It's the end of the World as we know it....

Patrick Hand

Yeah.... this should go into "what are you reading right now"... But I just started reading "Maya Cosmogenesuis 2012"

So far, it's only talking about the sun rising from a really interesting place on December 21st 2012.... hopefully it will start to explain how the World ends with earthquakes and tidal waves and alla that interesting stuff kinda soon....

Anyway.... I'm thinking what a cool party it could be..... I have to read more of the book, to figure out where would be the best place to be (somewhere in Mexico, maybe) But heck... if the World doesn't end, and the calender just starts all over again...(remember the disappointment surrounding alla the hype about Y2K? )At least I was somewhere kinda fun....

If the World does end.... at least I will be at one heck of a party.......

And other than REM's "It's the End of the WOrld as we know it"

and Jimmy Buffet's "Party at the End of the World"

Does anyone know any other fun songs about the end of the World?

The more I read, the more it appears that this is going to be a lot of fun, some decent movies, and a big anticlimax. On the other hand, I just ordered a t-shirt that says, "Party like it's December 2012" in Mayan petroglyphs. I've also set December 20, 2012 as the new deadline for me to be debt free. Let's party . . .

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

For musical accompaniment, you might consider "World Destruction" by Time Zone and "Party at Ground Zero" by Fishbone.

As for me, if the world explodes and makes me miss Christmas, I shall be very cross.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

And other than REM's "It's the End of the WOrld as we know it"

and Jimmy Buffet's "Party at the End of the World"

Does anyone know any other fun songs about the end of the World?

Ol' Jimmy also gave us "Apocalypso" from his 1994 album "Fruitcakes"

"They say this universe is bound to blow

But I say we crank up the calypso control

Apocalyp, apocalyp, apocalypso"

Yeah... remember when we thought that world was going to end on 01/01/2000 ?!?

We headed for the BVIs in the Caribbean in November of '99 to celebrate my 40th birthday somewhere FUN (you know, before the "World Ended")

We figured we'd wait out the Y2K nonsense in a nice rum-buttered haze. Well, there was an unusually late, "wrong-way" huricanne called Lenny, but not much else except for R&R (Rum & Reggae).

The world didn't end, I turn 50 in about two weeks, and I plan to party like it's 1699... on Cayo Hueso!

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

Dang why couldn't it be a few weeks earlier then we could all party at PiP. . .

Well...

We could just stay and "Play though" as they say.

Why leave Paradise if there's nothing left to leave for?

(In fact, why do we ever leave PIP?)

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

"Right Here, Right Now" by Jesus Jones.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

While not a song, we could all drink "La Fin du Monde" by Unibroue... It's a really good ale from Quebec. The name translates to "The End of the World".

Red Sea Trade, you have some awesome taste in music! I love both those songs by the Time Zone and Fishbone! I'm also a big fan of Jesus Jones!

More on topic there is also the song "Apocalypso" by "Lords of the New Church".

Michael_banner.jpg

My late uncle who was long the senior editor of TIME magazine would always say, if they dropped the bomb he wished to have a hat with a big red target on it and have them drop it straight away. Everyone in my family is silly :P

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

"Master of the house, doling out the charm

Ready with a handshake and an open palm

Tells a saucy tale, makes a little stir

Customers appreciate a bon-viveur..."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sorry, but give me the old Prince classic "1999" We could change the date, but then it wouldn't rhyme as well. The meaning, however, is the same. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

No, no, Rumba! It's just the end of the world. The Pub will go on . . .

As for the music I'll have playing when it happens, I'm thinking the reprise of O Fortuna at the end of Orff's Carmina Burana might be just the ticket!

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

I ain't worried...I've been thru more world ending events than I've had hot meals (we all remember the horrors of Y2K, right?) I recently read a Nostradamus prediction book by Rene Noorbergen, and got many good laughs from it. I'm still waiting for that asteroid to smack into us, as was predicted in the aforesaid book...which was published in the early 1980's, and the heavenly body was due to bang into us and start World War 3 off...back in 1985.

It amazes me how the "researchers" find relevant "predictions" only after a given event has taken place. Aren't predictions meant to...predict?

What would you call ex post facto predictions, anyway?

As for music...well...why not Journey of the Sorcerer, by the Eagles? Doug Adams used that for Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, which started off with the end of the world.

Edited by Capn Bob

Damn, thats sharp!

If you want some real perspective, check this site out.

Prognosticators have been predicting the world is going to end since the beginning of recorded time. This is a great chronology of it and very enlightening.

http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

We aren't going anywhere fast, no matter what the Mayans and Sony Pictures try to convince us otherwise.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I for one hope that the Mayans ARE right, since there won't be any Social Security left for me and I don't want to be flipping burgers when I'm 85. All matter can convert instantly to energy and explode outward at the speed of light and it's okay in my book. As my father would say, "At least its a dry heat!"

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I hope I still have unpaid bils when it happens :unsure: take that!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

You can also add in all the fun that our dates and theirs don't correspond anyway. When the Gregorian calendar was adopted in 1752 in the colonies, 10 days were summarily removed from the calendar in September. George Washington was born Feb. 11, 1731, not Feb. 22, 1731 as we all acknowledge it.

Oh, and in 1582 Pope Gregory XIII removed another 10 days from the calendar. You went to bed Oct. 4, 1582 and it was Oct. 15 the next morning.

It has nothing really to do with the Mayan calendar but it shows how our own calendar is filled with so many errors.

Oh, by the way, since I only by a new calendar every year, does that mean that the world ends on Dec. 31 each year? Perhaps the Mayan calendar maker simply wanted to be able to sell a new calendar design eventually. :blink:

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

As for the music I'll have playing when it happens, I'm thinking the reprise of O Fortuna at the end of Orff's Carmina Burana might be just the ticket!

Nice choice. One of my favorite pieces of music. And the lyrics fit too, in a way.

Does anyone other than me remember this whole 2012 thing from In Search Of, with Leonard Nimoy?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.