Need Advice with conversion project

captscurvy_nc

So I have a really nice London Fog four button full length dress longcoat madeof black wool with a silken type lining. I have cut off the collar, removed the shoulder pads but still have to figure out what to do with the lapels. I have another wool coat the same color that's tooo small and damaged so I've cut it up to make bigger sleeves to stich on the original jacket but I still can't get the fit right. Has anyone ever tackled a project simular to this? Any advice?

captnscurvey---

take a good look at the front opening line you want for your pirate coat.....study the lines well --draw the lines with chalk on your coat--- put the coat on and double check that it is the shape that you want...make sure to allow for closing the seam and that it will still close around you

open the seams the entire length of the front..... you are going to have to cut the curve you want on one side...cut one side first-- take the peice that you cut off, and place that as pattern for the other side of the coat so they match exactly---- remember to flip it as a mirror image...

you are going to have to close the edge by hand unless you can figure out how to turn the entire coat inside out to sew from the inside { this can be done-- it is just a pain in the arse}

pay close attention to how the garment was contructed in the first place.. it will behelpful as you sew more and more...

i cannot help you with the sleeve issue because i dont understand what you mean....is it that the sleeves of the coat youare making dont fit as you wish? or are you using the second jacket for the bell sleeves pirates have on them???

good luck ,

lady constance

I modified an existing coat for a girlfriend a couple of years back. Had NO intention of attempting period correctness, just wanted to make her a fancy looking coat with a "pirate" look to it. It came out incredibly good-looking.

First thing I did was alter the front, in the manner suggested by Lady Constance, and remove the collar. I detatched the lining all around the bottom to gain access to the inside. It was intended that the coat be worn open, so being able to completely close it was not an issue. The next thing was to alter the shape and fit of the body of the coat. This goes a long way toward achieving the right look. I opened up the side seams all the way to the armpits, and took it in at the waist. The coat had pockets located on the side seams, and these disappeared in the process. I made a central and two side vents in the back. There was sufficient excess length to cut off and get enough material for good sized cuffs, and new pocket flaps. There was no need to deal with the sleeve areas, other than removing the shoulder padding. After it was done, I went completely insane with fancy trim and 50 buttons, and came out with a real eye-catching coat.

>>>>> Cascabel

i have taken many a mans wool suit coat, removed the sleeves and turned into waist coats galore-- just buy a size or two bigger....and you can also make sailors jackets out of them also--cut off extra at the bottom...

most mens coats and finermade clothing has the two part sleeves that are from that era.........

always buy a larger size and then take it in!!

would love to see the coat you made for your beloved cascabel!!!

I think I have a couple of good pictures in my 'puter. If I can figure out how to post them, I'll do it. I was pretty proud of how it came out....

>>>>> Cascabel

I've got the same problem with 2 coats. They both have pockets in inconvenient places. One has a horizontal breast pocket, the other has 2 diagonal side pockets. None of the pockets are located near seams, or where a seam would likely be made during an alteration. Both coats are heavy wool, and there is some matching fabric inside the pockets, before the liner material starts in each. I can remove the flaps easily, but the problem is the remaining slit. Is there a kind of blind stitch that would make the slit disappear?

I've got the same problem with 2 coats. They both have pockets in inconvenient places. One has a horizontal breast pocket, the other has 2 diagonal side pockets. None of the pockets are located near seams, or where a seam would likely be made during an alteration. Both coats are heavy wool, and there is some matching fabric inside the pockets, before the liner material starts in each. I can remove the flaps easily, but the problem is the remaining slit. Is there a kind of blind stitch that would make the slit disappear?

Hmmmmm..... That could be a real problem !!! The few times I have done this kind of thing, I was always careful to avoid choosing those types of coats to modify. Depending on the size, diagonal side pockets can possibly be concealed with an oversized pocket flap carefully positioned, and kept buttoned closed. Some of the period coats had quite large flaps, as seen on some of the examples posted in "Twill". Not sure what to suggest about the breast pocket.......

>>>>> Cascabel

I think I have a couple of good pictures in my 'puter. If I can figure out how to post them, I'll do it. I was pretty proud of how it came out....

>>>>> Cascabel

O.K., Here's the pics..... ( I hope !!!)

>>>>> Cascabel

IzabelinPiratesCoat019.jpg

IzabelinPiratesCoat020.jpg

IzabelinPiratesCoat012.jpg

amazing coat transformation!!! excellent job!!!

svoroj-----------you might be able to hide the slit pockets by stitching the 2 edges together...with invisible thread-- fair warning that stuff is a be atch to work with....

i know of no way to fix the top breast pocket short of patching it up like it ripped there and making the patch obvious yet not too obvious,,, decide to make it look like yah tore it in battle and then repaired it,,,,,i dunno...wear a sash like the french?---i will ask a few sewing ladies i know

I cut and redid the collar today and will work on the front flaps tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get a chance. Next step will be finding 60 buttons of all the same design for it. I have fabric covered button blanks that are a dull silver so I might just snap them together without anything on them.