, maggie m'love, an of course the Queen).

:ph34r:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

I went to Walt Disney Elementry in Anaheim on Orange street. They gave us free "see the park" passes where they took us through the whole park for our 6th grade graduation. A present from W. Disney when the School opened the year before the park did. :) Neat fact. :)

Lordie, didn't realize how grey in the muzzle this group was

It aint so bad gettin older, we still have a few piratin' years left. Might have to change a song or two tho,

now it'll have to be.........................YO HO HO and a bottle of TUMS! B)

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.

Yeah, I'm gettin' pretty long in the tooth (well, if I had any). Lived longer than any o' the old school pirates. I can still drink rum, swing a cutlass, and use all the other mechanics o' nature, at least I think it all still works. Disneyland shoulda never taken out the ship, and Knott's Berry Farm shoulda never taken out the Indian Camp. sigh

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Mmm, Disneyland. Me and me friends are quite the Disney whores, and we all frequent the place at least twice to three times a year, maybe more. I live close to Anaheim, so it's easy for me.

I do not recall anything sounding like a Pirate Ship restaurant, but there's still a PotC shop of the ride, and a ship that sets sail in the little "bay" around New Orleans Square. I forgot tis name, but it's quite pretty, if a little out of proportion. Ye can set foot on deck for a little while, but methinks it's all it does.

Check out the official Disneyland site if yer interested.

Oh, and if anyone wants specific pictures of the park, I'm going there in June, so I'll bring a digital camera.

Captain Wolfy Wench

The only park with Hook's ship like that one is in Euro Disney.. they have the ship you can eat on.

Hey Gabby, doesn't it figure?? And to think the French folks didn't even want the park to begin with!! ;)

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I just recently stayed at the Disneyland Resort, and to my happiness, saw that there were more pirate-themed things there besides at the park!

At the Disneyland Resort, there are two pools, the largest of which is pirate-themed! There is a large pirate ship by the side, and two waterslides, one of which comes off the side of the ship. Over by another side is a big skull, and all of this is obviously inspired by Peter Pan. Also, there is a restaurant in the Resort called Hook's Pointe, and one of the doors that led inside was called something to the effect of "The Captain's Quarters." I didn't get to go inside, as my friends were too cheap to pay for the food there, but I'm plannin' for it next time!

IMG_1038.jpg

Captain Wolfy Wench