Women's Shortgown

Liam McMac

shortgownFront.jpgshortgownrear.jpg

Here are some pics of the new shortgown I made for my loverly lady. Used my own pattern.... is it too short?

Her grandmother got this material 27 years ago in Scotland.

Edited by Liam McMac

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

Hmmm... I was under the impression that they called them shortgowns because they were shorter than a gown, and that they only called them jackets if worn by a man. That's what I thought but I'm sure that someone here will enlighten me with their knowledge.

I'm here to learn

Edited by Liam McMac

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

Liam,

you ought to be right proud!!

the pattern you made is awesome! and i hope you saved it---i hope your woman makes you an apple pie or some dessert that you love in appreciation!!!!!!!!!!{or whatever token of appreciation that shows you her gratitude!!:D }

i dont know what era you seek to re-enact, but artwork would support such a gown....1660's- 1690's country folk--

i shall look around in art books that i have to give you an artist and a title of such .. .. give me a few days

that being said, i do think if you saved your pattern, add anywhere between 3- 5 inches flaring it ever so slightly outwards athe hem-- flare it towards, and that it mimics and the same shape as the hips-- look up "peplum skirt shapes" and "tulip shape skirt" for an idea of what that means as far as line and shape....

google 18th century or even exact years of GaoP.... for womens gowns.... that will help you see the shapes that were common...

i think you should enjoy the baske of glow from your accomplishment--

the fabric choice is LOVELY and definitely historically accurate...

did you enjoy your endeavors into tailoring? i hope so because you did excellent work!

cant wait to see wht else you can do!!! and i would especially love to see your button choice!!

Peace,

lady constance

Liam,

you ought to be right proud!!

the pattern you made is awesome! and i hope you saved it---i hope your woman makes you an apple pie or some dessert that you love in appreciation!!!!!!!!!!{or whatever token of appreciation that shows you her gratitude!!wink.gif }

i dont know what era you seek to re-enact, but artwork would support such a gown....1660's- 1690's country folk--

i shall look around in art books that i have to give you an artist and a title of such .. .. give me a few days

that being said, i do think if you saved your pattern, add anywhere between 3- 5 inches flaring it ever so slightly outwards athe hem-- flare it towards, and that it mimics and the same shape as the hips-- look up "peplum skirt shapes" and "tulip shape skirt" for an idea of what that means as far as line and shape....

google 18th century or even exact years of GaoP.... for womens gowns.... that will help you see the shapes that were common...

i think you should enjoy the baske of glow from your accomplishment--

the fabric choice is LOVELY and definitely historically accurate...

did you enjoy your endeavors into tailoring? i hope so because you did excellent work!

cant wait to see wht else you can do!!! and i would especially love to see your button choice!!

Peace,

lady constance

Thank you very kindly for your input... I have in fact only been tailoring for a year and a half but I have made so much clothing I have lost track. This shortgown is acctualy flared and split at the sides but you can't see it in these photos. I only added about 5 inches past the waist because I wanted it to be asimple but flatering shape which fits her curves nicely. I'm not going to add buttons as the research I have done, has led me to the conclusion that women's gowns rarely had buttons, but rather simple pins to close their garments.

To be sure... my lady rewards me every day with her presence alone.

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

Aye lad you are quite right about the use of pins to close garments. I think what Lady Constance was referring to is that you might want to make the gown slightly longer with a more pronounced flair to the skirting to mid hip length or slightly longer.

I hope to make her an entire period correct ensemble so I will be making her a linen shortgown/jacket to wear in the warmer months. When I do I will be sure make it longer and more full in the skirts....... thanks again

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!