Help from Kass, or other seamstess/tailors?

MadL

Ok, not really a "Thieves Market" item but not really sure if this should go t' Capt'n Twill either B)

This is a question for those who have experience with needle 'n thread:

When working with LONG threads, how do ye avoid 'twists'? I mean, I an needle stitching a bamboo needle case and using 4-ply hemp. Th' length I cut from th' ball be 3+ times me arm's length as notes state "always cut longer for it is better then coming up short" - I have also read of sailors 'pulling long length' when sewing in period...but th' issue I am running int' is that this long length tends to 'Twist' sorely as I pull it though. As I said I am using 4-ply hemp sail twine with a sailor's needle, but is there a secret to minimize th' twine from twisting as I draw it through each hitch??

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I try not to use a length of thread too long... But other than that, waxing the thread helps me, and when you are stitching, try not to twist the needle as you pull, and every now and again check and untwist the thread as necessary..

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Ok, not really a "Thieves Market" item but not really sure if this should go t' Capt'n Twill either B)

This is a question for those who have experience with needle 'n thread:

When working with LONG threads, how do ye avoid 'twists'? I mean, I an needle stitching a bamboo needle case and using 4-ply hemp. Th' length I cut from th' ball be 3+ times me arm's length as notes state "always cut longer for it is better then coming up short" - I have also read of sailors 'pulling long length' when sewing in period...but th' issue I am running int' is that this long length tends to 'Twist' sorely as I pull it though. As I said I am using 4-ply hemp sail twine with a sailor's needle, but is there a secret to minimize th' twine from twisting as I draw it through each hitch??

I agree, wax the thread and use shorter lengths. The longer lengths slows you down and you can sew much more efficently with lengths of about your arm's length.

But I sew clothing, not sails, so I cannot address how sailors actually sewed their sails.

Thanks everyone, looks like I have been doing just what everyone suggests even Michaelsbagley's wetting of th' line and dropping of th' needle - only I am using a much longer length, me own mum always told me t' work with a piece "arms length" but in this case as it is 4-ply hemp and I am needle hitching it around a small bamboo tube, I didn't want knots in all around my in hitch work, I am shooting for one full, solid hitch...not sure if three full arm lengths are necessary, maybe two would do but this is me first attempt at such so I didn't want t' fall short with only an inch t' go...

I'll keep un-twist'n it as I go then, and be more careful as I pass th' needle through as well, I had not been thinking about that, but it is a 'curve ended' sail needle so I think that should help t' reduce such a twisting action....but maybe not, I did start this last night while partake'n in a wee night cap :blink:

For certain projects, especially fine leather work, you want to use enough thread so that you are NOT constantly stopping and starting again with a new, short piece... like Mickey says stop and let your needles drop and untwist, but the number one help is to wax your threads... beeswax.. it helps a ton...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Sterling told me a basic at PiP. Don't loop the thread through the needle and sew ...thread both ends through the eye and knot the looped end. Works wonderfully.

Try as I might, I can't picture how this could work? Obviously I am failing to grasp the concept. I am imagining a needle with two loose ends of thread out one side of the eye, and a length of double threads with a knotted loop out the other side!

I think what Capt'n Sterling said, I think knots would also make it tough with Needle Hitching as ye would have troubles gett'n some o' them knots t' fit through small hitching and it would toss th' pattern off and be noticeable, especially when using large oversized line since I am not using modern thin stuff like some of the knotting sites use (mostly various synthetic lines).

Here is what I got so far, I am getting a system down that has greatly reduced th' twisting I was experiencing last night; I find th' biggest enemy it t' pull th' line through 'loose', keeping tension on it at all times really helps a lot:

'Work In Progress' photo over in Captian Twill forum

Thanks everyone for th' suggestions, they all have help emensily!

No, just tis a silly way I knot my first thread.... I'll take a picture soon and post it... tis more of an embroiderer's knot so there is less bulk on the wrong side of the fabric...just as snug and keeps the double thread from getting out of whack...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I think what Capt'n Sterling said, I think knots would also make it tough with Needle Hitching as ye would have troubles gett'n some o' them knots t' fit through small hitching and it would toss th' pattern off and be noticeable, especially when using large oversized line since I am not using modern thin stuff like some of the knotting sites use (mostly various synthetic lines).

Here is what I got so far, I am getting a system down that has greatly reduced th' twisting I was experiencing last night; I find th' biggest enemy it t' pull th' line through 'loose', keeping tension on it at all times really helps a lot:

'Work In Progress' photo over in Captian Twill forum

Thanks everyone for th' suggestions, they all have help emensily!

Perhaps this may help ~ I personally sew with Looong lengths (2-3 arm lengths) of thread. I pull the tail end quite far through the needle, essentially halving the amount of "thread" being pulled through the work, and keeping a fingernail close to the working area to prevent/control knotting or twisting. Periodically, I also let the needle drop to un-twist.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

I pull the tail end quite far through the needle, essentially halving the amount of "thread" being pulled through the work, and keeping a fingernail close to the working area to prevent/control knotting or twisting. Periodically, I also let the needle drop to un-twist.

Aye Mary Diamond, I have done that in th' past as well when sewing cloth with regular thread, actually I even used that when I did me Market Wallet so I was able t' go all way round with just one piece. But I find this hemp and marlin twine t' be rougher and as I am hitching 'fancy knots' on a hard surface rather then going through soft cloth it somehow made me think the friction may have a bad effect in the end, especially as I want a real tight hitch....good thing I reconsidered too! :ph34r: As it turns out, this hemp sail twine UNRAVELS on the 'loose' side o' th' eye (take a look at it in th' photo at the above link!)

Capt'n Sterling; after I thought on it a while I think I see th' advantage of your 'basic" t' which Silkie speaks, however naught for this 'knotting' project as it be single line sew'n; but I still wonder - what kind of needle are ye using...for cloth now, not th' sailor's needle I am using here, for them what I have do naught have Eyes large enough t' pass a double line o' thread through! :ph34r:

Sure ye can... years of practice I guess... if not try a needle threader... I like the shorts myself... the smaller the eye the better, although they will break with the heavier wools...

Crewe of the Archangel

Sterling told me a basic at PiP. Don't loop the thread through the needle and sew ...thread both ends through the eye and knot the looped end. Works wonderfully.
Try as I might, I can't picture how this could work? Obviously I am failing to grasp the concept. I am imagining a needle with two loose ends of thread out one side of the eye, and a length of double threads with a knotted loop out the other side!

That's it ...seemed strange to me also but it worked and I made it all the way to the end of the thread with "twisting" knots! Edited by Silkie McDonough

Sure ye can... years of practice I guess... if not try a needle threader... I like the shorts myself... the smaller the eye the better, although they will break with the heavier wools...

:ph34r: Hold on now! I thought we was talk'n sew'n, with needles 'n thread??

Personally I like mine bright eye'd; short ones, tall ones, I like 'em all. :ph34r:

....break 'em with heavier wools :ph34r: