Kingston, or Ballantyne the Brave,

Or Cooper of the wood and wave:

So be it also! And may I

And all my pirates share the grave

Where these and their creations lie!

-Robert Louis Stevenson

"Treasure Island"

------------------------------------------------

Wow! Now that's the way to sell a book! Not bad for one of the books to keep piracy alive into the 20th and subsequently 21st Centuries... obviously it worked, because just look where I am posting this...!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

I just got done reading that book again! Grand adventure. Who cares what anachronisms and myths it perpetuates, once you find yourself caught up in pages.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I just got done reading that book again! Grand adventure. Who cares what anachronisms and myths it perpetuates, once you find yourself caught up in its pages.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

So Stevenson himself did write this poem? Stupid question, maybe -- but me version of "Treasure Island" is missing the poem, so I'm curious.

Either way -- bloody good verse, it is. :)

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

Me still has the copy I were giv'n as a child an' ev'n now me pulls it offen the bookshelf, shakes the dust offen it, and reads it again.

Classics be timeless an' only improve wif age. :)

Yeah Stevenson himself wrote the poem. Drew the map too. At Syracuse University in the rare collections area of the library they have a first edition that belonged to Stevenson which is full of handwritten notes in the margins by him, pointing out errata in the typsetting that he wants fixed for future editions....I got to read through it firsthand....was amazing!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

WOW!! Truly awesome! Yup, I just finished reading it for about the thirtieth time... just started "Porto BelloGold"... quite good so far... and Captain Blood came in the mail today!!!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."