getting the mantua { short or long} to flare nicely

was wondering for all you that sew these peices, IF you have ever thought of simply adding longer panels/adjusting the length of/ to a peplum skirt........

either that OR by adding a piece of hourglass shaped fabric with the box pleats already sewn into them } to the peplum already made????????--and adding them to each peice of peplum seaming........

{ have any of yah madea bikini? simply hour glass shape for the bottom--but that shape smallish at the top and flared like bell bottom jeans--OH LA LA! instant placket to be added for awesoem drape and fold!!}

i have a celtic kacket pattern from clotilde that is DEAD on for a mantua shaping...... its only fault being that it needs lengthening..........{and i am so doing}

i think of allllllllll the gowns that i have seen either in paintings or actual museum peices that drape so beautifully--- and although i am using modern sewing methods the look should be dead on { just dont come lift my hems to see !}

would appreciate any advice.......

i have the RH pattern for mantua.......for guidelines and shape definition.... great help but not what i am looking for in a finished peice.......

I have made a bikini, actually (I just sold the crocheted one I made on ebay as it turns out I got fat- But that's another problem). I'm still not sure what you mean... The way I made my mantua was with a few LONG lengths of fabric pleated into shape and added the triangle like pieces on the sides. I know that's period (it's the Janet Arnold Pattern). And it appears to be a good way to utilize fabric efficiently. The way it sounds, You would be cutting out a lot of fabric to have the length. But I'm sure I don't understand. Oh, and I have to recommend doing the flat felled seaming on the inside because it looks beautiful, surprisingly. And I don't have to worry about seems if I go twirly, twirly, twirly.... lol.

Oh, and did you see? We now have a "sewing room" it's very exciting!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

would appreciate any advice.......

i have the RH pattern for mantua.......for guidelines and shape definition.... great help but not what i am looking for in a finished peice.......

I really don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. What exactly are you looking for in a finished piece? If you already have the RH pattern, why not use it? It is a correct mantua. Yes, it does have a few issues but I'm sure a call to Kass or others on the forum that have made mantua's from this pattern will be more than happy to help.

Modern sewing techniques are one thing. I have often hand sewn over machine sewn visible seams to make an item look more authentic but modifying a modern garment is another story all together. I guess I just don't understand either.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Connie, the RH pattern does have a couple of little issues (that pesky shoulder thing, for one), but with minor tweaks it does come out a good mantua. I have now made 3 mantuas with that pattern, and found it relatively simple. It helps that Michael is pretty good at sewing and was able to help get me through the tricky parts that I didn't quite understand.

DSC_0132.jpg

This is the back of my blue wool mantua from the RH pattern.

DSCF2299.jpg

Here's a shot of the front (sitting on the Explorer....about 10 seconds before Cheeky and I got it in our heads that we needed to play "King of the World" up front....) The only thing that I don't like about the RH pattern is the fact that it kept falling off of my shoulders. Also, it is the kind of mantua that can close in the front. I solved that by simply turning back the front panels and pinning them in to make that V neck style. On the next RH mantua that I made, I simply added an inch to the shoulder area and cut the front panels (that would normally close up the front) into the V shape.

Wish I could show you the teal one....but I can't find any good front shots of it....imagine that. I'm sure someone on here has one though. :rolleyes:

Banner.jpg