Remodeled POTC in Disneyland

Captain Tito

I read a blip on the net that some time ago, Disneyland in Cally, remodeled their POTC ride to make it, as it said, "more politically correct".

Now I rode it back in 83.

What did they change? What was wrong, that was "corrected"?

What do any of you ride fan mateys feel about it?

Was it worth the effort? :o Feel free to share thy mightyest wisdom on this issue so I mayest be enlightened.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I have never been on the ride *Sadness* but I heard they took out some of the wenches. :) Can't remember what else they took out. Stupid to me, they are taking the pirate-ness out of it. :o

"Grrrrr!"-My dog

"When life isn't all that peachy, eat an apple. Moron."-Shorty The Gothic Sausage

Originally the pirates were auctioning off wenches and chasing wenches all over the town. Women's groups complained so they changed the women to chickens. So the pirates were auctioning off poultry and chasing poultry. :o

Good news is they changed it back. Last time I went they didn't have all the original stuff, but it was pretty darn close. :o

I remember riding it when the ride first came out and after the "change."

~ Jack Bartholemew

There's also a scene where a pirate chases a buxom wench around and around. Didn't the swap them so the wench was chasing the pirate , thus condoning female empowerment? :o

Incidentally if you get the POTC dvd, they have some amazing footage of the classic ride from the time of it's creation. It's almost as good as being there!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I was just there in December.

The "wench auction" is still there, but instead of pirates chasing wenches in another part of the ride the pirates are chasing wenches with food - as if they are after the food and not the women. (yeah, right)

And the Reubenesque wench is still chasing that skinny pirate, as she always has been, but this time the pirate is holding a cooked chicken and the woman is holding a rolling pin.

One cute addition to the ride is at then end when you're "ascending the waterfall" there are two pirates trying to drag a sledge with a huge pile of treasure on it up the incline (which of course is too heavy for them). If you look closely at the treasure, there is the portrait of Blackbeard from the Disney movie "Blackbeard's Ghost".

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

El Pirata - it's one Disc 2. "Pirates In The Parks". There is a classic Disney featurette from the late 60's hosted by Walt all about the making of the ride. If you have a DVDrom you can pop Disc 2 in your pc and watch a great documentary on the ride with footage, and there is a "virtual ride" that lets you exlore all the vignettes from the ride in a quicktime movie. Neat stuff.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Originally the pirates were auctioning off wenches and chasing wenches all over the town. Women's groups complained so they changed the women to chickens. So the pirates were auctioning off poultry and chasing poultry. <_<

;););)

Was that when they were calling the ride, "Colorful Chicken-Pluckers of the Caribbean?" ;);););)

Oh, those WHACKY kids at Disney! ;)

Glad they changed it back!

Cap'n Slappy

Was that when they were calling the ride, "Colorful Chicken-Pluckers of the Caribbean?" :lol::lol::P:P

Oh, those WHACKY kids at Disney! :P

Glad they changed it back!

Cap'n Slappy

Same here, same here. Man, as if the world isn't taking PC-ness overboard (har!) enough these days . . . Sigh.

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

I grew up in Anaheim, so this was one of my favorite rides, along with the Peter Pan ride and Mr Toads.

From the change they changed the Pirates chasing the wenches at the town they had sacked, and made the wenches carring food so that the pirates were chasing the "food" and not the um...wenches.

Did they change it again?

Heck! They change the BEST ride, but leave It's a Small World! Where's the Humanity in that?

I still remember how ticked everyone was at Knotts when they change the Bosenberry ride (smelled like bosenberry's) to the Kingdom of the Dinasaures, but they redemed theselves with Kingdom of the Lounge Lizards during Knotts Scarry Farm.