piratical accesories

Misery

If'n ye want somthin' really special, check out the Atocha treasure. The family o' the bloke that found the wreck continues the salvage an' sells some o' what they bring up to the public. The authentic pieces are pretty high (over $2000 fer a piece of eight in great condition), but they also make repros out o' the gold an' silver bars fer much less. That way, ye gets real treasure of'n a Spanish gold ship even though the coin weren't a coin at the time, if ye follow. Me wife an' I each gots two such pieces. I cin e-mail pitures if ye like, but I ain't figgered out how ta post 'em.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

Ebay is usually one of the best sources for that kind of thing. That's were most of our pirates get their gear.

So tell me, what keywords do you put into the search? If ya just puts pirate, ya get a ton of cheesy lingerie (why the call it Pirate is beyond me, unless it's beacuse the thong looks like an eyepatch!) and Pittsburgh Pirates baseball caps, along with kids toys and stuff.

Any advice for refining yer serach on eBay?

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

how did I miss the cheezy lingerie?

Gotta change searth engines.... :)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

:huh: try hot topic stores (usually in the mall) if yer lookin fer a good handful of pirate shirts, jewelry, sweat bands.. wrist cuffs, pic frmaes, shower curtains, patches, stickers, pins, underwear (yes.. pirate underwear) tons of good stuff.. keep a weather eye out!

Cabinlass Maggie

It'll be the rope's end for that one, me bucko.

Ebay is a good place to start for cheap stuff. Just watch out for the "bidding bug" when the auctions get going. Remember to scan for prices first. Also, I found a fine small brass "monoscope" collapsing telescope at my local Cracker Barrel for about $13. I found another one at Wal-Mart for a comparable price.

Ebay has some pretty good estate jewelry and powder horns. I've seen some stuff go from the outrageously expensive to the opposite end of the spectrum...dirt cheap. I recently got a steal on a .925 silver estate poison ring for $15. Also, a place called the Silvery Jewelry Box website has very inexpensive silver rings in a variety of odd shapes and sizes. I checked out "dragons" the other day, and they had lots of very unique styles for under $20.

I got an "antique" compass, made to look like those naval compasses of the 1800's for about $5 on Ebay. It's brass and looks very nice.

Go to yard sales, estate sales, auctions and anything else you can find. I found an old pirate ship antiqued pin at a yard sale years and years ago. I didn't realize what a find I had until I dug it out after I had learned to appreciated detailed jewelry. It's very small and VERY detailed.

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

NIGEL:

Don't type in "pirate" in Ebay search unless you want to muck around for three weeks in thongs that look like eyepatches, coloring books, baseball memorabilia, Peter Pan and all other sorts of crap. Type exactly what you are looking for. I've found that using the refined or detailed searches is better when you're looking for something. For example, when I was looking for a wedding dress, I typed in "wedding gown" and came up with everything from dresses to slips to shoes to tiaras. All mostly useless. Then, I refined my search and omitted the words I didn't want to find. That usually solves the problem of digging through useless junk to find what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Ah, so you're saying use the "not these words" filter, eh?

it can be kinda dicey, I guess ya just have to play with it to find out what works.

Oh boo hoo. I am so lazy.

B)

Thanks fer the advice, luv!

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Here're some links ta get Atocha treasure.

http://www.atocha.com/

http://www.melfisher.org/1622.htm

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?h...krd=1?kw=atocha

http://www.shipwrecktreasures.com/aboutthe.htm

http://www.atochajewelry.com/

There be many more sites that ye can get this one of a kind jewelry and authentic pieces from, but this should whet yer appetite. If ye ever take a vacation down in Key West, I recommend seeing the Mel Fisher Museum. There be some beautiful pieces of what can only be called art there an' ye can also heft an authentic gold bar that had been salvaged from the wreck. It be a heavy son of a gun considerin' it's size. I also remember pirate action figures in the gift shop.

Happy huntin'.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

::ponders:: Well.. besides what you had listed like Townsend, Smoke & Fire & Fox... G. Gedney Godwin is one, albeit a bit pricy. I'm not sure who else has replica equipment. But revwar.comhas a list of sutlers or should at least.

I can't say much about the seafaring equipment of Townsend as I haven't really seen it. I've seen a lot of their stuff at re-enactments, but nothing nautical related. But.. they don't take quality lightly. I would imagine their equipment is really good.

A lot of re-enactors I know swear by Smoke & Fire. Though it's been a while since I have been to that site.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

~Master & Commander of the Resurrection

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!