Ye want a full Size 9 pounder?

Graydog

The Cannon Super Store is offering the following Cavet Emptor item. (Go to the webpage and look at the photo’s fer yerself if thar be an interest. The add is ¾ down the page)

Cannon Super Store Add

Text of add:

This is a very hard to find full size reproduction of a 9 pounder Naval cannon. It is very heavy duty and includes a custom made duel axle trailer with a spare tire and ammo and tool boxes, implements, ramps, etc. It is about 25 years old and needs to be restored. The carriage is good, but needs repair to the front axle which is made of oak wood.

Overall barrel length: 93 inches (7.75 feet)

Bore: 4.25 inches

Complete set-up with trailer etc. is priced at:

$8,495 US, Plus delivery costs or pick up FREE in southern Maine

Note: The trailer is not licensed and needs new tires and temporary lights to move it.

Anybody have any comments? To me it looks like they failed to put any "reproduction period" markings on the tube when it was made and I don't know what those numbers are for on the tube. I put this in this area of the pub as I thought there might be some desire to speak about the gun, more than a serious announcement of it being for sale. That's also a give away price, so this gets all kinds of buyer beware signal flares going off.

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

;)

Ye be an EVIL man, Greydog! Evil... absolutely EVIL!

Damnit.. YES I want a bleedin' cannon! :angry:

Can't bloody well have one at the moment. ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

thats hot

One thing about the bigger bore pieces that Lawrence and I have come to the conclusion on, is that when yer makin bangs, bigger ain't better. Optmum size of the bore seems to be right around two inches, where ya get tha biggest bang fer tha buck. Smaller, ya do get less bang. And with increasing tha bore beyond two inches you have to put in more and more powder, as the ignition is tending to blow more of the unburned charge down the barrel. While I don't know what the breech pressure curve is for this, I would expect that keeping sound level equal, the increased charge amounts as the bore size increases results in an steeply rising increase in breech pressure, which ain't good matey. When I sleeved my bronze Verbruggen from 3 inches down to 2 inches, I was able to use two-thirds the powder and get more noise.

Anybody have any comments? To me it looks like they failed to put any "reproduction period" markings on the tube when it was made and I don't know what those numbers are for on the tube.

I would guess the numbers are the weight of the cannon in hundredweights

""English anvils were often marked in hundredweight, the marking consisting of three numbers, indicating hundredweight, quarter hundredweight and pounds. For example, a 3-1-5, if such an anvil existed, would be 3x112 lb + 1x28 lb + 5 lb = 369 lb

So 22-2-11 would be (hundredweights) 22 x 112 = 2,464 (Quarter hundredweights) 2 x 28 = 56

and 11 additional pounds adding up to 2,531 pounds The number four on the trunion I believe to be the casting number, I assume that there was a one, a two and a three, or maybe the two xx's mean this was number 24?

but I am pretty sure on the hundredweight system, both my anvils are numbered that way.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

http://www.anthro.fsu.edu/research/uw/rese...nnon_fowey.html

this site documents the raising of a British 9 lb cannon. It states the following....

""On the top of the cannon was inscribed the British Broad Arrow, an arrow mark that designated official British royal property. Adjacent to the broad arrow are the numbers "26-0-23," which signify the weight of the cannon in hundredweights (112 pounds) and fractions of hundredweights. The weight of the cannon, according to its inscription, is 2,935 pounds. This exact weight was confirmed in the laboratory.""

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Thank you for the information & website!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!