Glass Grenadoes

Mr.Tignor

Iv found quite a bit on iron cased grenadoes of the period, but not quite so much on improvised glass grenadoes. They seemed to be common enough to be mentioned a number of times in period texts. does anyone have any description of their construction? I wish to make a few(that dont work of course) for a grenadier kit. The basic understanding i have is glass filled with powder, nails etc. , covered in tar, wrapped in rope for grip, insert fuse,cover opening with wax+cloth...is that about right? Other than the grenades i believe id need a bag to carry them in, and a slow burning match in the right hand(theres an image i saw of this somewhere on the pub)

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Yes, I have seen a merchant that sells them in different colours.

Let me poke around my hard drive and I will see if I can find

their web addy.

UPDATE:

I looked for the address for that merchant but I didn't have any luck.

I will look on my other computer tomorrow.

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Iv found quite a bit on iron cased grenadoes of the period, but not quite so much on improvised glass grenadoes. They seemed to be common enough to be mentioned a number of times in period texts. does anyone have any description of their construction? I wish to make a few(that dont work of course) for a grenadier kit. The basic understanding i have is glass filled with powder, nails etc. , covered in tar, wrapped in rope for grip, insert fuse,cover opening with wax+cloth...is that about right? Other than the grenades i believe id need a bag to carry them in, and a slow burning match in the right hand(theres an image i saw of this somewhere on the pub)

hey Reg,

i found these articles, not sure if it helps.

Pirates Wiki

REAL period grenadoes and a glass bottle fer sale if ya have da coin

ihtcbanner.jpg

Thanks mooseworth, but strangly enough i found those in my searches( dont know why no ones made one...lol) I have a good place to get the glass, it what to do with the orbs thats the problem*sigh.... thanks capt.satan! do you remember what merchant it might be at all?

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

id really like to make them myself, bbuuttt my good man if you could get some pictures ....i would greatly appreciate it!