EBay - Santa Maria Benefit

MarkG

We are starting a new auction to benefit the Columbus Santa Maria. As many of you know, the ship hosts a couple of pirate events per year. Due to budget cut-backs, the City no longer contributes any operating money so the ship has to live on admission tickets and fund-raisers like this.

We have some nice merchandise. There are some hand-knitted caps and three different lanterns. Mickey contributed one of his cartridge boxes. Plus other pirate and nautical goods.

The items will start showing up starting Wednesday, Oct. 14 at 9 pm EST.

Search on seller "MarkAndJennieG".

Mark

Tomorrow is the last day to bid on a lot of the first batch of items in the auctions. A lot of these items are still going for well under their value! So now is the time to start bidding. I'm surprised no one has bid on the blue hand knit cap! You can barely buy machine knit caps in 100% wool for that little anymore never mind a hand knit one!

Michael_banner.jpg

Tomorrow is the last day to bid on a lot of the first batch of items in the auctions. A lot of these items are still going for well under their value! So now is the time to start bidding. I'm surprised no one has bid on the blue hand knit cap! You can barely buy machine knit caps in 100% wool for that little anymore never mind a hand knit one!

The cap is here. It's just the thing to wear on a windy day when your tricorn keeps blowing off of on a sailboat with a boom that can knock your hat into the water.

We will be adding some more items tomorrow but the best stuff is already posted and ending soon.

Mark

Say...no one has bid on Jabber...

For those of us wanting to just write a check, to whom do we write it and where do we send it? (I've been told it's a 503c, so doing so is tax deductible.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Say...no one has bid on Jabber...

For those of us wanting to just write a check, to whom do we write it and where do we send it? (I've been told it's a 503c, so doing so is tax deductible.)

We already relisted it.

Selling it directly would be complicated. If you wrote a check to the ship then they would have to reimburse us for postage. If you wrote the check to us then it would be hard to prove that it was for charity. This is taken care of in the auction because we have a letter from Linda authorizing us to hold an auction on the ship's behalf.

However... we can probably take some small unsold items to PIP and save postage.

Mark

Sorry, I was talking about two different things. (I was being silly with the comment about the parrot.)

However, I was asking for you to post the address where people can send donation checks. You get into all sorts of issues with taxes when gifts are attached to a donation; you have to deduct the value of the gift from the donation, so I don't even bother claiming them. (However, I did bid on something else in the auction.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

You can view the information for direct donations on this web page.. The instructions accommodate for mailing a check (the address is in there, although I think it should be written to stand out more), or one can do a direct donation via a web form (via credit card).

To make it easier, the address is...

Columbus Santa Maria Inc. (make checks payable to this name as well as addressing mail to the ship here)

1111 East Broad Street LL

Columbus, OH 43205

Michael_banner.jpg

Ok, I bid on the fracca-rassin parrot. I dares someone ta' up my bid! (Please! Here's a convenient link.)

(If I win it, I want to specify that it be sent to a different address.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sorry I missed this one. Been busy with course-work and country life in general. I've been collecting flea-market bargains off-and-on again, so I'll try and keep up better for donating to future fundraising ventures. I got a nice thank-you card from you guys last time that I wanted to acknowledge as well. Best...

Bo

Well, you haven't totally missed it. Some of the auctions are still going on at this point. You can see them here.

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Crap!?!...just bought...and recieved the Lg Lock.....its only bout TWICE as big as i thought it was...!?!?! :blink:

:blink:

maybe the word...."LG"....should have been a give away?? :huh:

That or the measurement.

No one bought the smallest of the three. We can relist if someone will buy it.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Final tally - the Santa Maria auction brought in $300.00.

The first auction brought in around $600.00. Then were were the bar fund raisers that Micky organized, the donation that the bar gave us.

The year's two biggest weekends were the two pirate events.

All told, piracy has been very good for the Santa Maria.

Mark

All told, piracy has been very good for the Santa Maria.

:lol:

I wonder what Columbus would have thought of that statement? :lol:

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just in time for Christmas, we have 3 more items handmade and kindly donated by Ashley Brower ... too good to hold for later!

Gents, if your plunder ran a little short this year and you're looking for Christmas gifts for your lady, here ya go:

Lady's Linen Cap http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150396822743&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Lady's Fancy Brocade Pocket http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150396827348&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Lady's Elbow-Length Knitted Mitts http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150396830299&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Get your Christmas shopping done AND help the Santa Maria!

Jennie

• 2 months later...

Just a little bump on this.

We will be running another charity auction in conjunction with the May Santa Maria Pirate weekend (for event discussions, please See This Topic On the Pub).

I just wanted to send a request out there to those who are generous of heart and are willing to and able to help support the cause. We could really use donations for the auction (also see this post or this web page), a few wonderful folks and small businesses have contacted me regarding this already, but if there is anyone else out there, please do contact either Kate_Souris, Mark G, Jennie_G, or myself if you can lend a hand.

The last few auctions have made a significant impact on this event and the fund raising efforts for te ship and floating museum.

Again a huge thank you to all those who have donated in the past, and those donating to this or a future efforts. Without you guys, gals and small businesses this event wouldn't be the success it has been and will continue to be.

Michael_banner.jpg

Mickey,

I'll be sending some good stuff your way very shortly. I'm waiting for my Stockholm tar to come in first... ;)

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

;) Silly Canadian...

If we were gonna send you tar and feathers, we'd do it in person!! More amusing that way... ;)

No, actually I've been working on some knotwork on various things... Gonna send a handful of stuff to you guys.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

• 2 weeks later...

In a rather random effort of extreme generosity, a mysterious benefactor (History Fanatic of Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters) started THIS AUCTION to benefit the Santa Maria, with some awesome goodies! Most of these goodies are on a 7 day bid cycle, and it took me half a day to get this message... So time is short!

Please re-post this and share this information with anyone and everyone that you think may be interested!

Michael_banner.jpg

In a rather random effort of extreme generosity, a mysterious benefactor (History Fanatic of Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters) started THIS AUCTION to benefit the Santa Maria, with some awesome goodies! Most of these goodies are on a 7 day bid cycle, and it took me half a day to get this message... So time is short!

Please re-post this and share this information with anyone and everyone that you think may be interested!

Bump... Last day for these auction items! And it seems the generosity of HistoryFanatic continues on, as a new item was added some time in the last day or two!

Michael_banner.jpg