Great Big Sea

I just wanted to write to let you pirates know about a fantastic sea song band from Newfoundland, named Great Big Sea. They really are one of the best I've ever heard, with a mix of traditional and modern songs. You can buy their albums on Amazon, though I got them cheaper through Amazon.ca (Amazon Canada), even with international shipping added in.

Aye I loves great big sea I also has a fondness fer Leahy , Clannad , the chieftans the Rankins an most celtic type o music . Specialy when it involves the sea . Trapper if ye ever travels north of the 49 th pm me an let me know where you'll be singin an I shall bring me crew in to bask in yer lovelyness. Oh by the bye I have a particular weakness fer the harp . Oh yeah and rum ..... :ph34r:

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

I got into Great Big Sea about 2 weeks after they played a free concert at the Minnesota State Fair, 2 summers ago I think. They haven't been back to the state since, to my knowledge.

I also have to recommend Tanglefoot, another Canadian band. They play a lot of good songs of the sea, and do my favorite pirate song, "Traighli Bay" I have seen them live maybe 10 times, and they never fail to thrill. They will be playing in Minneapolis on Feb 14, and in Winnipeg, Manitoba the following weekend. Their website is http://www.tanglefootmusic.com/

Here's a little sample of lyrics from Traighli Bay:

We pulled up alongside with our grappling hooks and lines

Guns and cutlasses in hand on the gunwales we did stand

Every hand from the Captain to the cabin boy

Saw three dead the chains had flayed, then we raised and crossed our blades

To their mates we gave our best as the sun set in the west

With pikes and swords, pistols, fists and feet

Chorus

And with tar on our pigtails and blood on our rapiers

We'll fly the skull and crossbones and by God we'll take no prisoners

It's hiho away boys, we'll sail from Traighli Bay boys

Hoist the Jolly Roger at the break of day