Naval Carriage

MorganTyre

I wasn't sure which was the appropriate forum to put this in so please move it if you deem it more acceptable someplace else. I recently purchased a "traditions yorktown cannon" (See one here) for a ridiculously good deal from a local hat and commercial fixture store. My ultimate goal is to make something similiar to this:

AM-French%20Naval.jpg

Step one will involve a naval carriage. Does anyone know of any good plans or scale drawings or even a set of measurements from a period carriage? I know the cannon style itself is a little late but that doesn't mean I can't be correct with the surrounding details. I have found some decent info online but everything is later except for a bad period illustration.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I wasn't sure which was the appropriate forum to put this in so please move it if you deem it more acceptable someplace else. I recently purchased a "traditions yorktown cannon" (See one here) for a ridiculously good deal from a local hat and commercial fixture store. My ultimate goal is to make something similiar to this:

AM-French%20Naval.jpg

Step one will involve a naval carriage. Does anyone know of any good plans or scale drawings or even a set of measurements from a period carriage? I know the cannon style itself is a little late but that doesn't mean I can't be correct with the surrounding details. I have found some decent info online but everything is later except for a bad period illustration.

are you going to made a scale model? if so, how big is the yorktown cannon?

AM-French%20Naval.jpg

are you going to made a scale model? if so, how big is the yorktown cannon?

sorry just noticed your reference. to work something up to fit that, that would be 17th century, you will have to start from scatch. if you can get a copy of time life book "the spainish main" it has an excellent drawing of an early spainish carriage. one of the traits of early gun carriages is they have a full deck in them them.

if you google "seaman's grammar and dictionary" by captian john smith there is a section on how to figure out the ratios of building a naval carriage for each size cannon. it is written in old english and requires some deciphering.

Here be a free one but I don't belive it has what yea need mate ;-}

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20483/20483-h/20483-h.htm#page046

the hard part is finding what you need, lots of stuff out there on the NEW style carriages of the english pattern.

RIPP Tar had a fine link posted to the english pattern, but there is the rub, there are a lot of detailed drawings out there for the english pattern

The book "Round Shot and Rammer's" has a nice two view drawing for a naval or garrison gun, but again, 'new english pattern'

MorganTyre also posted a good book link, but again, no bed, new english pattern!

What we need is a good early pattern drawing for the earlier 'Full Bed' naval carriage. But I have no idea where to find one. Sometimes refered as a Spanish pattern.

Bright posted a picture link http://www.gutenberg...3-h.htm#page046 that actually shows a full bed carriage, but line drawings like the ones RIPP Tar for a bed carriage

would be a blessing for anyone trying to make a true period depiction of a GAOP naval carriage.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Did you see the ca.1710 French Bronze gunne I posted in the Armory section?

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=15839

Will that help? I could try and get some more photos next month while I'm there if you like.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.