Distibution of Black Powder

oderlesseye

Does anyone know resources that would describe the process of distribution of powder from the magazine to the Ships guns..???GAOP of course..

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

from the magazine in buckets via powder monkey to the guns. there seems to be two ways to do this. the first is by measured scoop till the bucket is empty and send said monkey back for another load -or- have premade sacks in the bucket and issue out as ye need, then when you run out of premade loads revert back to the first method.

the containers seem to be a bit of a sticking point though. wood or leather obviously will work, but I believe sterling has found some documentation on brass canisters as well. I don't know the details though.

-or- have premade sacks in the bucket and issue out as ye need,

That one always made the most sense..... having the powder monkeys running around with buckets of loose powder, and the spillage... just don't sound right.....

I can't document it, but having pre-measured bags of powder for (not for each gun, but the same size guns) ... in the heat of battle... who wants to measure anything....

Then theres something about the leather satchels that the powder monkeys used to carry the powder........

Thinking about it a little more....

the Battle has started.... the powder monkeys be runnin'...

"I need th' charges fer gun 3 and 7....." (says this 12 year old kid....)

The Armour... should know that gun #3 is a 12 pounder, and gun #7 is only a 6 pounder.... it's the powder monkeys job to get the powder to the guns.... but it is the ship's Armour's job to know what charge go where.....

"OK boy.. the big bag goes to gun number three.... and the smaller to seven... got that?....."

(the arguement messes up if all the guns are the same size....... ;) )