Stays ~

Mary Diamond

How mysterious. :rolleyes:

So...you have a busk in your other stays? Do you just have a pocket sewn in on the lining or is it done another way? I apologize for asking as I have never had a busk in any of my stuff and they are curious to me. And you know....I didn't peek in your stays at RF 5. LOL. Ahem.

Banner.jpg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right Silkie. :blink:

Can I please get through a pair of stays without having to remove the straps. This time was a little better. I only had to do a partial removal and it only took a few minutes to fix. Hopefully the mailman will be here soon and I can start working on the binding.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

It can be done... start listing what terms/words/techniques you don't comprehend...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Oo! Well, what prompted the question was edge binding - which I'm guessing is what goes over the edges of the top and bottom of about everything? My initial confusion came from the "binding" in there, as I immediately jumped to the reeds or ridgeline or whatever was being used to give the support to the garment...and I couldn't wrap my hear around that being used in an edge somehow...heh. But then we got to twill tape and I was lost again!

Cotton twill tape is what I used the bind the edges of my stays. You can see it pretty clearly in this pic. Other materials can be used instead of twill tape. As Kate suggested, you can make your own using the leftover fabric. Did that answer your question?

stays007.jpg

Linen twill tape or self fabric, but now to recall Rose in a recent conversation, all the original 18th century stays she has seen up close have been bound in kid leather... Hope I got that right... and that is not to say that they did not use linen, or self fabric, or cotton twill tape, she just hasn't seen it in originals yet... Rose feel free to correct this if necessary...

there is one 1780s (yeah I know way past our time frame) bound in white silk and the pink stays (yeah I know earlier than our time frame) are bound in pink silk

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:::nods::: nope ye be right there, Sterling. Most I've seen or heard of were bound with leather of some sort. Kid or doeskin was good for it's flexibility. But, the skin was better than fabric cause it didn't allow the boning to poke through or wear out the binding as easily.

I've not had much luck finding the kid or doe skin in strips for binding and what ones I have found are pricy.

So, I suppose we go with what we can. :)

LOL... Cheeky... yes, there is a pattern I suppose... we all be working on our outfits watching fantasy or sci-fi. Heck, the other night I was working on an outfit watching Doctor Who! LOL

I think there was a glossary at some point, Jessi. But I think it was lost sometime back with that hack job and virus.

I agree, we do need a glossary.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

One of my crew mates had the opportunity to wear the stays I made for her this past weekend, but by the end of the day, the reed in one of her tabs got really bent. I actually thought she may have broken it. =(

My question is... When using reed, do you all put two lengths in per casing, or just one? Or was this simply because it was laced too tight?

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I have to admit that the binding is my least favorite part of making stays. But it's all finished. Yippeeeee!!!!!

Using 1" light blue cotton twill tape, I placed the binding upside down on the stays and backstitched into place.

stays022.jpg

Then I folded the binding over and brought it underneath to the back and whip stitched to finish.

stays023.jpg

stays024.jpg

Edited by Haunting Lily

One of my crew mates had the opportunity to wear the stays I made for her this past weekend, but by the end of the day, the reed in one of her tabs got really bent. I actually thought she may have broken it. =(

My question is... When using reed, do you all put two lengths in per casing, or just one? Or was this simply because it was laced too tight?

I use one reed per channel.

That's what I thought... Thanks. =)

And your stays look great by the way.

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

When using a busk, where does it go? I made a "pocket" for it like I would normally make the channels for boning, but I think it looks funny. Is it better to make a separate pocket and stitch it to the lining?

Thanks!

Ah.. I was trying to devise a way to make them a little stronger. I've added linen canvas to the interlining of the set I'm working on now (finally a set for me!) in order to make them a little stiffer/ stronger. I was also thinking of trying to double up the reed at least once per tab, so long as it doesn't look weird. I have extreme curve in my own waist and would rather not be constantly breaking reed. lol. I've never had to worry before with steel. =P I'll let you know how that goes.

What type of reed are you using Lady Brower?

I ask because there are different types of wood reeding. Up until now I have been using the 1/4" flat oval reed. But recently I purchased 1/4" full oval. It's a little more difficult to work with in regards to trimming but it does have more strength than flat oval.

As for buscs, it should replace the center reeds. In my blue stays, I made a separate pocket and stitched to the interlining. If you go back to the first page of this thread, post #2 has a good example of busc placement.

Edited by Haunting Lily

I've been using the 1/4 flat oval. I'll have to look for the full oval. Thanks!