Period Buckles

William Brand

With Gibbet Jones offering to make period buckles from examples in art and exhibits, I'm putting out a request for buckles in art. Please post images of fancy, unique and even common buckles for shoes, belts, bags and baldrics of the period. The greater the detail in art and etchings the better. Any individual living near a museum is strongly encouraged to sneak a camera in and take some shots.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

This is listed as a late 17th century, early 18th century belt buckle. It is described as a copper alloy buckle with moulded decoration, a small fragment of leather survives attached to the central bar. No size is mentioned, but this is from a dig called the Chester Amphitheatre Project.

buckle.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh dear... as if I needed fuel to add to my buckle fettish. Mate, if you start making shoe buckles, I'd totally be down for getting a pair of fancy ones, if I could fit them to the Loyalist Arms early 18th century shoes, which I have been meaning to get for a while.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

At the risk of being scorned for referencing "the Dreadlocked One" in a thread about historical buckles, is it just me, or does that one almost, sort-of, vaguely resemble Jack Sparrow's baldric buckle from movies 2 and 3?

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

At the risk of being scorned for referencing "the Dreadlocked One" in a thread about historical buckles, is it just me, or does that one almost, sort-of, vaguely resemble Jack Sparrow's baldric buckle from movies 2 and 3?

It's not to far off but the one pictured above is a lot smaller I would say

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 2 months later...

Awesome!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Ditto! Great find Capt. S

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Ye gents are EEEEEVVVIIIIIIIILLLLL!!!!

Especially for a Lady such as m'self who's ALWAYS lookin' for fine things t' adore m' attire. ;) Th' buckles are right nice.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a couple of buckles and bits off ebay with the hopes of reproducing them somehow or at least using them as the basis for some larger buckles.

buckle1.jpg

Elaborate 17th-18th Century Bronze Buckle

buckle2.jpg

Queen Anne Period Bronze Buckle 1710

hanger.jpg

17th-18th century cupid type bronze belt hanger

fitment.jpg

Attractive 17th century bronze open-work fitment

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...