Stays ~

Mary Diamond

I am sooo excited. Aren’t these BEAUTIFUL!?!

3509806497_f1ccb765e9.jpg

Thanks to the skillful work of Haunting Lily, I now have a lovely Fancy set of Stays! Thank you Haunting Lily for your wonderful, creative ability and skill!

I cannot wait to receive these and try them on!

Just woke up from a nap (at home Ill today, ugh), but it is my sleep laden eyes, or did Haunting Lil take the extra time and effort to line the pattern up on the pattern of the fabric? Wow! freaking fantastic!

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are fantastic! I'm so jealous both of the lady who gets to wear them and the one who made them! Just lovely.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Thank you. Detail oriented or obsessive compulsive? Take your pick, LOL I lined up the pattern as best as I could. It's a little off in a few places but I'm happy it worked out. I just pray they fit.

Get well soon Michael

Edited by Haunting Lily

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Incredibly stunning. Nice attention to detail and LOVE the fabric.

:::le sigh:::

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

The placard said "Brocaded Silk - English (Spitalfields): 1720 -25."

Man...you must have loved going over to London, didn't you?! :P ...I wish I could have gone with you.

Anyway...Yes, that's what I saw too...Spitalfield fabric made by the Huguenots...or perhaps a Jacobean print, just about the time 1714 or so...during the time of the Rebellion.

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

The placard said "Brocaded Silk - English (Spitalfields): 1720 -25."

Jack, was this example white silk with blue embroidery or did the colors change over time?

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

Speaking of brocade silk, here's my fancy stays that I've been working on. Since I've never worked with silk before, I didn't want to start experimenting on stays that weren't mine. B)

stays032.jpg

There's been a lot of talk about making stays out of linen and wool but I can't seem to recall much about working with silk. Originally I started out with just a plain cream silk. Oi, the mistakes I made on that attempt. I thought because the fabric was plain that I could sew it together with the interlining and do the boning channels. It came out so crinkly and looked so horrible, I tossed them out.

Anyone else care to share their experience with working on silk stays???

Well...I can't say that I've done Stays of silk...but I did try my hand on a mid-1880's corset.

It wasn't pretty either. I really had to pin the heck out of it, but in doing so...managed to be bloodied in the process! I cannot tell you the amount how frustrated it was to remove the blood only to leave behind water stains.

Haunting Lily, you managed wonderfully on my silk stays...thank you.

Member of "The Forsaken"

So I'm wondering, would it be wrong, if you had a correct pattern(one that fits the lady), could you cut the whole thing out of one piece of fabric?

I guess the biggest draw back would be no adjustment with the seams. MMmm.....

Also how much reed boning have you gals needed to do one set of stays? I need to order some for my lady.

So I'm wondering, would it be wrong, if you had a correct pattern(one that fits the lady), could you cut the whole thing out of one piece of fabric?

Also how much reed boning have you gals needed to do one set of stays? I need to order some for my lady.

Never having worn stays... I couldn;t say for sure or not... But as someone who makes a lot of garments and has made a lot of mistakes in learning to make garments, the one peice of fabric idea does not sound wise. Fabrics have some give and strecth to them, even fabrics that don't seem to, often actual do have some stretch... By using one piece of fabric, you will be altering the direction of the grain of the fabric you are using which may actually make the garment not fit as well, or not "move" as well, or drap well etc.

Just my two cents worth.

But I have thought of it before myself, it is a great idea in theory.... :angry:

Michael_banner.jpg

I don't think it would look right. I also thought about it but decided against it. We try so hard to make things look as appropriate as possible, why cheat now. That was my thought anyway. You said it very well Michael.

I've been using the full oval reed from Booth Draper. I get 2 sets from one bundle.

I agree with Mickey on this one...fabrics (normally wool and linen) have some give to them and adjusting to fit could be a problem. Remember, stays (and corsets) are courture, therefore, everyone would have to be measured for a perfect fit.

As for how much cane/reed (1/4" half rounded Reed)....Depending on the person, I can get two (2) sets of stays from them.

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

Basic science... you can't fit a 2 dimensional object(basically a flat two sided, front and back piece) to a three dimensional object, the human body, without seams... they give fit and shape...simple... since most female bodies are a far cry from 2 dimensional, seems give shape to the fabric, boning then forces the body to adhere to the desired shape... if you were to wrap a body in 2 dimensional fabric there would be gaps and bulges... once those bulges and gaps are pinned and fitted to the body you have your seams/darts... and a nicer shape.

The grain of the fabric is what is crucial to the "hang" of the fabric not the seams... although depending on how one wants to affect the hang, seams are then placed along the desired grain...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I bought Flat Oval Reed 1/4" 1 Pound Coil Approx 275' from joann.com ($11.72 including S&H) and I believe that I will get two sets from it ...although one may have to be half boned. :rolleyes:

While I love the reed I've purchased from Booth Draper, right now they only carry the 1/4" full oval reed. So, I've been searching for other sources and came upon this place. While speaking to the woman about the reed, I learned I'm not the only one using their products to make 17th & 18th century corsets. I can't attest to the product yet but I did order some of their 1/4" half round. The price was 9.95 (not including S&H)

http://www.basketmakerscatalog.com/Merchan...egory_Code=REED

Edited by Haunting Lily

For anyone one interested. There is a one week sale on reed. See the basket maker link above.

1/4" Flat Oval Reed Code: 3314P

1/4

Regular Price $9.95

Sale Price: $5.95

Quantity in Cart: None

Order Qty:

1/4" Flat Oval is great for uprights, weavers, rims and chair bottoms. You'll be surprised at the variety and texture that Flat Ovals add to your baskets. Approximately 275 feet per pound.